This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great GUI tool !!

Read an article for "QGRUBEditor". Downloaded and installed. I have to say, this tool is great for those who are more GUI oriented and don't like to mess with the menu.lst file directly. You still need to know some basic GRUB information, but this tool is very well designed. gdebi handled all of the dependencies for me and it worked beautifully.

QGRUBEditor

Re: Great GUI tool !!

Nice find -- thanks Moonrise!

Comment

Was never sure how to do a GRUB splash. This helped me get that in place. My entire boot process from GRUB to Login is now completely personalized !!!

Comment

A very polished application! The developer really did a nice job on this on.

For those interested, the developer says: "QGRUBEditor's development has stopped and a new project has begun aiming to continue QGRUBEditor's successful evolution. It is named KGRUBEditor and in fact it is QGRUBEditor re-written in the KDE4 libraries. ... If you are interested in watching KGRUBEditor's development you may find its code in this SVN repository: https://kgrubeditor.svn.sourceforge....t/kgrubeditor"
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for that update! I'll definitely watch its progress.

Comment

Hopefully this will helps those who want to customize the way GRUB appears for those who may dual boot. It isn't too useful when you just have Kubuntu installed and the menu hidden.

Code:
            First lets Start with the GRUB splash. It is simple and adds an initial first appeal at boot. Three things
            to remember when adding a Splash to GRUB. The picture needs to be (1) 640x480, (2) 14 colors and (3) Its
            file format needs to be XPM and compressed as xpm.gz . Once done, that file needs to reside somewhere
            logical. I chose “/boot/grub” since that is where GRUB's menu.lst resides. You will need root access to
            properly add that file there. I would first open Konqueror as root, navigate to “/boot/grub”. From another
            file manager window where the file is, right click on it and Copy. Go to the root konqueror session, right click
            in there and Paste File.

Once the file is in place, menu.lst needs to be edited. Instead of manually editing that file, download the
            Ubuntu package for QGRUBEditor here -
            [url]http://www.qt-apps.org/content/show.php/QGRUBEditor?content=60391[/url]
            Install the package and run QGRUBEditor which should show up in the K-menu under System. Do not
            change anything in the first tab of QGRUBEditor (Tab labeled “GRUB Entries”). Click on the Tab labeled
            “GRUB Settings”. Make sure that “Hidden Menu” is not selected. Go to the bottom and make sure “Splash
            Image” is selected. Click the Browse button and go to “/boot/grub”. Select the file that was copied to that
            location and click Open. That file and path should now be listed in the Splash Image line. Go to File then
            Quit. When you reboot, you should now see your custom GRUB splash.

Comment

qgrubeditor is in the hardy repos, there's some discussion on it here:
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089325.0

Comment

That's cool! I don't know how it will run in Hardy. From what I read in your link, it seemed people have problems with it in Hardy, but it really works great for me in Gutsy! It is a very well put together app.

Comment

Yes it is great. I have been using it for a while.

One word of caution:
                  When you have more than two os's on your machine and want to edit the menue.list entry for a given os watch for the root entry. Sometimes it doesn't show the right partition.
                  Example: My Hardy is on (hd0,10) but in edit mode QGRUBEditor constantly wants to use (hd0,2) when applying changes. so I have to manually tell it to use (hd0,10) and click okay instead of apply.

Otherwise it is great
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Awesome!!!
                    Asus G1S-X3:
                    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Thanks for the Heads Up on that "little" issue. That could cause quite a fuss.

Comment

That could cause quite a fuss.
                        Tell me about it

took me a awhile to figure out why none my other os's were not booting any more :P
                        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hey guys, I am QGRUBEditor's developer and as you may have probably noticed, I have released the first version of KGRUBEditor. (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=75442).

Since you are interested in my application, I think you should give KGRUBEditor a shot because it is way much better. I am looking for new features to add and would really appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately KGRUBEditor won't be on Hardy's repos because last Thursday there was a feature freeze, so no more additions. However, this is not 100% sure.

By the way Fintan what happened to you was kind of expected. Editing another OS's file includes complicated speculations which is why QGRUBEditor wasn't able to find the real root. This is fixed in KGRUBEditor however :-) (Along with way too many other things)

Anyway, if anyone tests KGRUBEditor let me know. And check the Color Preview. It's awesome.

PS: In the homepage above I even include some video-tutorials. If you aren't in a mood of installing KGRUBEditor see the tutorials and you'll get a good preview of it.

Comment

Going to look at it now. Thanks! Great program by the way. Good tool to understand GRUB.

Comment

I just installed it brought it up. Looks interesting! Let's see what I can break with it!

Comment

Working...
                              X