Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2. Muon package manager is not installed by default...

- Thread: Muon[s] future ?

3. ...kuser with new Plasma 5 user manager options or lightdm with kdm...

- Thread: User Management

- SDDM: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple...isplay_Manager

4. qtcurve is not installable...

-
    qtcurve cannot be installed due to missing dependency libkdecorations4abi2: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e/+bug/1452218
    wily qtcurve: http://packages.ubuntu.com/wily/qtcurve
    Try Me !

Comment

Originally posted by gnomek View Post
      Today I tested Wily and I noticed:

1. In system settings → Password and user account → Change password option shows error: "the internal program "kdepasswd" could not be found." It needs to be installed manually. I guess it should be installed by default as dependency.
      I don't see this in my Wily install - I don't even have a "password and user account" section - it is 'Account Details". and changing passwords works just fine - it does not use or need kdepasswd.
      However, if you have installed kuser, you would think would pull in if that is what it needs to manage passwords, so it could be a packaging bug in kuser that needs reporting.

2. Muon package manager is not installed by default. Hmmm, I can install it myself, no problem, but I think it would be better if it was available in default set of programs that come with installation. More advanced users need it anyway.
      Mion Discover has been the default package manager, with Muon Package manager not installed by default, for a number of releases now. One tool for each job is a goal for the distro (as is striving to keep the iso image to a certain size), and Discover covers more people's needs more of the time over the advanced package manager.

3. I noticed that there is a trend to make Kubuntu simple by replacing old good full-featured apps with simple one, for example compare kuser with new Plasma 5 user manager options or lightdm with kdm - lightdm can't autologin after logout (only after system restart). But it can become not simple but simplistic.
      We are 'advanced users' here. Don't you think that the old kuser as the main way for The Average User to add users or change their passwords is completely confusing
      Seriously, though, there is no "trend", just a couple of things overall, and many if the changes over the years have had reasons other than simplicity as one of the reasons fo switch - kdm is old and not maintained and harder to support, for example. the "new" user-manager system settings module has actually been used since Raring 13.04, and has the same layout and (lack of advanced) features.

4. qtcurve is not installable - very bad, I hope it just wasn't packed yet for Wily and not abandoned. In my opinion qcture gives a lot more than breeze (at least so far).
      kde-style-qtcurve-qt5 installed just fine for me....

Comment

Today I tested Wily and I noticed:

1. In system settings → Password and user account → Change password option shows error: "the internal program "kdepasswd" could not be found." It needs to be installed manually. I guess it should be installed by default as dependency.
        Claydoh has already provided an excellent reply to your problems.

I am wondering how you installed Wily. If you did a clean install with nothing left from previous versions, you shouldn't have problems. Otherwise, if you have separate root and home partitions and your installation had the home partition from a previous version, the hidden files from the previous version could give you problems. I have fallen foul of problems with this approach in that some of the parameters in the hidden files can cause problems. I am wondering if your system settings are invoked by systemsettings5?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          I don't see this in my Wily install - I don't even have a "password and user account" section - it is 'Account Details". and changing passwords works just fine - it does not use or need kdepasswd.

Yestarday I tried to install qtcurve package

but today I first installed kde-style-qtcurve-qt5 and then other packages successfully.

The new version of Muon Discover indeed has more functionality than it was in KDE 4 but still there is no option for locking the package version (prevent upgrading).

And it is buggy:

It didn't show the details so I don't know what went wrong.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot27.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	643003

This is what mine looks like, a fresh install. Note the differences - you have 2 user config sections

I would guess you may have hit an upgrade bug, perhaps?

Comment

I am starting to wonder if I am getting too old fashioned as I like to use a Launcher with cascaded popup menus. I tried to use this launcher to add an application to an empty panel which stores my frequently used applications. This launcher failed to cooperate. The only way I could do it was to add the default launcher which allowed me to add the application to the empty panel.

Does anyone else, who uses the cascaded menu have this problem, or am I the only one who uses this approach now?

Comment

I think there is no such option. But if you run an application you can pin it to panel (right mouse click on panel when an application is running and use option show an activator when not running).

Comment

Sorry to say that what you suggest fails to work for me. My empty panel on the left side of my desktop, which has applications in it, looks like this.

Name:	Panel.jpg
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	643008

I can assure you that the entries on this were originally placed there by firstly left mouse clicking on the "K" followed by selecting an application such as "Dolphin" with the left mouse key held down, and then dragging it to the above panel. When doing this, the Widgets have to be unlocked.

As I stated in my previous post, this approach no longer works with the "K" for cascading popups but it does work for the standard "K".

Comment

I guess you are talking about application menu called Kicker

You can report a bug for the feature you want
                    https://bugs.kde.org/describecompone...ct=plasmashell

I believe you that you were able to do that.

I just gave you an alternative way to get similar results. Of course to achieve the visual and functional effect you want you should use Icons-only Task Manager.

Comment

I guess you are talking about application menu called Kicker
                      No, I am not. I am talking about having applications listed in an empty panel that are quickly invoked with a single click rather than going through "K" to ferret out the application. I get a different listing when I right mouse click to what you showed in the example of Kicker. What I get is:

Name:	Panel1.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	643012

You can report a bug for the feature you want
                      https://bugs.kde.org/describecompone...ct=plasmashell

I believe you that you were able to do that.
                      Yes I will try to jump through all the hoops to report this bug.

I just gave you an alternative way to get similar results. Of course to achieve the visual and functional effect you want you should use Icons-only Task Manager.
                      This sounds like a complicated way to achieve this. What I did was install the widget for the default "K" and use that to drag the applications that I want into the empty panel.

Comment

ya,,,,,,,,guess I'll take 15.04 to 15.10 ,,,,,,,with a "do-release-upgrade -d" and see what happens ,,,,,,

Code:
                                [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]Checking package manager [/COLOR]
                        Reading package lists... Done     
                        Building dependency tree           
                        Reading state information... Done 
                        Building data structures... Done  

Calculating the changes 

Calculating the changes 

Do you want to start the upgrade?  

81 packages are going to be removed. 130 new packages are going to be  
                        installed. 1381 packages are going to be upgraded.  

You have to download a total of 984 M. This download will take about  
                        29 minutes with your connection.  

Installing the upgrade can take several hours. Once the download has  
                        finished, the process cannot be canceled.  

Continue [yN]  Details [d]n 

Restoring original system state 

Aborting 
                        Reading package lists... Done     
                        Building dependency tree           
                        Reading state information... Done 
                        Building data structures... Done  
                        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ 

[/FONT]
                        maybe later tonight

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I've been using Wily for the past two weeks and haven't found anything that doesn't work. I have been impressed by everything that it does. I'll keep this and probably upgrade to the 16.04 alpha when its available. Thanks to all of the developers, this is a very good alpha 2. I'm looking forward to the release in October.

Comment

Today I decided to replace the Kubuntu 14.10 version on my Laptop with 15.10 and make it my "production" PC as Utopic was at its end of life. I had to have several goes to get the install working as I had a USB 3.0 disc with Vivid on my Laptop as well. When I removed this, all went well after I created a UFI partition. I used the downloaded iso file for the 25th August and I have separate root and home partitions. The latter I always do my best to not destroy. So far this hasn't happened.

The main problem that I have at the moment is that I cannot change sources with either Muon or Muon Discover. I am wondering if this is because in a matter of hours the Beta 1 will be released. I ended up installing Synaptic to change the sources.

On odd thing that I always have to do, is install Adobe Reader as this makes Skype work correctly. Before installing this package, a preview from Skype of my webcam image gives a zoomed image that spans over my auxiliary and laptop monitors - not a pretty site.

Comment

The muon thing is a bug, it is not opening software-properties-kde, which is the external python program used in Kubuntu. With Synaptic, you also installed software-properties-gtk, which is the external python program used in Unity, et al.

You can run the software sources app by running kdesudo software-properties-kde in krunner or terminal.

As for Skype, that could possibly be related to where the package comes from. I have found in the past the package from the Canonical Partner repo usually has fewer, but more accurate dependencies than the one available directly from Skype themselves. That one usually wants the whole kitchen sink, as does the deprecated Acrobat reader. I'll bet it is one file of the many that does it for you, but which one it could be, I could not tell you.

But really now, what's wrong with seeing yourself over 2 screens??

Comment

The muon thing is a bug, it is not opening software-properties-kde, which is the external python program used in Kubuntu. With Synaptic, you also installed software-properties-gtk, which is the external python program used in Unity, et al.

You can run the software sources app by running kdesudo software-properties-kde in krunner or terminal.
                                Thanks for the tips. I was able to change sources with Synaptic without installing "software-properties-gtk". When I tested this package for installation, it was going to bring in a lot of gnome packages which I didn't want. Using "software-properties-kde" worked great - thanks very much.
                                As for Skype, . . . .

. . . . But really now, what's wrong with seeing yourself over 2 screens??
                                Not only was the image over two screen, but 3/4 of my face was missing - not a pretty sight.

Comment

Working...
                                X