This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be Wily and Enjoy the Progress of Kubuntu 15.10

I have just found out that Kubuntu 15.10 is available at the daily build site used for Vivid, ie http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/.

I have downloaded it and had several goes at installing it and I have only had one success on my last attempt. I installed it in a separate partition and it stopped at a black screen. I then used the recovery mode and rebooted with a low resolution screen but I could not do a normal boot. I then removed all the partitions and defined a separate root and home directory for 15.10 and once again I ended up with a black screen and no disk activity.

I then decided to try the entire disk option in the installation. This time, after the reboot, it once again ended up with the black screen. As I have other things to do, I returned after about 30 minuted later and decided to just type in my password. This then sprung into life and I got the desktop.

I am sure that my problems are related to the video driver and I need to install the drivers. So tomorrow, I plan to do my fourth installation with separate root and home partitions and will choose the option to automatically login and then install the video drivers.

By the way, Wily Werewolf has Plasma 5.2.2

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
    By the way, Wily Werewolf has Plasma 5.2.2
    Backports and beta ppas recently added Wily. And now it has disappeared. I thought it was early for Wily to be showing up in ppas.

I had good luck with a 15.04 iso and manually changing to wily in sources.list.
    Last edited by ronw; May 10, 2015, 08:14 AM. Reason: Fix ppa; fix ppas part deux

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
      Backports and beta ppas recently added Wily. And now it has disappeared. I thought it was early for Wily to be showing up in ppas.
      It is certainly early days and I am looking forward to seeing improvements in Wily over Vivid. I now have Wily installed and networked with my system. I assumed that the developers would be starting from Vivid and making changes to it in the process of evolving to Wily.

I have found that Wily is currently behind Vivid only in the Plasma version number as shown in the attached graphics. I expect to see major changes in the coming weeks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vivid.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	642864

Name:	Wily.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	642865

Comment

I have found that Wily is currently behind Vivid only in the Plasma version number
        It isn't really behind (in the official repos) you've installed Plasma 5.3 (and likely also KDE applications 15.04) from the kubuntu backports ppa in your vivid installation, these packages aren't available from the official vivid repos.

We should be getting Frameworks 5.10, Plasma 5.3.1 and KDE Applications 15.04.1 in wily fairly soonish.

Comment

Things to come

If you want to peek the 'things to come' - The KDE part: https://community.kde.org/Kubuntu/PP...ation_.28CI.29

Comment

I JUST LOVE THIS THREAD!!

woodgladthatKelliandIdecidedtoglideinsmoke

Comment

Dates to look forward to

I have found the tentative release schedule for Wily at Softpedia and the dates they give are all on a Thursday and are:
              • 25th June ---------- Alpha 1
              • 30th July ---------- Alpha 2
              • 27th August ------- Beta 1
              • 24th September ---- Final Beta
              • 22nd October ------ Release Date

I enjoy getting the constant stream of updates and none of these have yet to break my system. It is good to see it diverging from Vivid.

The only constant annoyance that I experience at the moment is with the hplip-gui not finding the system tray. Yet it puts the icon in the system tray and stays there while the error message is kept. This is the same for Vivid as well. I am sure this will one day be fixed

Name:	No_System_Tray.jpg
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	642869
              Last edited by NoWorries; May 17, 2015, 06:12 AM.

Comment

I enjoy getting the constant stream of updates
                Indeed, Wily + CI is where all the fun is now. Vivid has been released, so it needs to be stable/boring.

Comment

I never quite got the value of Vivid but I expect big things from Wily ;-). (I guess I'm just a .10 person).

Comment

It was also once said that products are only best at the end of their life cycle.

Comment

The only constant annoyance that I experience at the moment is with the hplip-gui not finding the system tray. Yet it puts the icon in the system tray and stays there while the error message is kept. This is the same for Vivid as well. I am sure this will one day be fixed

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6029[/ATTACH]
                      Same here. I did update to the latest version from the HP website but it did not make any difference.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GerardV View Post
                        Same here. I did update to the latest version from the HP website but it did not make any difference.
                        Good to know I am not the only one with this problem. I have found that after the latest update, I can connect to the printer. I use a wireless connection and it does not find the wireless, but if I use the advanced option and enter the wireless IP address it finds it and I can use the printer.

Comment

Wily Werewolf with kernel 3.19 doesn't sound very bleeding edge to me. Sounds like the same old Canonical bull... long-term unstable on new hardware. I guess someone there needs the job security of unnecessary backporting. Using a new kernel would just be too easy. Almost installed this until I saw that. 14.05 to 14.10 skipped THREE versions 3.13 to 3.16. I couldn't get my now obsolete Sandybridge laptop working until 3.15 and 3.16 doesn't work right with my new ValleyView/BayTrail one.

LONG TERM UNSTABLE

Comment

...I have downloaded it and had several goes at installing it and I have only had one success on my last attempt. I installed it in a separate partition and it stopped at a black screen. ...
                            I had the same issue yesterday, but today it at least boot to the desktop using nomodeset. Early on I know. Surprisingly Vivid works well for me.
                            Boot Info Script

Comment

I am eagerly awaiting the release of Alpha 1 in a little under a week now. Lately, I have been finding the speed of Wily slow. For example on my system, it takes 3:41 minutes from power-on to the desktop screen. I takes about 1:50 minutes to get to the login prompt. I am beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with my video driver or it is just a case of being too early and I need to do a re-install to "clean up" the system. Intend to do this with the release of the Alpha.

There have been many kernel updates lately and the current status is shown below.

Name:	Wily1.jpg
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	642907

So I am waiting patiently for the Alpha 1 to see what advancements are made with that release. Best of luck to the developers.
                              Last edited by NoWorries; Jun 18, 2015, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X