This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    ya,,,,,,,,guess I'll take 15.04 to 15.10 ,,,,,,,with a "do-release-upgrade -d" and see what happens ,,,,,,

Code:
            [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]Checking package manager [/COLOR]
    Reading package lists... Done     
    Building dependency tree           
    Reading state information... Done 
    Building data structures... Done  

Calculating the changes 

Calculating the changes 

Do you want to start the upgrade?  

81 packages are going to be removed. 130 new packages are going to be  
    installed. 1381 packages are going to be upgraded.  

You have to download a total of 984 M. This download will take about  
    29 minutes with your connection.  

Installing the upgrade can take several hours. Once the download has  
    finished, the process cannot be canceled.  

Continue [yN]  Details [d]n 

Restoring original system state 

Aborting 
    Reading package lists... Done     
    Building dependency tree           
    Reading state information... Done 
    Building data structures... Done  
    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ 

[/FONT]
    maybe later tonight

VINNY
    Well ,,,that did not go well ,,,,,,,ended up with to many dependency conflicts for the installation to continue .

DLing the .iso tonight .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

DLing the http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...ktop-amd64.iso

now

VINNY
      16GB RAM

Comment

it would not install ,,,,,,,keep getting a "ubi-timezone failed exit code 1" ,,,,,,seems it's a known bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1462688

maby a daily build will work .

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

getting the same thing from the curent daily

VINNY
          Last edited by vinnywright; Aug 27, 2015, 06:10 PM. Reason: changed 8-25-15 to curent
          16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            getting the same thing from the curent daily

VINNY
            Sorry that you are having so much trouble. I am wondering how your partitions are organized. I was successful with separate root and home partitions with a fresh install where I reformatted the root and kept the home untouched. I found that the advance of the installation process took a very long time to enter the disk organization menu. Fortunately, I was able to do other useful work while it doing all its knitting. I never take the option of accepting the recommended disk partition suggestions but do the manual definition of partitions.

I certainly hope you can get your system up and running as I am enjoying using it.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
              Sorry that you are having so much trouble. I am wondering how your partitions are organized. I was successful with separate root and home partitions with a fresh install where I reformatted the root and kept the home untouched. I found that the advance of the installation process took a very long time to enter the disk organization menu. Fortunately, I was able to do other useful work while it doing all its knitting. I never take the option of accepting the recommended disk partition suggestions but do the manual definition of partitions.

I certainly hope you can get your system up and running as I am enjoying using it.
              LOL partitions are as follows
              Code:
              vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo parted -l
              [sudo] password for vinny: 
              Model: ATA HGST HTS725050A7 (scsi)
              Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
              Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
              Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End    Size    Type      File system     Flags
               1      8225kB  323GB  323GB   primary   ext4            boot
               3      323GB   379GB  56.3GB  primary   ext4
               4      379GB   496GB  117GB   extended
               5      379GB   436GB  57.0GB  logical   ext4
               6      436GB   496GB  59.8GB  logical   ext4
               2      496GB   500GB  4295MB  primary   linux-swap(v1)

Model: ATA HGST HTS721010A9 (scsi)
              Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB
              Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
              Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name     Flags
               1      1049kB  1000GB  1000GB  btrfs        primary
              the installer is being pointed to /dev/sda5 the old 15.04 install ,,,,,,using just the / option (no separate /home) and I get through the disk setup part just fine ,,,,,it's just after that I get the "ubi-timezone failed exit code 1" error , whether I click retry or ignore in the error dialog the installer quits installing but still lets me go through the rest and keeps scrolling the advertisements ......... and is using 100% CPU as shown by "top"

@now I have tried the beta1,daily current,and daily pending with the same results.

on to an older one ,,,,,and then to a knowen good Live-usb to see if it still works

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

I notice that you do not have to deal with an EFI partition. In my several attempts to get Wily installed, I tried sever options with the root and EFI partition. I was using the manual partitioning approach and I first tried no EFI partition but that failed and I had to delete the root partition and add an EFI partition and a root partition. My partition details are as follows:
                Code:
                [COLOR=#000000]:~$ sudo parted -l [/COLOR]
                [FONT=monospace][sudo] password:  
                Model: ATA Samsung SSD 840 (scsi) 
                Disk /dev/sda: 256GB 
                Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B 
                Partition Table: gpt 
                Disk Flags:  

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name  Flags 
                 1      1049kB  256MB   255MB   fat32                 boot, esp 
                 2      256MB   12.4GB  12.1GB  ext4 
                 3      12.4GB  14.4GB  2000MB  linux-swap(v1) 
                 4      14.4GB  256GB   242GB   ext4                  msftdata 

Model: SanDisk Extreme (scsi) 
                Disk /dev/sdb: 64.0GB 
                Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B 
                Partition Table: msdos 
                Disk Flags:  

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags 
                 1      1049kB  10.0GB  9999MB  primary   ext4 
                 2      10.0GB  64.0GB  54.0GB  extended 
                 5      10.0GB  64.0GB  54.0GB  logical   ext4

[/FONT]
                The SanDisk was the USB that I had 15:04 on and I haven't tried to get that to boot yet. I have always dealt with separate root and home partitions. I am wondering if you could delete the 15.04 partition and create a root and home partition and then try the install. I assume that you can rescue the home data from sda5.

I must confess that I have never tried your approach and I hope that there is someone else on this forum that can be of assistance.

Best of Luck

Comment

I did a fresh install last week, and the installer errored at the time zone setup section, you can choose ignore and the install will continue just fine. I didn't have to go and set the time zone or anything afterwards to fix things, though it might be wise to check.

Comment

I notice that you do not have to deal with an EFI partition. In my several attempts to get Wily installed, I tried sever options with the root and EFI partition. I was using the manual partitioning approach and I first tried no EFI partition but that failed and I had to delete the root partition and add an EFI partition and a root partition. My partition details are as follows:
                    you have a UEFI mother board then ,,,,,rite?

I do not ,,,,,mine is straight BIOS

I have always dealt with separate root and home partitions. I am wondering if you could delete the 15.04 partition and create a root and home partition and then try the install. I assume that you can rescue the home data from sda5.
                    I used to do it that way as well ,,,,,but now I install it all to / ,,,,then my home DIR's (Documents Downloads Music ect,ect,ect) are made links to their counterparts in the BTRFS storage drive ,,,,this has the advantage of all my installs having the same USER data without using / space and the /home's still have their own separate configs ,,,,,,,,,,, like
                    Code:
                    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ ls -l
                    total 82924
                    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny    27392 Feb  6  2015 15.pdf
                    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny    69293 Mar 21 12:03 bcbs-3-21.pdf
                    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny    69663 Feb  6  2015 blue-2-6-.pdf
                    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny    68725 Dec 26  2014 blue.pdf
                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vinny vinny     4096 Apr 26 12:48 Desktop
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 vinny vinny       28 Jan 29  2015 Documents -> /mnt/btrfs/kubuntu/Documents
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 vinny vinny       28 Jan 29  2015 Downloads -> /mnt/btrfs/kubuntu/Downloads
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 vinny vinny       27 Jan 29  2015 dwhelper -> /mnt/btrfs/kubuntu/dwhelper
                    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny       36 Apr 14 19:55 EF-PIN
                    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny 33688483 May 18  2011 GoogleEarthLinux.bin
                    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny        2 Feb  2  2015 grubtxt
                    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny    27263 Mar 10 16:05 insur-3-10.pdf
                    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny    27687 Apr  2 16:39 insur4-2.pdf
                    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny    27437 Dec 26  2014 insur.pdf
                    drwxrwxr-x 2 vinny vinny     4096 Aug 27 22:14 iso
                    drwxrwxr-x 2 vinny vinny     4096 Mar 16 21:43 knotes
                    drwxrwxr-x 2 vinny vinny     4096 Apr  5 20:56 media
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 vinny vinny       24 Jan 29  2015 Music -> /mnt/btrfs/kubuntu/Music
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 vinny vinny       29 Jan 29  2015 MyMachines -> /mnt/btrfs/kubuntu/MyMachines
                    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny      102 Feb  8  2015 P5-URL
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 vinny vinny       27 Jan 29  2015 Pictures -> /mnt/btrfs/kubuntu/Pictures
                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vinny vinny     4096 Oct  9  2014 Public
                    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny 50772350 Aug 12  2014 Slipknot - The Negative One [OFFICIAL VIDEO]-sgA7KIwKlOE.mp4
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 vinny vinny       24 Jan 29  2015 steam -> /mnt/btrfs/kubuntu/steam
                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vinny vinny     4096 Oct 10  2014 Templates
                    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny       23 Mar 16 22:38 test2.txt
                    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny        2 Mar 16 16:08 Text File.txt
                    drwxr-xr-x 2 vinny vinny     4096 Aug  6 21:55 unknown - unknown
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 vinny vinny       25 Jan 29  2015 Videos -> /mnt/btrfs/kubuntu/Videos
                    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny    65917 Oct 13  2014 wallmart.pdf

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    I did a fresh install last week, and the installer errored at the time zone setup section, you can choose ignore and the install will continue just fine. I didn't have to go and set the time zone or anything afterwards to fix things, though it might be wise to check.
                    when I did chose Ignore it "appeared" as though the installer had froze ,,,,,,,,,,maby I sould just let it sit their for a wile .

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Mine just skipped right over to the next section. Same in a virtual machine I just tried it on.

Comment

well we are in now

but it took an act of congress
                        wana hear it ,,,,hear it goes ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

first I used dd to /dev/zero the usb stick , it had been dd'ed with a few .ISO's so just in case of any cruft left over I zeroed it .

then dded the 15.10-beta1 back to it .
                        the first install attempt I did not get the timezone data error but it froze trying to format the drive ,,,,,so I ctrl+alt+F6 to a TTY login as kubuntu with blank password and use "kill" to kill the PID of the installer (ubic aaaa whatever it's called ) which got me the live session on TTY7.

then tried to use the partition manager to format the partition ,,,,and sense their is no format option it was remove and create .
                        it could not do it ,,,,,,,and on top of not recreating the partition ,,,,,it switched sda5 to sda6 and sda6 to sda5 ,,,,,,, argh .

sda6 was Debian luckily the UUID for the Debian partition did not change and it will still boot ,,,, so not such a big deal .

SO now I boot to sda3 (Kubuntu-14.04) and "mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda6 ,,,,success ,,,,,,,should have don this first anyway but wanted to just use GUI tools present on the .ISO to see what a new user would encounter ..... the n00b would be MAD

now reboot and second install attempt ,, this time the "ubi-timezone" error was back , clicked ignore and all was good ,,,,,, it installed successfully

I think now it may have been freezing on the formatting faze on all the attempts and just showing the timezone progress display because I had hit "retry" .

any way it seems to be running well ,,,,,well at least for the last 30 minutes

now to start setting things to how I like ,,,,,,like getting rid of this boring flat look and all this glaring white shining on me and hurting my eyes

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

So glad you have Wily up and running. I had a few problems when I was doing the install. Because the system either hung or it was taking an excessive time I used the power button to close the system down. When I retried the installation, I was getting an error message saying that the home directory had 0B free. This caused the install to fail. I ended up deleting all the files on the USB installation disk and then using Startup DIsk Creator to make a new installation disk and redo the installation which then finally worked.

I am not sure if my next problem was because I have separate root and home directories, but I was having trouble with the "Device Notifier". When I inserted a USB of SD disk, I could select the "File Manager" option which would launch Dolphin, but it failed to start. What I found was that Dolphin was started with the command dolphin %u in the "K" menu. This invoked Dolphin successfully using the "K" menu. When I changed this line to dolphin it still worked correctly for the "K" and now it also worked for the "Device Notifier".

I would be interested to know if anyone else had this problem with "Device Notifier".

Comment

like the new launcher ,,,,,,,kinda

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

Upgrade problems tonight are probably self-inflicted by having the CI ppa installed at one point but now disabled. I doubt there is an overall problem with tonight's new bits.

A full upgrade wanted to remove breeze and plasma-desktop and wasn't happy about some libkdecoration packages. Why not, it's a VM.

I was surprised I got to even sort of a desktop after logging out and back in. Aptitude finally offered to downgrade some kwin packages and re-install breeze and plasma-desktop, and all is well with Wily.

Comment

Glad you got your system back after being wily with Wily. I think that you might have struck a problem with the repositories being update from Plasma 5.3.95 to 5.4. My system has been updated today with many packages from 5.3.95 to 5.4. I get the impression that this is work in progress as the KInfoCenter is still showing the KDE Plasma Version as 5.3.95.

Comment

Working...
                                X