Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beryl & Kubuntu... is it easy to set it up?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beryl & Kubuntu... is it easy to set it up?

Here's my understanding (might be little ). With aquamarine installed and running as the Beryl decorator (beryl-manager --> Select Window Decorator) you should be able to use any KDE decorator in the Beryl environment. You would still have to choose through System Settings --> Appearance --> Windows Decorations. Any installed Themes there should work. It has with me so far. I do think Beryl also offers its own decorator themes, but I have not yet explored that yet. I think that is controlled from beryl-manager --> Emerald Theme Manager. Again, not sure haven't got that far. Been playing with the KDE portion.

Comment

Based on my somewhat-limited playing with Beryl, I think you basically have these choices:

1. If you're in Kubuntu:
      a. The world of KDE and Aquamarine stuff,
      b. The SuperKaramba world of themes, or
      c. The Emerald world of themes (where I have mostly stayed lately)

2. If you're in Ubuntu:
      a. The world of Gnome/Metacity stuff,
      b. The Heliodor world where I have never ventured, or
      c. The Emerald world of themes that is the same as it is for Kubuntu.

I hope my perception is more right than wrong -- I haven't attempted Super Karamba in Ubuntu -- for all I know that might work too. Frankly, it all adds up to way more eye-candy than I can deal with, if I want to get anything else done, so I've settled in on a nice dark-red Emerald theme for the window decorator and pretty much stayed with it. I spent a whole evening swapping out SuperKaramba themes a few months back, and ended up not much liking any of it. But it's all very much a matter of personal taste and style .....

8)

Comment

Yep, after a quick test, you can download themes form Beryl's web. From beryl-manager, choose Emerald Theme Manager and import the them downloaded. I did receive an error message on both themes I tested about not being able to do something (forgot to write it down, sorry) with the TAR file, but it still appeared to work. Again in Beryl-Manager I made sure I selected Emerald as the Window Decorator. What ever the theme that was highlighted under the Emerald Theme Manager portion of Beryl-Manager will become your new window decoration.

Comment

Somewhere in your menu system (I think it is Kmenu>System), after you have installed Beryl, is an Emerald settings menu item. If you open that, you will be presented with the Emerald window decorations themes. It is not the world's most intuitive GUI -- you basically scroll down through the themes, and if you find one you like, you click on it so that it is highlighted, and that's all the feedback you get, and then you close the Emerald settings app, and at some point (maybe after you "reload window decorator" in Beryl-manager), you will find the window decorations all changed to match the Emerald theme that you highlighted.

Comment

OK.
            I installed Beryl.

But.. for some reason my navigation buttons..

Like "Close, Minimaze, Maximaze...etc"
            They are not there any more, on my windows.. it kind of annoying Is it something because of Beryl settings?

Comment

If you search this forum you will come to this post:
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081006.0

You should find a lot of answers there

Have fun
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Kdar
                OK.
                I installed Beryl.

But.. for some reason my navigation buttons..

Like "Close, Minimaze, Maximaze...etc"
                They are not there any more, on my windows.. it kind of annoying Is it something because of Beryl settings?
                Kdar go into the Emerald Theme Manager and pick another theme. Some of the themes lost the buttons for me also.

Also I did not have to install Aquamarine, only Emerald. I did have troubles with the NVidia drivers and wound up using the 9755 from the NVidia home page. My card is a 6200LE.

Comment

hmm ok.

I seem to be installed new theme from KDE-look.org for the Emerald...

But my Beryl don't change anything?

What can I do so that Beryl will use new theme?

Comment

You need aquamarine in KDE
                    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I have it... But how do I run it?

Do I need dev?

Here what I have installed

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/7...apshot1lf2.jpg

Comment

Ummm, without starting an argument, I will merely note that aquamarine is available as a KDE-based window decorator, but only Emerald is actually required for Beryl to work.

OK, Kdar, what you are observing, when windows open with no top or buttons on the top border, is the famous "missing window decorator" error of Beryl. There are probably right about a zillion posts on that issue in this forum, Ubuntu Forums, and the Beryl wiki. The basic idea is, Beryl has a certain list of things that it does, and selection (or failure to select) a window decorator theme is one of those functions. So, when Beryl is installed and working correctly, if you will right-click on the Beryl icon on your taskbar/panel, then you will see the Beryl Manager menu, and the third one above "Quit" is entitled "Select Window Decorator". Hover your cursor over that, and to the right or left will pop up the short list of window decorators that you have installed. If the "Select Window Decorator" menu item is grayed out, then you have not got a correct installation of Emerald (required), acquamarine (optional), and probably the KDE decorator isn't seeing the Beryl Manager correctly either, so you got nada.

Probably everyone who has attempted to install and configure Beryl in the past 6 months has experienced the "missing window decorator" problem. There is not a single clean solution to it that I have ever heard, you simply have to go back through the installation process -- make sure your graphics driver has the glx or AIGLS or compositing functions enabled, make sure Emerald is actually installed, make sure you have Beryl Manager along with Beryl installed, make sure when you type beryl-manager in a console window that it's not reporting errors prior to starting up Beryl, etc. etc. It's a typical debugging process -- I would search this forum and the Ubuntu Forums, using "7800GT beryl", 7800GT driver issues", and phrases like that, and see what others have figured out to make everything play together.

HTH

Comment

OK, I've gone through, following all this stuff, and again it ends in being hard.
                          I thought 7.04 was supposed to have a check box to click that would just enable all this stuff, if it doesn't, fine, but why say it does?!?

I'm too green to go in and modify my x.org or x11 or whatever files, I tried that before and lost everything (including to my own foolishness, newly copied newborn pics of my son that were not yet backed up) because I couldn't even use my monitor to restore the backup I made.

Basically, what I'm saying/asking is, why all this chatter in the preceding weeks about feisty having 1-click enabling of 3D effects, when clearly that is not the case?

Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                            Ummm, without starting an argument, I will merely note that aquamarine is available as a KDE-based window decorator, but only Emerald is actually required for Beryl to work
                            I beg to differ. Emerald is not required for Beryl to work. I say this due to the fact that I do not have Emerald installed and Beryl works just fine for me.

I can't recall exactly what I did to get Beryl going under Feisty but I don't recall having to edit anything or hack anything. Far as I recall I just installed following packages installed: aquamarine, beryl, beryl-core, beryl-kubuntu, beryl-manager, beryl-plugins, beryl-plugins-data, beryl-setting, beryl-settings-bindings, libberyldecoration0, libberylsettings0.
                            Now to run beryl I just type

Code:
                            $ beryl-manager

Comment

Originally posted by arizonagroovejet
                              I beg to differ. Emerald is not required for Beryl to work.
                              Great catch -- I stand corrected! I noted that Emerald is automatically installed when Beryl is selected in Adept, and assumed it was mandatory. That's what happens when you assume..... :P

But, for Feisty, I THINK it is true that you only have to select "Beryl" and "Beryl Manager" for installation, to get a functioning Beryl application. There are other packages on the list -- I see I have Beryl Kubuntu and Beryl Plugins and Beryl Settings installed as well. But I believe it was my option to pick them or not -- I don't think I had to. Please correct me (again) if this isn't right. I do have today the most stable Beryl I've ever had. The only bug I have detected is that when I choose "quit" from the Beryl Manager menu, it makes the toolbar icon disappear, but it doesn't actually disable the cube, and if I shutdown and reboot, I get the "crash report" notification just as though I had not "quit" the program. It behaves the same on my Ubuntu 7.04 installation as well.

Comment

I found this thread
                                http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=1#post2525688
                                Basically, the easy install that Ubuntu has, is NOT AVAILABLE for Kubuntu. Lets hope it is for Gusty Gibbon 7.10.

Comment

Working...
                                X