Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beryl & Kubuntu... is it easy to set it up?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beryl & Kubuntu... is it easy to set it up?

How would you set up Beryl in Kubuntu? It can be download like some apps from adept? or some other way....

And is it easy to make Beryl work with Kubuntu?

I don't have Kubuntu working at the moment. I will reinstall it once stable Feisty comes out.

Re: Beryl & Kubuntu... is it easy to set it up?

Yes, you can install it using Adept, but first add the repo to your sources.
    More info here: http://ubuntu.beryl-project.org/dists/feisty/main/

Comment

Actually, for Feisty, Beryl is already in the standard repos -- no need to add a special source.

Your best bet is to first make sure your graphics driver is installed and working correctly, and has whatever glx and compositing capabilities enabled. Once you're sure it's good to go, then install Beryl (which will bring Emerald along for the ride) and then run beryl-manager. You can use Emerald Settings to change the window decoration styles, and beryl-settings to change the desktop cube characteristics, skydomes, etc.

Comment

My mistake, I followed the steps of the wiki page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BerylOnFeisty but now it seems that packages are in the universe pool.

Comment

Cool.

Thks for info!

I will try to install it stable version is out.

Comment

Also,if you are using KDE windows decorators, you will need aquamarine as well. Also, beryl-manager doesn't get installed automatically when you choose to install Beryl. You need to make sure you choose it as well, it actually helps when beryl is running.

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that they were going to make compiz the default for selection-by-checkbox in feisty.
              Does anyone know if that is "recommended" over beryl, and, whether xgl or aiglx is preferred?

Comment

Well beryl and compiz are fusing so I don't know what they are going to call that fusion. Beryl was a spinnoff of compiz, now they are fusing. It is a bit con"fusing" but give it a few days.
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

how about for now. beryl's web site lists ubuntu as a possible upgrade, compiz says nothing.
                  and beyond that, is aiglx or xgl required (or recommended)?
                  and beyond that, emerald or aquamarine, are they required, or recommended?

Comment

aquamarine is reguired to be able to use KDE windows decorations with Beryl. I've been playing around with Beryl. For me it was easy to installed. Feisty repositories make it so.

Comment

wanna be careful this time. thanks. last time i tried beryl i destroyed x and had to format/reinstall.

Comment

@kdar can you give us your video card specs?

sudo ipconfig in a terminal would do
                        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

My video card is GeForce 7800GT

Also.. Should I do any updates? like kernels or what ever.. I installed Feisty just today..

I have AMD 64 version of Kubuntu.

Comment

If you just installed Feisty and you have had no problems, I'd go to Adept-Manager and install Beryl. It will not select beryl-manager or aquamarine, so make sure you select them for install as well. Let us know after that. I have a GFORCE 5200 and after my upgrade to Feisty, that is all I did and it works fine.

Comment

Oh I have another question...

Before I remember I had theme manager.. I don't remember name of it.. But.

Well I still able to use themes from sites like kdelook.org and suck?

or I would need only Beryl themes?

Comment

Working...
                              X