Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Install Skype 4.3 in Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install Skype 4.3 in Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit.

I have tried all the posted suggestions on google, I believe and still get an unmet dependency and failure to install. The dependency seems to be 'libqtwebkit4:i386'. Anyone have a solution.

These are a list of commands run in the following order, all failing to improve or solve:

steven@stevenK14:~$ sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgradesudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
    wget -O skype-install.deb http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-deb
    sudo dpkg -i skype-install.deb
    sudo apt-get install libqtwebkit4:i386
    sudo apt-get -f install
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
    wget -O skype-install.deb http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-deb
    sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ trusty partner' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/canonical_partner.list"
    sudo apt-get install skype
    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
    sudo ppa-purge xorg-edgers

Comment

The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      skype-bin:i386 : Depends: libqtwebkit4:i386 (>= 2.2~2011week36) but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: libgl1-mesa-glx:i386
      E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
      steven@stevenK14:~$

Comment

I really don't know what's stopping your install, I just download the .deb (multiarch!), right click it in Dolphin and select QApt to install.

Comment

I tried again just now. Qapt appears to install, but does not open using krunner or the konsole. Gdebi won't install due to missing dependencies. I even tried Muon without success. I am trying to install in Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit. I also tried using a konsole with sudo apt-get install skype, but no joy.
          Originally posted by Teunis View Post
          I really don't know what's stopping your install, I just download the .deb (multiarch!), right click it in Dolphin and select QApt to install.

Comment

Are you using Muon Package Manager? (Not Muon Discover, but Muon Package Manager.)
            If so, maybe try again, maybe with this:

Clean things up:

sudo dpkg --configure -a
            then
            sudo apt-get update
            then
            sudo apt-get -f install

Then open Muon Package Manager, and type

That's all I do in 14.04 to get Skype 4.3.0.37. In fact, no command line at all, just Muon PM. I only recommended those three commands to you to try to clean things up first.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If using Muon Discover, open it, type Muon Package Manager, and click to Install it.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Dear Qmike, I have done that process a dozen times and I believe a dozen other recommendations by other gurus. There are lots of users with the selfsame problem, so I don't believe it is unique to my hardware. My version is Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit; is that the same distribution you are having success? Strangely enough when I had Kubuntu 14.04, not the LTS version, Skype worked fine.

I suppose I can live without Skype, but it is light-years better when talking to my grandchildren. My system is fast enough so there is no lag in lip movements, and sound quality is so much better than the phone, it would be nice. And seeing my beautiful grandchildren with their faces life-size is a real treat over the miniature size in my iPhone 6. I can't believe I can complain about that. When I was young, they didn't even have TV that wasn't just a bunch of static and snow. I never could have dreamed that you could be anywhere and talk to anyone like we do today. But I have to tell you, once you have seen my grandchildren lifesize, miniaturized just doesn't cut it .

Because I hate to get advice from a friend and not take the advice given, I am going to try installing once more, but I don't have to copy and past or even carefully read the instructions, I have done it so many times. Thanks for trying; I will give you a report---and apology if it works this time Shab

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                If using Muon Discover, open it, type Muon Package Manager, and click to Install it.

Comment

steven@stevenK14:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
                  [sudo] password for steven:
                  dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of skype:
                  skype depends on libqtwebkit4 (>= 2.2~2011week36); however:
                  Package libqtwebkit4:i386 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package skype (--configure):
                  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
                  Errors were encountered while processing:

Comment

My version is Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit; is that the same distribution you are having success?
                    Yes, exactly. My Skype works perfectly--both video-audio and chats (where you type to each other in real time). I use it all the time, around the world. I've used Skype on Kubuntu back to Kubuntu 8.04 (or maybe before that, I can't recall). I didn't do anything special to make it go ... ?

Comment

We cross-posted

libqtwebkit4:i386 is not installed
                      I have both libqtwebkit4:i386 and libqtwebkit4 installed. I opened Muon Package Manager, typed into the window this: libqtwebkit4, and I see that and libqtwebkit4:i386 installed. Could you use Muon Package Manager and simply install libqtwebkit4:i386?

Comment

When you open Muon Package Manager, type skype in the window, you see that your Skype is not installed, right?

Comment

I remember trying that before. I just typed in the Muon Package Manager search and when finished typing, the page was empty. I don't know how it is possible, but apparently in cannot be found in my Muon Package Manager. I checked my entry, letter by letter, it was entered correctly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	muon.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	643197

Center monitor ?? Shab ??

We cross-posted

I have both libqtwebkit4:i386 and libqtwebkit4 installed. I opened Muon Package Manager, typed into the window this: libqtwebkit4, and I see that and libqtwebkit4:i386 installed. Could you use Muon Package Manager and simply install libqtwebkit4:i386?

Comment

What about this:

libqtwebkit4

When you type it in the Muon Package Manager window, does it show up?

And, type
                            in that window (in Muon Package Manager).
                            It does show up, right?

About your blank page when you type libqtwebkit4:i386 ... the blank page suggests (to me) that the package libqtwebkit4:i386 isn't even offered to you! It is offered to me, though, on the same K14.04 64-bit OS. I am assuming that YOUR Muon Package Manager is working correctly (mine seems to be working correctly here). Of course, the guys reading this will tell you that you should use the command line (Konsole) for this work: sudo apt-get install; but you seem to have tried that.

Comment

And in Muon, all your (available and offered) software sources are checked?

I think Partner Archive.

Comment

Working...
                              X