This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't connect to internet.

I just reformatted and installed Kubuntu 15.04. During installing, it said that "no internet connection found". I proceeded anyways and the install is done, but I still do not have an internet connection. I've been at this for about 3 days now....searching google and trying pretty much anything I find but no luck. I believe my modem/router may be the cause of the issues but I lack enough knowledge to know for sure.

It is a wired installation that worked fine on my windows 10 installation. No firewall is active.

What information is needed so I can start getting some help?
    Code:
     [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Expre[/COLOR]
    ss Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06) 
            Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Motherboard 
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 31 
            I/O ports at b000 [size=256] 
            Memory at fe600000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K] 
            Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K] 
            Capabilities: <access denied> 
            Kernel driver in use: r8169

[/FONT]
    UPDATE: I dug up an old wifi usb device and was able to connect to the internet and I am now posting on the computer in question. However I still need the wired connection to be working! The wifi is really spotty and slow. A reboot seemed to solve the slow wi-fi issues. Once I was able to establish an internet connection I did a apt-get update. I was unable to perform apt-get upgrade, forced to use muon update instead. Installed everything with the update and followed advice on this link...it now works.

I am unsure if the muon upgrade solved it or going to r8168 and blacklisting r8169. So my guess would be to find a way to use wi-fi (pray that it works) and run apt-get update and upgrade, then get r8168 and blacklist r8169
    Last edited by bulletbutter; Sep 04, 2015, 06:08 PM. Reason: Solved

the type of network adapter ,,,,, make model ,,,,and which if any driver is loaded for it .

if in 15.04 ,,,,,open a konsole and enter
    Code:
    lspci -v
    you will see output like this
    Code:
            [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]03:00.2 [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 
    0a) [/COLOR]
            Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer Device 0376 
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 29 
            I/O ports at d000 [size=256] 
            Memory at d2104000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K] 
            Memory at d2100000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K] 
            [COLOR=#ff0000]Kernel driver in use: r8169[/COLOR]

[/FONT]
    I highlighted the parts we knead in red
    to start with

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Apologies ahead of time. Since the computer I am trying to fix has no internet I am retyping this to a different pc that's halfway across the room. Please forgive typo's. If anything seems incorrect or odd ask to verify and Ill double check.

lspci - v results

Code:
      5:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 60)
      Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Motherboard
      Flags: bus master, fast devsel,  latency 0, IRQ 31
      I/O ports at b000 [size=256]
      Memory at fe60000 )64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
      Memory at d000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]
      Compabilities: <access denied>

Comment

Click the K Menu icon and click on System Settings. Click on Driver Manager. It will collect information about your system. When it's done, if a proprietary driver is identified, is it checked for use?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It shows nothing
          Code:
          "Your computer requires no proprietary drivers"

Comment

While "they" are trying to figure it out with you, did you try re-booting? how about unplugging the Ethernet cable (where it goes into the modem or where it goes into the back of your computer), waiting 20 seconds, and plugging it back in?
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

btw, same as here (on my Asus H97-Plus motherboard, except the rev 11))::

Code:
              03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 11)
                      Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 859e
                      Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 43
                      I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
                      Memory at f7c00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
                      Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

that is almost the exact same nic I have and it should just work ,,,,,,,,,,click you network Icon in the system tray top right of the window that pops up their should be an icon that when pointed at will say configure network connections click it ,,highlight the wired conection and click edit ,,,,,,on the genral tab make shure you have ,,auto conect to this network and all users may conect ,,,on the wired tab make sure auto-negotiate is checked ,,,,,on the IPv4 tab use ,,method automatic click ok and close

see if this helps

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I have tried everything suggested several times....the is plugged in (check about 12+ times), the settings are correct everything set to automatic.

I've reset router several times and even set up a static IP to no success.I have also re-installed 3 times with Kubuntu and 2 times with Ubuntu (thought maybe if I got Ubuntu to work out of the box....)
                  Last edited by bulletbutter; Sep 03, 2015, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you don't have an internet connection.
                    When you click the Networks widget on your panel, do you see an active wired connection listed?
                    If not, click the little "Configure network connection" symbol and click +Add>> wired ethernet.
                    It's fairly easy to add the connection. Under the Wired tab, 'Restrict to Device:', click the drop down arrow and choose your ethernet MAC address and click OK.
                    Assuming you can get a DHCP address from your router, you can then click 'Connect'.
                    If you don't see your ethernet MAC address you likely have a dead card or incompatible driver.
                    If you can't connect you have a problem with your CAT5 or router or modem or ISP.
                    Since you had a working connection before, I assume it's not your CAT5.
                    If you connect through a modem then router, reboot both.
                    Make sure your activity lights on your modem and router are flashing after the reboot.
                    If they are not, you have a hardware issue. If they are, click connect again.
                    If that doesn't then allow you to connect, bypass the router and plug directly into your modem and see if you can connect.
                    If that doesn't work, beats me. ? DNS issue with ISP.

Sorry, looks like VINNY answered when I was adding this post. Might be redundant.
                    Last edited by wartnose; Sep 03, 2015, 07:59 PM.

Comment

If you've tried all that, you can also delete your wired connection and reboot. If it doesn't auto-detect on reboot, add new wired ethernet connection as above and attempt to connect. If all else fails, check your /etc/network/interfaces config file. Since you are using Network Management, should look like this:
                      # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
                      auto lo
                      iface lo inet loopback

You could try changing it to this

auto lo
                      iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
                      auto eth0
                      iface eth0 inet dhcp

You then have to reboot or restart network

Comment

The internet connection is there as it worked while I still had a windows 10 partition. All my devices (around 4 phones, 3 tablets, 2 other computers, and a couple of consoles) have a working internet connection from the same source.

Wired Connection 1 is what is shown in the network manager and its constantly "loading" and "setting network address". I have also tried editing interfaces as you suggested as well (found it as a potential solution on google) and it didn't work.

Browsing my Client List in my router, I can't see my device MAC info (or any info on it for that matter). So I may not be getting a DHCP address from the router.....just need to figure out the cause.

My internet source is actually a MODEM/ROUTER (both one in the same). SBG6580 Arris Surfboard Motorola

I have tried 3 different cables to connect via the PC and the modem/router. And I modified a custom wired connection with google DNS (8.8.8.8) with and without a static IP. Nothing seems to work. I did notice however that each time I re-install Kububtu, my time zone is different. I have to select the closest place to my residence and modify the time manually. In windows I know that if your time is not correct, you won't be able to access the internet...not sure about Kubuntu.
                        Last edited by bulletbutter; Sep 03, 2015, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Wow. You either have a lot of wireless devices or a lot of ports. Did you reboot the modem/router? Also, if you can't connect to the internet while installing, I don't think it can detect the correct time so that might explain why you had to set manually. If you don't see your MAC it's a bad connection or driver or nic. Just for fun you might try deleting Wired Connection 1, rebooting and adding connection again. Sounds like you have done your research. I assume when you tried a static IP you added your gateway?

Comment

When I did the static address I was able to connect to my network, but I had no internet. And yes, I used the gateway.

I have rebooted and even done a reset to the modem/router.

As far as it being a bad driver....I was only capable of downloading the r8169 and removing the one that was installed with Kubuntu 15.04. I downloaded the Linux driver from realtek's website. Not even sure it would help anything but the little bit of research I've done....changing a driver has to be recompiled into the kernel Anyways....since I have no Ethernet driver now, give me a moment to reinstall (lol).

Comment

That r8169 driver is the same that Vinny and I have and it came standard, installed with Kubuntu (mine is Kubuntu 14.04; I haven't checked it in my 15.04 but my Internet works fine in both).

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 11)
                              Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 859e

Comment

Working...
                              X