Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed that you both have (rev 11) while I have (rev 06) would that have anything to do with it? And if it does, how to I change from 6 to 11?

UPDATE:
    I dug up an old wifi usb device and was able to connect to the internet and I am now posting on the computer in question. However I still need the wired connection to be working!
    Last edited by bulletbutter; Sep 03, 2015, 10:01 PM. Reason: Updated info

Comment

Hi, this morning, bulletbutter. Only because no one else has yet posted this morning (my time), and given that I am not any connection expert, but just let me post this, thinking it might trigger some thoughts for you, and these do deal with rev 06 with 8169 driver, and the posts are a bit old (Dec 2013), but I find this interesting that people post this issue. Look at this and the tip there to load the driver:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/66802...-ethernet-cont

Here's a similar:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/39680...64-kernels-2-6

Strangely, this was one of "those" mornings for me: I powered up the PC, up came Kubuntu with no Internet connection! All my settings are as Vinny said they should be. I have posted this problem here before. I have rev 11 with 8169, on 14.04, as you know. The only thing I know to do is what I suggested above: physically disconnect the Ethernet cable (at either end--the modem end or the back of the PC end, the I/O shield port on the back), and then after a few seconds re-connect it (while the PC is on, of course) and it instantly connects!

Just because I have this tip, I'll post it, too, it comes from a (Real) hardware expert I know at another forum; I tried this, but it also didn't work. The only thing that works is the cable trick I mentioned here.

Experiment:

Next time the connection quits, open a terminal and stop, then restart the network daemon using whatever commands the KDE wants. With Fedora, for example, the commands are:

nmcli con down id eno1
      nmcli con up id eno1

where eno1 is the name of the network device/connection I want to cycle.

The problem could very well be in the cable (particularly the end connector as they're not very robust) or it could be that something is causing the need to reset the network interface hardware on the motherboard _or_ the network services daemon in the O/S. If a net stop/net start sequence brings the network back to life, you can rule out the cable.

If a network stop/restart doesn't fix the connection, then try the cable. If that fixes the problem you know to replace the cable.

Back to our discussion, for you, it sure sounds like getting rev 11 might offer some promise, doesn't it?
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

This is a fairly recent post that might help.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2293272

Comment

That looks like a good post, wartnose! Perhaps he could try the modprobe trick first to see if re-loading the driver works (maybe doubtful); then try getting the new package -dkms. From your post, it is also clear there are known bugs going on with this. Interesting.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. Just now getting back to working on it. I was able to do an "sudo apt-get update" and everything went smooth. But now I have another issue. I want to see if an "sudo apt-get upgrade" will fix the issue but now the terminal appears to be hanging.
            Code:
                   [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]233 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded. [/COLOR]
            Need to get 0 B/215 MB of archives. 
            After this operation, 9,587 kB of additional disk space will be used.
            [/FONT]
            The next line is blank with the square "cursor"....is this normal or am I supposed to enter something? Should I just let it alone for a while and check back on it?

After I finish ding-batting around Ill try some of the above methods.
            Last edited by bulletbutter; Sep 04, 2015, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Hard to say! Why not just close that terminal. Open a fresh one. Try to clean things up:

sudo dpkg --configure -a
              sudo apt-get update
              sudo apt-get -f install

Then proceed doing what you were trying to do.

Comment

The console issue with it stalling....not sure what was up with that. Had to use the Muon update to get what I needed done. That link here did the trick I believe. Can't say for sure cause I did the upgrade and the blacklist/switched to r8168 before a restart.

A big thank you for everyone who contributed! Awesome guys! Thanks again!
                Last edited by bulletbutter; Sep 04, 2015, 06:11 PM.

Comment

So you did install (using Muon) this package:
                  r8168-dkms
                  Right?

Comment

Correct, but the upgrade alone could have fixed it for r8169...I didn't restart to test it before I installed the r8168-dkms package.

Comment

but the upgrade alone could have fixed it
                      Sorry ... what upgrade was that?

Just curious, does the lspci -v show rev 11 now (with the r8168-dkms)?

Comment

Since the apt-get upgrade and apt-get update didn't work I had to do it through the Muon Update Manager. And lspci -v shows I am using r8168 (rev 06).

Comment

Thanks. Maybe this will help someone else. If any upgrade with the or pertaining to the driver came through Muon (Muon Package Manager, not Discovery), it should show under Muon, the View tab, Show History, Today.

Glad you got your connection back.

Comment

(Ha! I now, finally, see that you have been updating Post #1 with the summary information ...)

Comment

Working...
                            X