Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was AntiVirus; Now something Completely Different!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was AntiVirus; Now something Completely Different!

Man think AV programmes are not really necessary in Kubuntu, but these same people often advise installing a utility anyway.

In Muon, I have noticed many files associated with Clam.

Which programmes do I need to install to protect my systems. Automatic updating of signature files is important.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 31, 2014, 11:37 AM.
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Go ahead and install Clamav, it is as good as any of the Virus protections that you can buy, but in time, you will find that you stop even checking it, because you never end up with an infection. It is the same for all prior Windows Users to worry about virus'. I am sure there are some Linux users that still maintain a virus protection, but I have been operating Kubuntu for over 20 years without virus protection and have never had an intrusion.

In my opinion, when you installed Kubuntu, you installed what you need to protect your system. More is just unnecessary paranoia. But do as you will. What you think you need is available and high quality. It will require a little more of your time, but at least it won't cost you anything.

Again, the developers designed a product called Clamwin, which is also just as good as the competition. The only difference is that its free and works for Windows users. I think because its free scares Windows users, who may think costing nothing it is worth nothing, but it does the selfsame stuff. I have a dual boot system and Clamwin is what I have on my Windows 7 OS. It and gimp and LibreOffice are the only free programs on my Win7 OS. They do everything that their counterparts and more. Many programs in windows cannot be opened without purchasing a program to open them. Linux computers seem to open everything from all OS's without adding any costly programs. You might have to download tool to open a program, but for the most part, Linux does the job with the basic system you first installed.

You are going to hear pretty much the same from any Linux user, and perhaps I will be corrected a bit, but what I have stated has been my experience. Cudos friend

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
    Man think AV programmes are not really necessary in Kubuntu, but these same people often advise installing a utility anyway.

In Muon, I have noticed many files associated with Clam.

Which programmes do I need to install to protect my systems. Automatic updating of signature files is important.

Comment

It,s not a bad idea to use Clamav if you are sharing a lot of files with a Winows machine , emails in particular. You don't know what you might be passing on.
      sigpic

Comment

Thank you both for the information.

Best wishes.
        Last edited by anonprivate; Aug 19, 2014, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
          ...I have been operating Kubuntu for over 20 years without virus protection and have never had an intrusion.
          That's remarkable as Kubuntu hasn't been around that long.

Comment

But KDE is over 16 years old
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE

And in the subject at hand it's IMHO not bad to interchange the words Kubuntu and Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by GerardV View Post
              It,s not a bad idea to use Clamav if you are sharing a lot of files with a Winows machine , emails in particular. You don't know what you might be passing on.
              What about what others may be passing on to me? Will their possible Windows viruses affect Kubuntu

Comment

Pickey Pickey, I have been using it since the 5th version. Didn't mean to be inaccurate. Give this old 71 year old man a break. Anyway, it has been a long time.

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                That's remarkable as Kubuntu hasn't been around that long.

Comment

It's Shabakthanai again. I really did not give the possibilities much thought. I guess if you were in direct communication with another Windows user you would have to have protection, but when you are looking at computer related stuff on the Internet, you will be searching Linux stuff and I don't think a virus can become a problem. The developers are taking very good care of you. If you apply updates when they arrive, almost every day, in a couple minutes, you are keeping your system on the cutting edge of security and your applications at their most elevated state. No waiting for next year's upgrade for a couple hundred bucks, your upgrades take you there daily.

If you are dual-boot, you do not have to worry about a virus jumping from Windows to Kubuntu. When you are in one, you are not attached to the other.

The other guys in the forum are way smarter than I, but I am still pretty good on configurations relating to graphics. Be nice to them, they are helping you out of the kindness of their heart. They are veeeery smart too. And Humble, and considerate, and thoughtful, and professional, and and and...

What about what others may be passing on to me? Will their possible Windows viruses affect Kubuntu

Comment

No

(yeah, that is oversimplifying it, but in Real Life it is correct)
                    The AV software you see in the software center are more for server level protection - email and file severs, and the like as opposed to desktop PCs

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                      It's Shabakthanai again. I really did not give the possibilities much thought. I guess if you were in direct communication with another Windows user you would have to have protection, but when you are looking at computer related stuff on the Internet, you will be searching Linux stuff and I don't think a virus can become a problem. The developers are taking very good care of you. If you apply updates when they arrive, almost every day, in a couple minutes, you are keeping your system on the cutting edge of security and your applications at their most elevated state. No waiting for next year's upgrade for a couple hundred bucks, your upgrades take you there daily.

If you are dual-boot, you do not have to worry about a virus jumping from Windows to Kubuntu. When you are in one, you are not attached to the other.

The other guys in the forum are way smarter than I, but I am still pretty good on configurations relating to graphics. Be nice to them, they are helping you out of the kindness of their heart. They are veeeery smart too. And Humble, and considerate, and thoughtful, and professional, and and and...
                      ' If you apply updates when they arrive, almost every day, in a couple minutes, you are keeping your system on the cutting edge of security and your applications at their most elevated state'

Still unsure about updates. Am I expected to click on updates in the Muon Package Manager every now and again, or can this be automated?

'Be nice to them, they are helping you out of the kindness of their heart.'

I know. I hope I appear grateful.

Comment

In that 'Sources' field of Muon you can select how you want to update, automatic or manual.
                        In case of automatic you can select how often the system checks for updates, daily, per two days, per week or per two weeks.

In case you select the first option the updates will be downloaded and installed automatically.
                        With the second option the updates will be downloaded and you get a prompt they are available for installation.
                        You can also select (third option) to only notify about available updates, if so you see an 'Update are available' icon in the system tray.

Below a screenshot of my (Dutch) settings that'll only tell me updates are available, I have to click on the notification icon to actually download and install.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Source_updates.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	642401

The reason I selected notification is I travel a lot and not every place has sufficient bandwidth to allows for a good download.
                        Plus I want to check what the proposed update includes, for example it sometimes involves removal of certain 'dependencies' that I rather keep.
                        Just waiting a day for a new update typically fixes such a dependency problem.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                          No
                          Agreed.

Comment

There are no viruses out in the wild that can affect a Linux computer.

That doesn't mean Linux can't be compromised but this typically involves someone getting local access to the computer or the owner installing software from a compromised source.
                            The last one can be mitigated by only installing from known and trusted sources like the ones from Canonical, the Ubuntu parent company and a couple of KDE specific sources (PPA's).
                            There are also concepts where a malicious piece of Java can infiltrate the browser and thus the computer but again, it's hardly ever seen 'in the wild'.

Because Linux powers some of the most import servers on the net the bad boys can go to great length to bring such a computer under their control and the sometimes succeed.
                            This usually involves the hacker getting through your log in and password, like by social engineering.
                            But Steve Riley is the real expert on this kind of issues so I'd just take his word: No.

Because there are no Linux viruses it is rather hard or impossible to write anti-virus software as this typically depends on fingerprints to recognise, no fingers, no prints

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                              In that 'Sources' field of Muon you can select how you want to update, automatic or manual.
                              In case of automatic you can select how often the system checks for updates, daily, per two days, per week or per two weeks.

In case you select the first option the updates will be downloaded and installed automatically.
                              With the second option the updates will be downloaded and you get a prompt they are available for installation.
                              You can also select (third option) to only notify about available updates, if so you see an 'Update are available' icon in the system tray.

Below a screenshot of my (Dutch) settings that'll only tell me updates are available, I have to click on the notification icon to actually download and install.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]5188[/ATTACH]

The reason I selected notification is I travel a lot and not every place has sufficient bandwidth to allows for a good download.
                              Plus I want to check what the proposed update includes, for example it sometimes involves removal of certain 'dependencies' that I rather keep.
                              Just waiting a day for a new update typically fixes such a dependency problem.
                              Thank you.

I am configured as you are

If an upgrade involved removing dependencies I would not know what to do for the best. I suppose I would upgrade and hope for the best - what else could I do.

Best wishes.

A

Ps I noted some upgrades through my searching for the right programme (above). I will be very interested to see if they appear in the notification icon. Yes it does (one), it mentions a security upgrade. I thought that I saw a number of upgrades.

Comment

Working...
                              X