This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grahama View Post
    snowhog, i have carried out the ikubuntu@kubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extrasReading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package kubuntu-restricted-extras
    kubuntu@kubuntu:~$

tek heretik.. wheres the terminal window, not sure where to look
    reopen muon go to settings > configure software sources > on the kubuntu software tab make shure you have the 4th check box down checked (multiverse),,,,acualy check all 4 from the top down close the window close muon and run the command agin ,,,

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

hi, i'm still getting this message:

kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      E: Unable to locate package ubuntu-restricted-extras

Comment

hi, i'm still getting this message:

kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
        Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree
        E: Unable to locate package ubuntu-restricted-extras
        Try this instead:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

And if that doesn't work, then the others are right, you need to enable all the 'non-free' repositories.

Comment

vinny. sorry posted last msg before i saw your last msg. have carried out instructions and a huge amount of info has scrolled into the window, i'm left with an agreement window saying about end user licence agreement for microsoft software. it says ok at the bottom, do i just close this or do i need to "ok" it (not sure how to)

Comment

Press your tab key to get to the Ok and then press Enter.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

vinny. sorry posted last msg before i saw your last msg. have carried out instructions and a huge amount of info has scrolled into the window, i'm left with an agreement window saying about end user licence agreement for microsoft software. it says ok at the bottom, do i just close this or do i need to "ok" it (not sure how to)
              grate ,,,,yes as @snowhog sead you press the tab key to except and then enter to continue the installation's the one you are excepting is for the ms-fonts

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

ok.. lots more info in the window and no error messages and flash plugin has now appeared in the muon package manager can i open it from there?

Comment

ok.. lots more info in the window and no error messages and flash plugin has now appeared in the muon package manager can i open it from there?
                  no no you need to let the instalation finish in the terminal (that is what you were using ) and when it's done you will have flash installed ,,, no need to do it agin in muon , infact close muon now .

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

ok muon closed

Comment

WOO HOO! its worked, thanks to all you guys for helping me along here, you're all superstars, thanks very much. thanks for all your time

Comment

an explanation ,,,,,,you can only use one package manager at a time , if for instance you are using apt-get in the terminal ,,,,,and you try to use muon at the same time one will fail ,,,if muon was like synaptic or apper and you had to give it administration rights when opening it (password) then you would not have been able to even open it wile apt-get was running conversely if you still had muons software sources window open and tried to run apt-get it would not have worked

a package manager must put a lock on the package system wile it's working

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

WOO HOO! its worked, thanks to all you guys for helping me along here, you're all superstars, thanks very much. thanks for all your time
                          you are welcome ,,,,,,,it's what we all do for fun ........LOL

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

I guess we should have explained ubuntu-restricted-extras is a whole 'truck load' of non-free proprietary extras, not just flash. IMHO, this package should be broken down, no wonder newcomers to Linux throw their hands in the air and go running back to what they know. Btw guys, 'tab' just moves the terminal window cursor to a new line or field, etc, it does not 'accept' or 'ok', pressing 'enter' AFTER pressing 'tab' to get to the ok field is accepting. And we should have also explained some accepting is as simple as pressing 'y', then 'enter', our bad.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                              I guess we should have explained ubuntu-restricted-extras is a whole 'truck load' of non-free proprietary extras, not just flash. IMHO, this package should be broken down, no wonder newcomers to Linux throw their hands in the air and go running back to what they know.
                              ? and why do you say this ,,,,the package is not called flash or mp3 or ms-fonts ,it's called extras as in more than one thing .
                              Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                              Btw guys, 'tab' just moves the terminal window cursor to a new line or field, etc, it does not 'accept' or 'ok', pressing 'enter' AFTER pressing 'tab' to get to the ok field is accepting. And we should have also explained some accepting is as simple as pressing 'y', then 'enter', our bad.
                              well of course you are correct ,,,, but it has the same effect, nice tip on the "y" I was unaware of that ,,,, I was pretty sure tab was the only way to highlight the ok last time I had to do it :-P

VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                                ? and why do you say this ,,,,the package is not called flash or mp3 or ms-fonts ,it's called extras as in more than one thing .
                                well of course you are correct ,,,, but it has the same effect, nice tip on the "y" I was unaware of that ,,,, I was pretty sure tab was the only way to highlight the ok last time I had to do it :-P

VINNY
                                I am speaking in terms of new users to Linux. Because it became evident people wanting just flash or some other extra are faced with a barrage of other questions and accepting EULAs within the complete extras package install process. We have to remember, some people coming from Windows or just giving Linux a 'spin' are not all that command-line savvy, I would even bet some have never used a command-line at all, regardless of OS. Its hard to judge a persons knowledge and respond accordingly without offending them, but in this case it was evident the user expected Flash and got a little confused by other installing questions and EULA agreements. No offence intended grahama, we are discussing a 'nuts and bolts' issue related to your experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X