Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

start up to blank screen every time. live disk works but won't install. (again)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

start up to blank screen every time. live disk works but won't install. (again)

Please help!

I was stumped before when I posted that when I booted to the log in screen it would read after log in, "failure to initiate 'ubuntu'

However using the USB stick to reinstall Kubuntu (same version latest)-netbook
    leaves me with 2 boot option:
    usb or HD
    Usb only loads to live desktop. with out installation button on desktop. Which makes sense because it already ran that 2 days ago. However start up on HD is to a blank screen with __ at top left...
    this Isn't groovy.

I just want to install fresh and go on because this install was only 5 days old anyway, it's not like I'm loosing anything but time.

OBM wouldn't initiate -storage before.. Minitube would crash on start before,

Then I installed a bunch of packages at once trying to get skype & libpurple working.. since then I've had this mess.

Should I put Mint on it or something else just to get the fresh start i want?

past giving in!

;z(( make my day and help me have a pc again.

From the description of where you are dumped, the first thing that comes to mind are graphics. It certainly seems that something that got installed with Skype et al has either messed things up or has failed to install.

Try this:

Ensure you are plugged into a wired network if you can

Immediately when coming out of the Bios post hold down the shift key. That will bring up a series of boot options.

Choose recovery mode

Then when presented with a series of options choose the fix packages option.

Then select resume normal boot. If this fails make a note of any error messages and post them here.
    Also it will help if you are able to tell us what your video card is.
    Last edited by The Liquidator; Jul 25, 2012, 07:07 AM. Reason: Originally Got wrong option

Comment

Hi Liquidator,

this is after that stage....
      http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...s-dependencies

I booted to recovery mode before when I could load to the log in screen and it 'failed to load instance ubuntu'
      - (after big download of packages all mixed together)
      after recovery mode > repair package manager
      It made no difference. Same error upon stat up and log in!!

After that it was suggested I drop to shell and run the sudo apt-get configure -a & -f install. (I may recall them wrong now but I did input them as suggested on above thread. I had 0 packages installed, 0 deleated, 0 configured, on both sets of code.

After that.. I tried to install from the like disk..

After that.. I had only those 2 boot options.
      eg; If I hold shift key down now I can not boot to that menu. It won't open. I am dropped back to the blank screen with the __

video card?

here' follows is the snapshot of the item - follow to aliexpress.. maybe click the current version to see more details. It'll be the same since it's only been 2-3 weeks shipped (this machine is 2+ weeks old, I have had it working 5 days.) 1 day (first with win7) and after kubuntu was bumpy as usual 'fine' the first 2-3 days.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/108665825.html
      What video card do I have??

This is a great deal compared to the price of new computers in Greece. lol (tax is 48% etc..

;z) whooooohh

ps. no I don't have a win 7 boot disk, or I would have already installed that back and done a duel boot install on this after - if it had come with a disk.

no I'm stuck really. ;z

Comment

Most netbooks using the intel atom processor also have an intel i915 graphics chip. If you go into your bios, it should tell you. You can boot into the livecd/usb and it works, correct? If so, then is it possible to simply reinstall Kubuntu? If that is possible, then before installing anything else you need to open a terminal and issue "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade" (both without the quotes. Once that is done, see if things are stable and install the rest of your applications.

Comment

Checking on the web-page you have supplied it has the intel 945 which is pretty standard for a netbook I think.

There is probably a fix for this but I imagine you may spend many hours before you get there. I'm inclined to to agree with VW 72 that now is not the time to explore those options. I would reinstall.

In running the USB, and before you get to the live desktop, do you not arrive at a screen where you can select either "try" or "install"? You can pick the install option there.

Comment

it sounds from reading both your posts and the PM you sent me that on your second install attempt grub (the boot loader to start the system) may have been installed to the wrong location .

if you can still make a new live USB I would make a Gparted one and repartition the hard drive on the netbook with it as follows first a 2Gig swap partition then a 15-20 Gig / (thats root) partition then all the rest for /home
            then reinstall from your Kubuntu live USB and when you get to the seting up the disk/system part click manual and point it to the partitions you have already made .
            at the bottom of that screen will be a drop down box for telling it ware to install grub chose MBR or /sda (I forget what it will list as) not /sda1 or /sdb ......

if you can not make a Gparted live USB then just chose to use entire disk when you reinstall but make sure grub gets installed to MBR or /sda

the installer launcher on your live USB should not have just disappeared however it is in a folder view widget that shows the Desktop folder by default and you may have closed it and if you made the live USB with a persistence file then it would not have reappeared on a reboot ......however if you open dolphin and open the desktop folder it should still be their or in the applications menu under system.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post

the installer launcher on your live USB should not have just disappeared however it is in a folder view widget that shows the Desktop folder by default and you may have closed it and if you made the live USB with a persistence file then it would not have reappeared on a reboot ......however if you open dolphin and open the desktop folder it should still be their or in the applications menu under system.

VINNY
              Good call there Vinny - I bet you are right there.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator View Post
                Good call there Vinny - I bet you are right there.
                we will see

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Well.. I abandoned kubuntu. :''0 I thought about going back to Suse, or trying Cent os however it wouldn't load on the machine. So i did another 3rd live stick with Debian 6 and that actually would install..
                  -I couldn't find the installer. and so debian wins. lol. However I'll now start learning (?) how to make a blend or duel boot of Deb and ubuntu or Cent..

It's up and running on Debian now. it still has a firmware issue. that I see is prevalent across platforms.
                  error in kubuntu-& debian-
                  rtl_nic/rtl8105e-1.fw missing firmware -wireless - non critial. - (no wireles does not work it's not unnecessary) - // & found installed - wireless still doesn't work hah

The trouble with machines is that they have all the time in the world and we don't....
                  F;z

Comment

Originally posted by FezMiester View Post
                    Well.. I abandoned kubuntu. :''0 I thought about going back to Suse, or trying Cent os however it wouldn't load on the machine. So i did another 3rd live stick with Debian 6 and that actually would install..
                    -I couldn't find the installer. and so debian wins. lol. However I'll now start learning (?) how to make a blend or duel boot of Deb and ubuntu or Cent..

It's up and running on Debian now. it still has a firmware issue. that I see is prevalent across platforms.
                    error in kubuntu-& debian-
                    rtl_nic/rtl8105e-1.fw missing firmware -wireless - non critial. - (no wireles does not work it's not unnecessary) - // & found installed - wireless still doesn't work hah

The trouble with machines is that they have all the time in the world and we don't....
                    F;z
                    nice that you got somthing to run ....good work .
                    from your post over hear it looks like your NIC is recognized http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=72645
                    post the output of
                    Code:
                    ifconfig
                    as well please and
                    Code:
                    lsmod
                    VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Hi VINNY
                      is it like Hot there? 35-40*c /90-100*f Damn summer with out sea/water

Maybe the Nic... because I am surprised this little thing would have two pieces of eithernet control. It'd be weird - it has 1 board with everything built in for sure. So the controller is not soft booting the 2nd half... even though it has the drivers now...
                      ( & kubuntu loaded it automatically...
                      Debian may have loaded, but it won't load the wifi, external back up drives, or the mouse. which previously worked in Kubuntu with --- locomo ---- the logitech wireless package... ..... Now with that package, the power display on top of the screen says that the mouse battery is 0%. -power of mouse is displayed under laptop battery /together.. however even with battery fresh from the store it still reads 0% & discharging.....

(haven't checked to see if the headphone jack started working in debian since it stopped in kubuntu.. ;z)) -- oooh baby

God I love that thumb ball wireless mouse...... grins**).... A good touch pad is good, a bad one is hell. ;z

That could explain why the -----machine won't mount external drives?

error here:
                      http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=82453 - can't see / mount external drive

Like; I think this time I'm having to learn something... lol
                      --

Comment

Error: (unable to mount any external drive!)
                        Unable to mount 40 gig drive.
                        Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 1: helper failed with:

Error opening '/dev/sdc1': Permission denied

Failed to mount '/dev/sdc1': Permission denied

Please check '/dev/sdc1' and the ntfs-3g binary permissions,

and the mounting user ID. More explanation is provided at

http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#unprivileged

wireless still doesn't work. Howeer:
                        wifi Radar does use the wifi part of the boad and I can view my network and it'll try and connect.
                        It simply never does It does not save settings either.
                        But I have had 0 success trying other wifi packages on this so far.

Headphone jack:
                        Does work now. However – it's REALLY weak. I mean maximum volume is barely audible.. however it is there.. mm

My problem with this forum: I posted days ago... again.. it says I have a token error. I'm signed in.. I have to refresh and 'post quick reply' doesn't go. - grrrrrrrr

root@192fez:/home/fezmiester# lsmod

Module Size Used by

cpufreq_userspace 1992 0

cpufreq_stats 2740 0

cpufreq_powersave 902 0

cpufreq_conservative 5162 0

parport_pc 18855 0

ppdev 5030 0

lp 7462 0

parport 27954 3 parport_pc,ppdev,lp

sco 7225 2

bridge 39646 0

stp 1440 1 bridge

bnep 9427 2

rfcomm 29629 0

l2cap 24752 4 bnep,rfcomm

crc16 1319 1 l2cap

bluetooth 41827 6 sco,bnep,rfcomm,l2cap

nfsd 254782 11

lockd 57619 1 nfsd

nfs_acl 2031 1 nfsd

auth_rpcgss 33508 1 nfsd

binfmt_misc 6431 1

sunrpc 161660 10 nfsd,lockd,nfs_acl,auth_rpcgss

exportfs 3170 1 nfsd

uinput 6376 1

fuse 50924 1

ext2 52905 1

loop 11799 0

arc4 1274 2

ecb 1841 2

snd_hda_codec_via 47887 1

snd_hda_intel 20035 1

snd_hda_codec 54292 2 snd_hda_codec_via,snd_hda_intel

snd_hwdep 5380 1 snd_hda_codec

ath5k 112210 0

snd_pcm 60487 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec

snd_seq 42881 0

snd_timer 15598 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq

snd_seq_device 4493 1 snd_seq

mac80211 137372 1 ath5k

ath 8006 1 ath5k

cfg80211 101496 3 ath5k,mac80211,ath

uvcvideo 52127 0

videodev 30089 1 uvcvideo

v4l1_compat 11442 2 uvcvideo,videodev

i2c_i801 7830 0

usbhid 33292 0

psmouse 49985 0

v4l2_compat_ioctl32 8474 1 videodev

video 17445 0

hid 63257 1 usbhid

rfkill 13044 4 bluetooth,cfg80211

snd 46526 10 snd_hda_codec_via,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_ hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device

serio_raw 3752 0

i2c_core 15819 2 videodev,i2c_i801

battery 4998 0

pcspkr 1699 0

output 1692 1 video

evdev 7352 23

ac 2192 0

soundcore 4598 1 snd

snd_page_alloc 6249 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

led_class 2433 1 ath5k

processor 29935 0

button 4650 0

ext3 106710 5

jbd 37317 1 ext3

mbcache 5050 2 ext2,ext3

dm_mod 53946 18

sd_mod 29937 3

crc_t10dif 1276 1 sd_mod

usb_storage 40217 0

uhci_hcd 18521 0

ahci 32870 2

libata 133776 1 ahci

thermal 11674 0

ehci_hcd 32097 0

scsi_mod 126725 3 sd_mod,usb_storage,libata

r8169 36840 0

mii 3210 1 r8169

usbcore 123122 6 uvcvideo,usbhid,usb_storage,uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd

nls_base 6377 1 usbcore

thermal_sys 11942 3 video,processor,thermal

root@192fez:/home/fezmiester# ^C

root@192fez:/home/fezmiester# ifconfig

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:e0:4c:36:0f:68

inet addr:192.168.1.3 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

inet6 addr: fe80::2e0:4cff:fe36:f68/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:101130 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:58985 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:129671828 (123.6 MiB) TX bytes:5459995 (5.2 MiB)

Interrupt:26 Base address:0x2000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:840 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:840 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:122542 (119.6 KiB) TX bytes:122542 (119.6 KiB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr e0:b9:a5:0f:43:b0

UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:e0:4c:36:0f:68

inet addr:192.168.1.3 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

inet6 addr: fe80::2e0:4cff:fe36:f68/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:139278 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:80024 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

RX bytes:181202844 (172.8 MiB) TX bytes:6912363 (6.5 MiB)

Interrupt:26 Base address:0x2000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:929 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:929 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:135218 (132.0 KiB) TX bytes:135218 (132.0 KiB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr e0:b9:a5:0f:43:b0

UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Comment

I have the cd of drives from Hzone - manufacture.
                          setup.exe - ready for windows.. after loading Ndiswrapper & util and gtk -- I should just go to the packages.. & the copied driver disk and extract and open them w/ archive manager (right click).
                          However I'm missing something because it doesn't work... (lol yeah I was missing that ndiswrapper was a separate manager) -

I also have the skype package, realtech wireless card drivers, / correct video drivers etc, built in web cam drivers.. etc -- there seems to be ndiswrapper just for installing wireless drivers .. (not all drivers??)

"could not create the archive..
                          archive type not supported"
                          therefor I can simply dig through many folders and find many .inf files...

i have installed ALL the ndis < > packages from synaptic and I can't load these setup.exe. using ndiswrapper I can load inf. However, I have 100+ .inf files to search through. IS THERE SOME EFFICIENT WAY TO DO THIS?
                          1 BY 1 THIS WILL TAKE 24H OF hand labor, each folder has 8-12 files.. none of them work.. 1 is already installed. etc..

AGHH
                          S0, USING NEW package manager, - under systems > administer > wireless package manager. Which is either a misnamed package manager for adding windows packages or an explanation why I just tried to add 20 .inf files from the setup disk that came with the computer...
                          of the first 15 1 said it was already installed. (3G drivers-- this I can't test because no wireless works...)

However, I see that there are 100s of .inf files for all the different driver types on the disk.. and since a lot of this computer doesn't work yet.. the process of adding them all in 1 by 1 by hand and then taking them out one by one is extremely tedious. (I swear- I don't have so many hours to sit and check them ALL.

& I read that if you load one that isn't needed .. it could cause a conflict.. best to be avoided..

wtf sigh* one more cig before I go down to the valley below.

SOMEONE made a more efficient way of doing this.. lol It's just the open platform way...

;zo0oO

Fez
                          Last edited by FezMiester; Aug 04, 2012, 09:30 AM.

Comment

from your lsmod output you seem to be running the old ath5k wireless driver and ifconfig seems to show that wlan0(your wireless) is up but not connected to anything right now.

please show the outputs of
                            Code:
                            iwconfig
                            and
                            Code:
                            lspci
                            "lspci" should show us the brand of Network controller you have.

and
                            Code:
                            uname -a
                            this will show what kernel you are running (older ones may not support your chip)

ndiswrapper is for installing windows wireless drivers but usually XP or before.
                            when we know the wireless chip we are dealing with (lspci)it may narrow down your search for the .ini file if you kneed to try it.

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

root@192fez:/home/fezmiester# iwconfig
                              lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSIDff/any
                              Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=20 dBm
                              Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
                              Encryption keyff
                              Power Managementff

pan0 no wireless extensions.

root@192fez:/home/fezmiester# lspci
                              00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Cedarview DRAM Controller (rev 03)
                              00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Cedarview Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
                              00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
                              00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
                              00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
                              00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
                              00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
                              00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
                              00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
                              00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
                              00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
                              00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation NM10 Family LPC Controller (rev 02)
                              00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
                              00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
                              01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 05)
                              02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
                              root@192fez:/home/fezmiester# uname -a
                              Linux 192fez 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Sun May 6 04:00:17 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                              root@192fez:/home/fezmiester#

since I am reading something about USB above, I'm concluding that the usb controller is miss installed.
                              Since the usb drives can't load at all..
                              the usb mouse can't load..
                              etc.

but Nwrapper, said all the drivers from the setup disk were failures. - but I swi read I read .inf before not .ini .. *grows purple*
                              however..
                              --------wireless is critical but not being able to use usb devices is more critical lol

I tried to install Wine on this to try and load the setup.exe however the Q4wine o wine could not set up a wineserver.

“Can't find or execute 'wineserver' binary. Make shure this binary is available by search PATH variable and see also INSTALL file for application depends.
                              ?
                              gets to 3rd page installation – and all other values are filled in except for wine server
                              (so much for that hot idea)

----------------------------------
                              If I tried this in Suse for instance would it be more seamless? Since it's not 'as stable' as Debian, but what I'm going to do on this machine is going to be full of countless unatherized packages anyway...

VINNY, your towing this boat out of the storm

Comment

Working...
                              X