X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't install KDE 10.10

Hi, nice to meet you all.

I'd like to make my first post asking for help to get KDE 10.10 installed.

My CPU build

###########first issue: Solved###########

Second issue:
    [img width=400 height=300]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/shortysdohdoh/IMG_20101202_230544.jpg[/img]

Re: Can't install KDE 10.10

What program did you use to burn the downloaded .iso file to the CD?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Infrarecorder

Comment

I Had a problem with a corrupt win files system and couldn't install Kubuntu, I also tried gparted cd also and it wouldn't work. What I did was restore windows from a backup. I use Tru Image for backups and that solved the Problem and I could then install Kubuntu

Comment

I haven't created any backups, maybe i could try last known good configuration?

Comment

When doing a restore from Tru Image it erases the Windows partition and then does a complete restore which
            clears out any Corruption. The new Tru-Image also supports Linux Ext4 file system and can be used to backup
            Kubuntu,

You could also try Clonezilla to do a backup and restore. Clonezilla is free

Comment

Ok so i downloaded true image trial but i couldn't do a backup because (i thought) my cd drive wouldn't notice when i put in a blank disc. So i went to the tools menu and found an option to erase the hard drive completely, wiping all data with zeros or something like that. So i wiped and after that finally finished three hours later i got “ntbtldr not found error“. Changed bios settings to boot from cd and kubuntu started up. Trying to install brings me to my next problem.

Second issue
              My hd disk is 750 gigs and i had only used half before deleting which shouldn't matter anyway since everything was deleted but according to kubuntu installer i don't have two gigs of free space to install.. so.... i'm pretty much lost.

[img width=400 height=300]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/shortysdohdoh/IMG_20101202_230544.jpg[/img]

Comment

Try downloading Gparted ISO and and burn image to a cd or dvd (ISO Recorder for windows) and boot the cd.

Gparted is a partition manager you can delete the entire partition and install kubuntu to the free space
                or use it to create sever partitions including NTFS,

Comment

ok, downloaded Gparted. that's a handy program! i got in and was able to delete the partition so that all space was "unallocated".

when i booted up kubuntu from the disc though, i still got the same error. Gparted live says i have 700 GB of free space while kubuntu installer says i don't have 2.3 GB of free space.... I'm starting to think that maybe what i did with the true image program wasn't a good move..... after thinking about it, "wiping the hard disk" by changing all the data to 0's, did i ruin the drive?

edit: went back and booted up gparted again, this time i created two partitions, 1 ntfs 100 GB and 1 linux 100 GB, wondering if that would make any difference. It didn't. still got the same problem.
                  i also went ahead and tried kubuntu's "check hard disk for problems" upon loading the cd. the check results said no errors.

Comment

After booting Kubuntu 10.10 cd. do you have the option to install to free space?

Comment

Hi....

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a hardware issue. I would first start with your CD-ROM drive. See if you can borrow one or purchase one that is second hand (which should be inexpensive, if there is a computer recycling firm where you live, they might have them,) and see if the problem is duplicated using the other drive.

Regards...
                      Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                      How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                      PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by GilGib
                        After booting Kubuntu 10.10 cd. do you have the option to install to free space?
                        loading the disc i have 4 options:
                        enter kubuntu
                        check disk for defects
                        test memory
                        boot from hard disk first

after entering kubuntu there are only 2 more options:
                        try kubuntu (works)
                        install kubuntu (which will not let me resume past the first click due to the problem mentioned above)

was there another install option that you were thinking of?

Originally posted by ardvark71
                        Hi....

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a hardware issue. I would first start with your CD-ROM drive. See if you can get a borrow one or purchase one that is second hand (which should be inexpensive, if there is a computer recycling firm where you live, they might have them,) and see if the problem is duplicated using the other drive.

Regards...
                        hi, thanks for joining the party! do you think that my cd/dvd drive isn't reading things correctly?
                        i'll do some looking around and see if i can find another drive

edit: so a friend of mine had a new hard drive he wasn't using, so i popped it in. STILL says i don't have 2.3GB available drive space..... started questioning the integrity of the disc so i tried it and it works fine in my friend's computer, option to install with plenty of space.

edit#2: i just realized i haven't posted my HD information. I now have two Western Digital HD's. One 750 GB "Caviar Black" and the new one just installed is a 500 GB "Caviar Blue".

The CD/DVD drive is a Buffalo DVSM-H55N series

Comment

Does Gparted see both HD?
                          Try using one HD at a time and see if Kubuntu sees the correct size.

You can also try using gparted to create a ext4 file system and see if Kubuntu cd sees that correctly.

Comment

Ok so I only have 1 of the drives hooked up at one time, but Gparted has recognized both of them. i went ahead and created a 150GB partition on the new drive (of the ext4), however Kubuntu installer still says I don't have 2.3 GB of available drive space.

Comment

Let me see if I have this stright.
                              After booting Kubuntu 10.10 cd a menu appears asking you to select what Language and on the borrom of
                              the screen your choice is to Try Kubuntu or Install Kubuntu.
                              You click on install Kubuntu and the next menu is Prepare 1) make sure you have 2,3 gb of space
                              2) Plugged into Power Source
                              3) connected to the Internet
                              At this point you select foward and the Disk Setup menu appears.
                              Your choices are 1)Install alongside ?
                              2) Erase and use entire Disk
                              3) specify Partition
                              and under this it shows your Hard drive with a down dart to select another Disk if you more than 1 Disk .
                              What happens if you Select erase and use entire disk?

Comment

Working...
                              X