X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't install KDE 10.10

Originally posted by GilGib
    Let me see if I have this stright.
    After booting Kubuntu 10.10 cd a menu appears asking you to select what Language and on the borrom of
    the screen your choice is to Try Kubuntu or Install Kubuntu.
    You click on install Kubuntu and the next menu is Prepare 1) make sure you have 2,3 gb of space
    2) Plugged into Power Source
    3) connected to the Internet
    At this point you select foward .......
    at this point i can not select forward
    [img width=400 height=300]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/shortysdohdoh/IMG_20101202_230544.jpg[/img]

Comment

First, since you made a GParted Live CD and used it, could we see a screen shot of what that hard drive looks like, as seen from GParted?

Second, it looks like (for some reason yet to be learned) you might need to use an "Alternate" installation CD -- you can download the ISO from the same site as where you got the Live CD ISO.

Comment

Hi,

here is a screenshot of the new drive i installed last night. the other 750GB drive looks the same as this just bigger size. i would take a screenshot but i would have to unhook everything and open it up and switch the cables around. since i'm having the same issue with both drives i figured one screenshot would suffice.

[img width=400 height=300]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/shortysdohdoh/IMG_20101205_135545.jpg[/img]

i'll download and burn a copy of the alternate ISO now

edit: attempting install
        edit: things were going pretty smooth, then this came up
        [img width=400 height=300]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/shortysdohdoh/IMG_20101205_151632.jpg[/img]
        "No disk drive was detected. If you know the name of the driver needed by your disk drive, you can select it from the list."

i assume this is referring to my hard disk, and not my cd/dvd disk drive since it's reading off my cd/dvd disk drive now. There is an option to "continue with no disk drive"

edit: there is an option at the end of the list, just above the "none of the above" option called "wd7000". Does this WD stand for Western Digital? If it does, then maybe i could try that since mine is WD5000AAKX and the 750GB one I have is WD7501AALS

after a little time with google it appears that this problem is quite common. something to do with not recognizing drives hooked up by SATA?

Comment

I did some google searches on your problem.
          See this post about Raid http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3114076.0

Also there is a bug report about Marvell 9128 Pcie sata controller
          https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/658521

After reading the bug report I believe there is a fix coming out.

Also there is a post about an unknown partition.

You May want to try to partition /format the entire disk to ntfs and boot the live cd and run install from the live cd session to see if that works.
          check your bios settings ACHI and Raid.

You can try installing 10.04 and upgrading when the fix come out for the Marvell controller ( if your PC is using
          the Marvell controller)

Comment

The problem is the installer isn't detecting the hard drive. I would do these 2 things, and then try again:

1. Reboot your computer, enter BIOS, and for the SATA mode, set it to "Legacy IDE" or "IDE" or "Compatiblity" or whatever it offers, but not AHCI or RAID.

2. Use your GParted Live CD, and go ahead and partition that drive. I typically make a 15 - 20GB partition for the OS, a swap partition that is the same as my RAM, and the rest for data. On the partition for the OS, set the "boot" flag.

Then try again with your installation CD, and maybe it will see the new partitions.

Comment

On my way to work now so i'll try when i get home today. For now my question is about your partitions, what is the benefit of having so many partitions vs one big one or is that a personal preference? I always assumed that things wouldn't work seamlessly, or i guess i should ask; how does it work? They are all the same format?

Comment

the benefit of having separate / and /home partitions is that, if you have to reinstall, all your settings in /home will be preserved and you'll only wipe out the /partition. it is personal preference but lots of people prefer it that way, since it makes life easier.

Comment

aaahh, i get it, i think... so it's kind of like keeping your OS clean and tight, while every other partition serves kind of like an external hard drive?

Originally posted by dibl
                  1. Reboot your computer, enter BIOS, and for the SATA mode, set it to "Legacy IDE" or "IDE" or "Compatiblity" or whatever it offers, but not AHCI or RAID.
                  [img width=400 height=300]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/shortysdohdoh/IMG_20101207_133119.jpg[/img]
                  Looks like the bios settings were already set like this.

Originally posted by dibl
                  2. Use your GParted Live CD, and go ahead and partition that drive. I typically make a 15 - 20GB partition for the OS, a swap partition that is the same as my RAM, and the rest for data. On the partition for the OS, set the "boot" flag.
                  hmm, i'm a little confused as to what to do here. Which partitions should be primary or extended? what exactly is the role of an extended partition vs a primary? for example, do i want all primary of ext4 format? it looks like gparted will only allow 4 primary partitions.... or was it 4 total? i'm not really sure what i'm doing here. until now I've always just had 1 partition of xp, formatting the whole disc.

Comment

I read some old posts about asus p5q deluxe marvell sata 88e6121 controller using ubuntu 8.04 had to be set
                    as AHCI in order for the Hard Drive to be recongized

Comment

Ok i'll try that when i get home from work today and let you know how it goes

Comment

You can have 4 primary partitions on a hard drive. If you need more than 4 you have to create an extended partition
                        as the fourth and in the extended partition you can add more partitions,

example create an Ext4 primary partition of 20 gb with a mount point of /
                        Then create a 2gb swap partition, Then create an Ext4 partition for the rest of the disk with a mount point of /home

Then Install Kubuntu on the 20gb partition.

See this How to http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100629.0

Comment

ok

finally had enough time to fool around with this stuff again. i tried both "storage settings" from IDE to the other two options, RAID and AHCI with no luck. After creating ext4 partitions, i tried again and still had no luck.

i guess i have no other option but to switch the cables from SATA to old school?

edit: just out of curiosity i went ahead and downloaded a copy of Ubuntu and booted it up, received the same error.

Comment

If you have the time try kubuntu 10.04 to see if you have the same problem.

What is strange is that gparted sees you sata drives but Kubuntu doesn't

Comment

Working...
                            X