This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compatability?

I'm wondering if anyone has tested the Star Trek webcam ( http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/c585/ ) on Thinkgeek.com. Will it work with Linux?

Re: Compatability?

The description includes:
    UVC compatible
    . The uvcvideo module should drive it but, it will take only $25 plus shipping to find out if that description means what it says.

Once you get it and plug it in you can open a Konsole and issue:
    lsusb
    to see what the device mfg is...
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

awe heck who cares if it works, it's warp nacelles light up
      [me=claydoh]wants one badly [/me]

Comment

OMG claydoh, I hope you'll keep it at home and not use it at the office!

Please Read Me

Comment

And why not it would accent my Spock ears and my tribble collection

tbh, as I work in a restaurant, our so-called office is not much more than a glorified closet with a desk in it, and I definitely wouldn't have a cam in there.

Comment

Live long, and prosper
            Code:
             \\  //
              \\ //
              |||=

Please Read Me

Comment

As a Father and Son thing we watched StarTrek together in the mid 1960s. He memorized the script to all the parts in most of the episodes. When he would watch them again he'd speak the parts just before the actors would.

I also required my Physics students to watch StarTrek so we could discuss in class what was possible and what was impossible according to our current (then) understanding of Physics.

Just curious -- for those reading this thread --- what would you say was/is impossible in the StartTrek science?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

No Voyager there? What a shame. Besides, even then I wouldn't want to spend $25 for it.
                They really should do a *new* Star Trek series. The last series, "Enterprise", was pretty poor

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                Just curious -- for those reading this thread --- what would you say was/is impossible in the StartTrek science?
                - "Beam me up, Scotty!"
                - Warp drive
                - Phaser (although this one only might become real soon)
                - Tricorder
                Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

From wiki:
                  In February 2007, researchers from Purdue University publicly announced their portable (briefcase-sized) DESI-based mass spectrometer, the Mini-10,[4] which can be used to analyze compounds in ambient conditions without prior sample preparation. This was also announced as a "tricorder".[5]

Sandia National Laboratories in the U.S. is a major center for lab-on-a-chip research, and have developed many handheld instruments for biological or chemical analysis.[6]

In May 2008, researchers from Georgia Tech publicly announced[7] their portable hand-held multi-spectral imaging device, which aids in the detection of the severity of an injury under the skin, including the presence of pressure ulcers, regardless of lighting conditions or skin pigmentation. The day after the announcement, technology websites including Inside Tech[8] and The Future of Things[9] began comparing this device to the Star Trek tricorder.

In October 2009, researchers from NASA showed their prototype[10] for a device that detects deadly gases in the air; it contains a chip the size of a postage stamp connected to an iPhone.

A mobile medical imaging lab that operates using inexpensive mobile phones was demonstrated in 2009.[11]
                  The tricorder is on the way!

Phasers, yes
                  Anti-matter containment and fusion (warp engine), maybe
                  Matter transfer (beam me up), likely not
                  Warp drive (as physical acceleration to speeds 8 times faster than light), no
                  Warp drive as in interstellar travel, yes (worm holes? time/space folds?)

The interesting thing to me about that show is how much everyone in the universe has a compatible political system with ours and most of them speak english! Plus, alien chicks are hot!

Please Read Me

Comment

They're not if they look like octopus or ants!
                    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                    Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

The Green ones are hot!

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides
                        The Green ones are hot!
                        What? Green octopusses are hot? You sure have odd fetishes
                        Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Originally posted by Yuri sss
                          Originally posted by kyonides
                          The Green ones are hot!
                          What? Green octopusses are hot? You sure have odd fetishes
                          Green alien chicks are hot! (You must not have seen that episode!)

Comment

Original Star Trek series. Cheesy for it's time - as far as 'special effects' and costuming went - but the underlying philosophy was, for those who were prescient enough to 'see', was way ahead of it's time. Gene Roddenberry was a genius!

As to the 'green alien chicks': Yvonne Craig as Marta, a green Orion slave girl
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                              Original Star Trek series. Cheesy for it's time - as far as 'special effects' and costuming went - but the underlying philosophy was, for those who were prescient enough to 'see', was way ahead of it's time. Gene Roddenberry was a genius!

As to the 'green alien chicks': Yvonne Craig as Marta, a green Orion slave girl
                              Hmm... on that "Marta" pic, the skin (as well as the dress) looks clearly more blue than green to me:
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Marta.jpg

Oh, and that horrible 60s hair style really makes you run away screaming...

Comment

Working...
                              X