This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Kubuntu second class to Ubuntu?

I ask this question in regards to the wallpaper that ships with Ubuntu and Kubuntu Hardy. Now as superficial as this may seem, I'm just wondering why Ubuntu got that fantastic abstract image of a heron and Kubutnu has a very bland blue-white wallpaper. IMHO, it gives the impression that a lot of effort went into the Ubuntu wallpaper and that Kubuntu's was just a quick fix.

I would love to see a continuation of the abstract animal image as the default wallpaper for future, but colour coordinated for all the *Ubuntu flavours.

I would like to know what other people think about this, and other differences between the various flavours of Ubuntu and their respective perception on second class status.

(Perhaps I am wrong and just bitter )
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Re: Is Kubuntu second class to Ubuntu?

KDE has a lot of desktop features. I wonder if including a complex default background wouldn't be a bit disorienting? Personally I thought the clean look wallpaper was ok -- those of us who do digital photography will probably load our own anyway, or at any rate load someone else's from kdelook.

And at any rate, Kubuntu is first rate with me
    Jamendo | Wordpress | Dandelife | ccMixter | Csound

Comment

Ditto bmccosar's sentiment. I too, like the initial blue texture background that comes with Kubuntu. That said, I immediately went looking for wallpapers that suited my mood and tastes. I think everyone does that. So, having a default wallpaper 'of any description' isn't what matters anyway. It's "what's under the skin" that counts!
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I agree with both of you totally, as that is the spirit of Linux and having the choice to choose.

Perhaps what I was referring to is that it seems like more went into the creation of the default Ubuntu wallpaper, and thus trying to have it as the 'flagship' of the *Ubuntu flavours.
        Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

I agree that the Ubuntu Hardy Heron is really neat. I used Gimp and did something about that oversight! I hope this meets with your approval.

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/index.p...o_show&ida=181

Copy it and put it in the Wallpaper folder on your system.

Waldo

PS. I also hope the artist doesn't mind that I modified his really clever design.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            Ditto bmccosar's sentiment. I too, like the initial blue texture background that comes with Kubuntu. That said, I immediately went looking for wallpapers that suited my mood and tastes. I think everyone does that. So, having a default wallpaper 'of any description' isn't what matters anyway. It's "what's under the skin" that counts!
            Ditto that here!

Comment

I'd like to comment further on finifly's opening post.

I agree completely with him (or her?). That is the reason I spent the time recoloring the whimsical heron that graces the Gnome Ubuntu distro. The initial packaging is the first impression that the user has of any product. It doesn't matter that it can be modified to each users taste. It is also the image that potential users see in reviews and other editorial material that relates to Kubuntu. By using a generic bland background, it is not differentiated from any other generic Linux. "Second Class" would be a logical conclusion.

I hope someone on the Kubuntu packaging team sees this and takes it to heart. If the need arises to repackage Kubuntu 8.04, include my modification or another similar one as the default wallpaper. This should also be done for the KDE 4.0 mix as that blue wavy thingy is dark and depressing, and looks just like every other KDE 4.0 distro.

Comment

Thanks, waldo. The background looks really good.

The initial packaging is the first impression that the user has of any product. It doesn't matter that it can be modified to each users taste. It is also the image that potential users see in reviews and other editorial material that relates to Kubuntu. By using a generic bland background, it is not differentiated from any other generic Linux. "Second Class" would be a logical conclusion.
                This is also what I was trying to get at. Thanks again!

Comment

what a strange thread. But anyway, I also really liked the ubuntu wallpaper, so I just found it online and saved it.

I actually prefer Ubuntu's default color scheme as well, although I prefer KDE. Luckily it's easy to change.

Comment

Originally posted by waldo
                    I agree that the Ubuntu Hardy Heron is really neat. I used Gimp and did something about that oversight! I hope this meets with your approval.

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/index.p...o_show&ida=181

Copy it and put it in the Wallpaper folder on your system.

Waldo

PS. I also hope the artist doesn't mind that I modified his really clever design.

Wow, well done. It really looks good on my Kubuntu desktop. Thank you.

Comment

kde also ships with a lot of good lookin' wallpapers in /usr/share/wallpapers or so if I think, just go to configure desktop.
                      Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

kde also ships with a lot of good lookin' wallpapers in /usr/share/wallpapers or so if I think, just go to configure desktop.
                        I know that I can configure the desktop, it was more of a first impression of Ubuntu compared to Kubuntu in terms of the default wallpaper.

Comment

I think the sense in which kubuntu can be considered 'second' to ubuntu is different. More that gnome is considered the default, and also, ubuntu's release cycle follows gnome's (i think a new ubuntu comes about a month or two after a new gnome); kde users are left to the winds of chance in that respect, there was quite a lag between KDE4 and Kubuntu Hardy.
                          I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Ubuntus release cycle is every 6 months has nothing to do with gnomes.
                            Kubuntu 9.04<br /><br /><br />http://www.kubuntucomputergeeks.com

Comment

Wrong. Gnome releases have been every 6 months, in september and march, since 2004. ubuntu releases are. Ubuntu releases have been every 6 months, in october and april, since ubuntu started (with the exception of dapper). This is I believe deliberate, read https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TimeBasedReleases
                              In any case it leaves Gnome users in a better position that users of other desktop environments.
                              I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Working...
                              X