This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I Stopped Using Beryl And Live To Tell About It

I have to diagree with the top poster. On my machine, beryl is actually faster than Kwin and it seems to be running pretty stable as well compared to Kwin. Do you guys have hardware graphics acceleration at all? because that is the technology that gives me the speed advantage I guess. (Previously I used Kwin with composites enabled, although I sometimes turned it off when I had enough of the instability).

I think many people get their how to guides from the ubuntu section and that may not always be a good choice for kubuntu users as KDM is a different animal from GDM.

I installed beryl, beryl-manager and aquamarine. Aquamarine is a windows decorator that is an alternative to Emerald. Emerald is a gnomeish thing - aquamarine is for us KDE users. IT is quite well integrated with KDE (the controller is in kcontrol not a separate application.) In practice, aquamarine is KDE for your beryl 3d enchanced desktop!

I don't actually use the beryl manager. I start up the 3d desktop environment with these two commands from a shell. I guess I could script it to automatically load beryl at startup but I am not lazy enough to do so :P

Code:
    myuser@mymachine:~$ aquamarine &
    [1] 6419
    myuser@mymachine:~$ Found not compatible window manager. Waiting...

myuser@mymachine:~$ beryl &
    [2] 6420
    Beryl then reports some checking and starts up. That's all there is to it.

Comment

I have beryl and my system is pretty fast...guess I have no problems

Comment

I play games, a lot of them. That's why I didn't even try to install Beryl, I'm happy with my system actual performance and is still looking nice.

Regards,

MepisReign
        Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

Took me awhile since I have an ATI card but got Beryl working decently for awhile. But yeah it slowed down my system too much so I took it off. Works fine now and actually prefer the speed to the eye candy.

Comment

Still never manage to get beryl running.

I think i'll try sabayon's live cd to have a look at it. but, i might wait until one can install beryl without a headache.

Comment

I've had Beryl installed for a few months. I use it daily, and while I'm not a gamer, so can't say how Beryl would affect (or not affect) performance, I like what Beryl provides.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Have to agree with the tread starter in that my goal remains giving old laptops a second lease of life, so because this is low end(windows98se) the less weight to carry the better, I am happy that Beryl exists and that it outshines Aero but it conflicts with my goal of keeping things light
                every day is a gift

Comment

Working...
                X