Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HOWTO: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine - FF, GG, and HH w/KDE 3 and

So what happened here? I still get a blue screen but can hear sound...

BTW, all the other packages installed without a hitch.
    ingo@debtop:~$ sudo apt-get install libxine1-kde
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package libxine1-kde
    ingo@debtop:~$
    Finally it worked! I kept on getting sound but no picture, only a blue screen. This thread http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=9582.0 sorted me out - all I had to do was go into kaffeine - settings - xine parameters - video and change the driver from auto to xshm

Bingo...
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
      Finally it worked! I kept on getting sound but no picture, only a blue screen. This thread http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=9582.0 sorted me out - all I had to do was go into kaffeine - settings - xine parameters - video and change the driver from auto to xshm

Bingo...
      Good find toad! I'm sure it will be beneficial to others.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: HOWTO: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine - FF, GG, and HH w/KDE 3 and 4

Originally posted by Snowhog
        PLEASE NOTE: I used Feisty (32-bit) when I wrote this HOWTO, but it also works for Gutsy (32-bit) and Hardy (32-bit), all three of which I have installed and use in a triple-boot setup on my laptop.
        I used Hardy (amd64) and for this distribution, in step 6, I installed a package named w64codecs instead of w32codecs.

Comment

Re: HOWTO: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine - FF, GG, and HH w/KDE 3 and 4

Which would, of course, be the correct codec for your 64-bit system.

Comment

THANK YOU, Snowhog.

I am sure that if there is such a species as Snowhog, urgent steps must be taken to protect it, if for no other reason because its namesake is invaluable for GNU software, as I have also seen on previous occasions.

Anyway, your recipe for how to play a legally paid for (rented) DVD film om Kaffeine worked like a charm.
            Kle

Comment

Thank you for the kind sentiments.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                [glow=red,2,300]
                libxine1-plugins (this is an empty package that marks for installation the following packages)
                libxine1-console
                libxine1-ffmpeg
                libxine1-gnome
                libxine1-kde
                Please note that the libxine1-plugins, with the 4 files you listed, is no longer in the repos. It was evidently replaced just this week by a libxine1-all-plugins, with a great many files - I forgot to count. I downloaded it and the Kaffeine works.

Comment

@kle

Thanks for the information. I've updated the instructions to reflect the change.

Comment

Ok, here's what happened with me. I was playing an .iso with Kaffeine and it kept giving me the error. I found this fourm and tried it, it didn't work. After a while I got the idea that it had to do with the .iso being on a ntfs drive I had mounted. Sure enough when I moved it to my home folder it worked great.

Just to let anyone know if they are having the same problem.

Comment

I had trouble getting anything to work on kaffeine for the last week or two. Today, I looked up kaffeine in my adept, and noticed that there were 'kaffeine-gstreamer,' and 'kaffeine-mozilla' packages that I had not installed. After installing these, kaffeine works perfectly.
                      Free = Good

Comment

Minor problem.

I have Kubuntu Hardy with the KDE 4.1 upgrade. I followed the steps in this HowTo and was able to get Kaffeine to play my DVDs. Worked like a charm.

When I reboot, it no longer goes into KDE. It comes up with a text login prompt. When I log in, it gives me the bash shell. I can then type startx to get into KDE. But this is a consistent behavior.

Has anyone else encountered this? I assume it's related to this fix in some way because it just happened after I tried this, although I may have done something else inadvertantly in my efforts to play the DVD at first. Does anyone know a solution?

Thanks!

Comment

Scratch that

I saw on another old posting
                          http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=41286&page=2

That someone had suggested checking to see whether the kubuntu desktop package was still installed. I checked in Synaptic and it was installed. Even so, I tried reinstalling the package anyway.

Rebooted and it launched right into KDE. 8) Problem solved!

Comment

I found a simpler solution.
                            To get Kaffeine to play commercial DVDs.
                            I wasn't sure of it, to start with, having both the 'apt-get' command and the simple method I have since repeated.
                            To know definitely, that the simple method DOES work.
                            With the greatest of ease.

And, it is this, having re-installed my Kubuntu for the upteeenth time....to 'tinker/experiment' with it. (To really learn 'How' things DO work in Kubuntu.).......I merely clicked on the VCD button.

This prompted me, for the the "Root Password".
                            So, I entered it.
                            And, the Adept Manager(via Kaffeine's 'set-up') took over.
                            To install the 'necessary CODECS'........for the VCD.
                            I also had a commerical DVD handy, in the the DVD Player, ready to run.
                            I clicked on the DVD button, in Kaffeine, and, WHOOPIE!
                            The DVD played!
                            Without hestiation, without any 'undue effect' to the Sound quality, either!
                            To me, that's really really simple and easy.............even for the rawest of novices to understand/to make use of!

Comment

Thanks for the how to.

Running 8.04 with KDE 4 (64 bit)

You got me up and running playing DVD's in kmplayer and MP3's in JUK. nice work.

Comment

Hi all, I am a newbie and this guide looked just like the thing I needed , but guess what , it still doesn't work. It plays once and then the old message again. Have to restart kaffeine or log out before it works again.

Any ideas ? BTW. the same is happening in vlc .

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X