Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a REAL geeks desk's looks like. Show off your desktop - the real one!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are five types (or 'levels') of geek:

1) geek
    2) Geek
    3) GEek
    4) GEEk
    5) GEEK

Very rarely is one born a GEEK (it does happen). Those who are predisposed to geekdom usually start at level 1. The degree of geekishness one attains varies, even fluctuating over time. Embrace the geek within! You are not alone.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Here's my desktop
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
        @oshunluvr You class ya'sen a geek? A proper geek would spend time compiling. This comment from you proves proof that your not a geek https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post374540

If you were a true geek you'd be using Gentoo or Funtoo linux instead of Kubuntu.
        I tried funtoo (even wrote an f2fs installation guide), but it to too long to compile everything. I settled on manjaro, it has binary packages- but you still compile a lot of stuff
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Well I live in a flat, so space is a bit of a premium. I have a nice folding wooden table with my name engraved... a present from my girlfriend, who is thankfully very accepting of my geeky side...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Desk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	642940

If your name isn't on it, how do we know it's really yours?
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            shared copy/pasta buffer
            Steve you really crack me up, you know you spend too much time on the internet when little things like this make their way into your posts!
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              @Simon: Water cooled Kubuntu machine. I looked into Oil but too much of a PITA.
              Water cooled...eh? Neat trick, place fish in with it? LOL

Pain in the butt, seriously no, we used an older machine to begin with and that more than anything else is why he got rid of it. It was an old emachine T1140 motherboard, 450 watt PSU, 48x ReWrite DVD. The biggest expense was an acrylic fish tank and 5 gallons of mineral oil to fill it. It ran for more than 18 months before he decided to go buy a new machine at the store. I remember the candy thermo we put in there never got much higher than 40 °C to 50 °C. The only "benefits" I saw with the machine was quiet running and didn't need internal dusting.

Comment

This doesn't show too much, but

Here is a slightly older pictures
                Last edited by jpenguin; Jul 12, 2015, 01:25 PM.
                Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post

1) geek
                  2) Geek
                  3) GEek
                  4) GEEk
                  5) GEEK
                  Not if you're on window$.

Back when M$ finally added uppercase/lowercase functionality to naming files, I remember being so excited. Wow, only TWENTY-FIVE YEARS after UNIX did it! That's impressive. And then I found out the hard way that, no, in fact, it wasn't anything LIKE the real method I've known in *nix since 1985, it was a stupid M$ idea of upper- and lowercase file names, i.e., "THIS" "This" and "this" all get saved as the SAME FILE. I remember pulling my hair out one day at work (where I had the displeasure of administering some window$ machines) while trying to save a file, which I'll call "thisFile". I kept getting that annoying prompt that the file already exists, and I kept saying [out loud, in my office, to myself], NO IT DOESN'T. And I'd list the files in that directory, and see "ThisFile"--but definitely NOT "thisFile." I finally figured out that that stupid, moronic, idiotic, childish, so-called operating system thought they were the same. Ugh. I'm so glad I never have to see or touch another window$ box as long as I live...
                  Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    Show your desktop!
                    I'd love to...but I'd have to FIND it first!
                    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Left to right: Apple iPad Air 2, Toshiba Satellite P105-S6147, Apple iMac Retina 27 inch (brand new), HP Pavilion g7.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 15, 2015, 08:32 AM.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post

1) geek
                        2) Geek
                        3) GEek
                        4) GEEk
                        5) GEEK

Very rarely is one born a GEEK (it does happen). Those who are predisposed to geekdom usually start at level 1. The degree of geekishness one attains varies, even fluctuating over time. Embrace the geek within! You are not alone.
                        Maybe I should change my handle to greyGEEk because I rarely compile apps any more.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

That's about as neat as it gets. Even when I clean the surfaces, I replace the clutter about as you see it. Desk is setup so I can stand or sit on a 36" stool (shown on the left), thus, the jacked-up keyboard, mouse, and monitor. New PC build in the old Antec Lanboy case shown with clear side window. Believe it or not, my cable management inside the case is pretty neat, for air-flow and clean-a-bility. Used to be worse--I had two PCs set up there (the other one is still good, under the table on the right, black case, which you can't see very well, behind the waste basket). As I'm a woodworker, I try not to buy much furniture/cabinets, I build it, though you can see the commercial, contemporary cheap-o $100 white desk in the center of this mess, old, like 1999. The Wal-Mart $39 HP 2050 printer barely visible at far right on white cabinet (somewhat down-sized from the $1500 HP laser I used when active as a consultant). You might notice the bowl of marbles I keep close by (on desk at right) -- ya don't wanna ever lose your marbles, you know.
                          Attached Files
                          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Oh, and all the rocks laying around, everywhere. Rock-hound here. Got boxes of them inside the garage and outside in yard. Decided before I die, I should pull the neat ones and start displaying them where I can see them. Fossils, dino bone, petrified wood, all sorts of stuff.
                            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Name:	IMAG0149.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	642953Whats on top of the desk
                              . Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0150.jpg
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	642954Under the desk. Box on the right runs Kubuntu 14.04 on a 500Gb SSD, and three 1Tb HDDs, 16Gb ram, with dual 27" monitors. Box on the left Kubuntu 14.04 with single 3 Tb hdd, 4 gigs ram, and a single 24" monitor.

Comment

Name:	image1.png
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	642955

All you guys with big boxes and a dozen monitors were making me envious...
                                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                                X