Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a REAL geeks desk's looks like. Show off your desktop - the real one!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All you guys with big boxes and a dozen monitors were making me envious...
    Ha! Never occurred to me . It did remind me, though, when I built this PC early this year, I temporarily re-used my 17" Samsung monitor, intending to replace it with maybe a 20-22" (max), but I forgot to do that! Oh well, I'm used to this 17". And as Samsung products never die, well, it's 17" from here on out, maybe. (Actually, a 20-22" might be easier on the aging eyes, maybe).
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

My uncle used to have a system with 8 monitors. he was doing day trading at the time so I guess it made sense. I think I would spend too much time looking at all of them trying to remember where I put program X

Comment

Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
          And as Samsung products never die, well, it's 17" from here on out, maybe.
          Apart from the phones, maybe. My girlfriend bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and it was awful. She actually had two and they both suffered from overheating and really crappy build quality, so it wasn't just bad luck. Some of the older models were much better quality, but I still wouldn't recommend Samsung phones to anyone just because this model caused me so much grief.
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

My S5 is still running strong, almost 18months now. Gets a bit hot when plugged in now, but has a user replaceable battery. I flashed CM12 to it
            Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Personally, I really dislike the Samsung interface. I have Motorola's now and love them. Cheap too. $300 for the X unlocked and no contract. My daughter's E was only $129.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
                My S5 is still running strong, almost 18months now. Gets a bit hot when plugged in now, but has a user replaceable battery. I flashed CM12 to it
                That's my biggest complaint about Apple's walled garden. When the battery dies you can't simply go to Battery World and by a replacement you can put in your self. You are forced to send your iPhone to Apple, wrapped in $150, and wait a couple weeks for them to install a replacement battery. If I were using my own money to buy a smartphone it would be something with user battery replacement capability.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ok, I've been building a new HUGE desktop to hold my stuff. It wasn't quite finished when our landlord notified us we had to move at the end of our lease (they moved back in)...

...anyway, here it is in my new office, not yet complete - arm/elbow pads missing and wire looms not yet installed. The laptop of the left is running Air Traffic simulation on Win7Pro and Fedora 4 in a VM, the smaller lappy on the right is my work communication and MS office business laptop, and the 3 monitors in the center are showing my Kubuntu desktop.

The cool thing is the center and left screens are also connected to the left laptop and the center and right screens are connected to the right laptop. So I can have 1, 2 or 3 screens per device depending on my activity at the time! Kewl, right?
                  Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

That desk is nice. You don't need a shoehorn to get all your stuff on it... ;-)
                    ...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
                    the Ugly).

Comment

It's too nice. I'm not sure I could get any work done in that neat, organized office environment. Easy to clean, though!
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Nice!
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Here is my untidy office...
                          Attached Files
                          the Ugly).

Comment

@ Paceline ... Yeah, much better! Nowhere near as neat. (I posted in #27, just to even this challenge out When I did math work, it was much worse.) Nice little desk containing your 3 monitors, btw; I like the "style."

Comment

Yeah, I have just enough of a small pathway to come in and get to my chair.
                              the Ugly).

Comment

Glad you guys appreciate my new 'top. I made it from 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood, I use file cabinets to support the ends and bought two "hairpin" style legs for the center piece - one at each joint. I'm still getting it organized but it's much more usable space than I had before. I'm no longer worried about knocking stuff onto the floor!

My latest addition is these wire loom racks from Ikea. I bought 4 and I have installed three so far. One nice thing about them is they're large enough to hold a laptop brick power supply off of the floor. Less messy wires to look at and I'm not tangling my feet in them when I stretch out my legs under the desk...
                                Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                                X