Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey friends: On the road again. Oshunluvr begins an Expedition!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey friends: On the road again. Oshunluvr begins an Expedition!

On the surface, it seems a little odd to consider people I've never actually met face-to-face as friends. Further internal examination begs the question: What makes us consider another person a "friend" over an acquaintance or passer-by or even a not-friend? "Not-friend" being someone I don't like and don't want to be friends with.

I believe it comes from knowing more about that person. Knowing enough about them that is personal - how they think, what they believe, sense of humor, whatever is important to you about people - and then comparing those things to our own set of the same things. That's how I choose friends - or not-friends.

Based on that criteria, I have several friends here, in this forum. Many acquaintances, some of which may be friends someday. Very few not-friends. I hope to meet many of you face-to-face if location and time allows.

Anyway: No real point to the above. Just thinking out loud.

The purpose of this post is to share my great new adventure with my friends and future-friends: In just a couple weeks, we're moving the whole fam-damily from Southern California to North Carolina. It's going to take the whole summer to complete the journey and I will likely not be on here much during that time. I dis-assembled and packed my office last night so it's already begun. I'm posting from work today (don't worry - I've already quit so they can't fire me! ) and this is my last week here.

Initially, we're taking our RV on a long route across the North to check a few more states off our bucket list item titled "See all 50 States" and we'll see the shores of all 5 Great Lakes to boot. Of course, many National Parks will be visited and sights will be seen. I will occasionally check in using my tablet when wifi is available and make notations about the travels and travails.

For those interested, a sequential list of States: California, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, and finally North Carolina. Seven of these are new to both my wife and myself and only Wyoming we have visited together in the past (other than the two home states: California and North Carolina).

The astute geographers among you might notice what appears to be a gap between Michigan and New York. It will be filled with the Canadian Province of Ontario. We will also enter Canada earlier in the trip from Minnesota and re-enter the US via the Mackinac Bridge, after traveling along the North shore of Superior. Another fun geographical note is we will see three totally different sets of water falls: Twin Falls ID, Amnicon Falls MI, and of course Niagara Falls ON/NY.

My final US crossing will be alone hauling all our crap via I-10, I-20, and I-95, through 3 States new to me; MS, AL, and SC. I have several friends (including a son) along this route so although driving alone, I will spend evenings with company.

Wish me safe passage and no breakdowns!

Please Read Me

Wow -- Oshunluvr is indeed embarking on an adventure! Sounds actually like a new phase of life. I once did the Mackinac -- International Falls trip in the counter-clockwise direction on a motorcycle -- actually we completely circumnavigated Lake Superior. A great trip indeed. Shoot me a PM, if you can, when you know when you'll be in PA/MD/WV or however you're doing that part of it. Being a retired guy, I have been known to throw a bag in my SUV and launch on no notice. Bon Voyage!

Comment

We're basically shooting straight from Niagara Falls to Virginia Beach then into NC. I figure by the time we get to the falls, we'll be more than ready to get to our new home!

Current schedule is to depart Niagara on or about the 30th of July. Through PA will be along the East side of the Allegheny Forest stopping in Lewistown area, then toward (but around) D.C. and Richmond VA. A night or 2 in Virginia Beach, then on to New Bern - our new home. Honestly, we don't know that section of the US at all so it's entirely possible we may change our route between now and then if we uncover someplace we want to stop. If you have any must-see suggestions for that area, I'm all ears!

Please Read Me

Comment

That's quite a route! A mind boggling distance to a little islander like myself

Best of luck!

Sam
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

In just a couple weeks, we're moving the whole fam-damily from Southern California to North Carolina
          Why? Having lived in the south [Florida, Texas] before coming home to SoCal, I just can't imagine anything...ever...making me want to go back to the south. But I realize I'm not you!
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
            That's quite a route! A mind boggling distance to a little islander like myself

Best of luck!

Sam
            The distance is approximately the same as you driving from Birmingham to Karachi, Pakistan!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              The distance is approximately the same as you driving from Birmingham to Karachi, Pakistan!
              System overload!

samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                Why? Having lived in the south [Florida, Texas] before coming home to SoCal, I just can't imagine anything...ever...making me want to go back to the south. But I realize I'm not you!
                Well, Texas and Florida are in the South, but they aren't "The South" if you know what I mean. North Carolina is a long way from Texas and Florida in more ways than just mileage. While agreeing that each to his own is the one-true-path, let me list a few things about L.A. (where we both live ) that I won't have in New Bern NC.

Traffic.
                California Drivers.
                "Ghetto Birds" a.k.a. helicopters overhead at 2-3 am every morning.
                Fire engine and police sirens all day - every day.
                Drunks leaving the bars and walking down the street singing/arguing/loudly talking at 2-3 am every morning.
                Rent for a one bedroom apartment in a bad neighborhood at $1000 a month or more.
                State income tax that exceeds 10%.
                1000's of sick homeless (mostly mentally ill or drug addicted) people wandering the area.
                Crappy school systems with 32-36 kids per class.
                I could go on...

If you live in some of the outlying areas you avoid some of the above, but then you don't get the benefits of living by the beach. You can have them too: the deserts with 120 summers and frozen winters and no plant life to speak of and some of your neighbors cooking meth in the garage. No thanks.

Things in L.A. I will miss:
                Lots of great restaurant choices.
                Unlimited entertainment at any time.
                Unparalleled cultural and ethnic diversity.
                The friends and family we're leaving behind.

Weather is really the only major plus to coastal SoCal over just about everywhere else. In just about every other way, L.A. pretty much sucks.

Where we're moving, we'll have slightly warmer summers plus some humidity and slightly colder winters, but we get rain and thunderstorms - which are awesome. I can afford a house ON the water there with my own dock that I own. My pension is tax free. My daughter will be able to ride her bike beyond my eyesight without me worrying about her getting kidnapped or molested. People will actually say "Hi" to you when you pass on the street. The average class size in my daughters new school is 15.

Besides, we'll have a whole new part of the US to explore and get to know right in our own backyard. I have no idea how long we'll be there or where we'll eventually land. But I won't be coming back to SoCal except to visit, and I'm sure I'll have no trouble remembering why I left.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                  System overload!

What's the longest drive you've ever done yourself? Here in the US, it's sort of a young adult rite of passage to load some friends into an old car and drive somewhere a long way away at least once before you get too old to suffer like that. The distances we regularly drive to holiday equal crossing the whole of Europe!

Please Read Me

Comment

Back to NC vs. SoCal: There are some things I suspect I will not like there. It will be interesting to re-visit this thread a year or more from now and see what's good and what's not-so once I've been there for awhile.

Please Read Me

Comment

Lisbon, Portugal to Minsk, Belarus = 3851km/2393 miles
                      Los Angeles, California to Washington D.C. = 4247km/2629 miles

lol...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                        What's the longest drive you've ever done yourself?
                        Ummmm probably from Guildford to Keswick in the lake district... about 320 miles.

Here in the US, it's sort of a young adult rite of passage to load some friends into an old car and drive somewhere a long way away at least once before you get too old to suffer like that. The distances we regularly drive to holiday equal crossing the whole of Europe!
                        Yeah but then most of your roads are really long and straight, right? It takes ages to drive anywhere in the UK because the roads are all small/twisty (picture yourself driving through the shire... ) with the exception of the motorways, which are usually quite busy.

I walked Hadrian's Wall with my mates (125km/84mi) for my 18th birthday carrying all the kit and food etc., I think that's more fun than being stuck in the car in the UK!
                        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Guildford to Keswick in the lake district... about 320 miles.
                          That's a decent piece - 5 hours or so? Almost the whole of the country, ay? I bet that walk took a bit longer.

Many of our highways are indeed long and straight, especially in the West and Mid-West. Back home, we used to joke that you could drive from Denver all the way to Kansas City without making a turn. An exaggeration of course. Mostly rather than straightness what you notice is hours with no real change in scenery. I swear if you fell asleep in West Texas and awoke just before Louisiana you'd think you had not gone far at all. I suspect our drive across Montana/North Dakota will be just like that.

Please Read Me

Comment

NC is nice ,,,I was born in DC and grew up in the suburbs in MD .

the difference in trafick alone is worth geting away from the city (well dont go to Charlotte Winston or Greensboro) and the first thing I notest when I moved hear 20 years ago was that you could just talk to some one out the blue without them thinking you were going to try to rob them people are more friendly hear(than in a big city , I'v never been to CA) ,,,,,,for the most part.

I live in Lexington , a smal town between Salisbury and Thomasville on I85 .

if you are going thrue DC you should spend a day going to all the Smithsonian's (the museums) I remember them as quite cool ,,,, the geologic one with all the gemstones and the Hope diamond is worth it by its self .

VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Looks like you are going to have a summer of fun! Taking a leap of faith, or have you signed on with a new employer at New Bern?

New Bern is at the head of the southern bay of Palmico Sound. You'll be only 20 miles from the open ocean! If you ever get sick of L.A. traffic you can drive around the clover leafs at the intersection of I70 and 17, just south east of New Bern!

When I took a class in PCL programming of Parker corp hydraulic systems at Forest City, NC I noticed a plant there that was over running the country and smothering all the native plants. They called it Kudzu.
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X