Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey friends: On the road again. Oshunluvr begins an Expedition!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading your comments, OL, makes me realize that your SoCal and my SoCal are very different places. Here in my neighborhood, the dozens of people who walk, bike, skate, scooter, skateboard, or walk their dogs past my house every day wave, smile, say "how are you?", etc., while I'm outside sitting on my porch every afternoon. I don't know any of them, other than from seeing them go past my house--and waving, smiling, saying "how are you?" or "the peacocks are amazing!" or "your yard is so beautiful!"

My mom's comments about it being so quiet it's like a cemetery were meant as a counterpoint to your comments about the noise in your neighborhood from police sirens, helicopters, etc. There simply is NONE of that here. So your belief that living in LA and noise from police and helicopters go hand in hand doesn't match my reality at all. People pay a lot of money to live in really quiet neighborhoods--like mine. Oh, sure, I hear sirens once in a while--because there's a fire station ~1/2 mile from my house. I heard their sirens multiple times in 2012 and 2013--when the paramedics were responding to emergencies here at my house. I occasionally see them responding to other houses in the neighborhood. But POLICE sirens? I can't recall the last time I heard those. When we hear a lot of sirens here, we know there's a fire in the San Gabriel Mountains:

Anyway, I'm glad you're happy with your decision to leave for the east coast, but it kind of saddens me to think that the plethora of places, climates, geographies, and prices that CA can offer somehow failed you.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Wow. Don't get out of breathe from all the excitement! Did you gather on the street with all your neighbors and share your feelings about the big event? Did you call all your family and tell them the big story? Was there a news team there?

ROFLMAO!

Please Read Me

Comment

Well there's a couple of things at play here. Mostly, it's my desire to have something happening. As you point out, nothing is happening there. Honestly, your story about living there for as long as you have and yet you don't know your neighbors is a huge part of why I would never live there and helps illustrate what it is about this place (California) that I don't like.

In my location: yes, I have helicopters, sirens, the occasional crime (even shootings - but that's usually the police), but I know my neighbors by name - most of them anyway. We sit on our porch, share wine, talk to the homeless, out kids play together, we gather in the back around the bbq, etc. Many of them are a little upset that we're leaving. That's how life in the city is, and that part I love. You don't really live in the city. However, the bad things here have worn me thin. I'm getting too old to tolerate the neighbor who lets their dog bark all night, drunks at 2 a.m. etc., but moving to Arcadia or some of the other 'burbs like yours seems a slow death to me. Please don't think for a second I'm being critical of you or your lifestyle - it's just not for me. Your neighbors are paying a ton of money to avoid everything L.A. has to offer, except the weather. Makes no sense to me what-so-ever. Why not leave? This week a survey came out showing Southern California home to 7 of the top 10 least affordable neighborhoods in the nation - comparing rent/home cost to income.

So that leaves the question: Where can I go without all the racket and bad stuff, still have lots to entertain myself with and friendly neighbors that I can get to know? A better life for my daughter - and a safer one? Do I really have to resign myself to slow death or is there something else?

So off on our adventure we go. We've already discovered the best local place to dig for clams, where we go to buy fresh live shrimp right off the boat, made a few acquaintances who might just become friends, and that's just during our visits. Real estate prices - based on the median - are 400% higher here. Yet there, I'll be living ON the water, minutes from the ocean by boat or car. BTW, the median income there is only 20% lower than here.

We're giving up access to major concert tours (Raleigh-Durham, the nearest college town is 1.5 hrs away), shopping malls (a plus in my view), and reducing our restaurant selection (within an hours drive) from 1000's to less than 100. A worthwhile trade I believe - to be determined down the road a bit, for sure. We'll have to see.

Honestly: Most people I know don't move - at least not far. Change scares the begeezus out of most people. To me, lack of change equals boredom. Life does not thrive in a stagnant pond, but the rushing river teems with it. If we get there and a couple years down the road we decide it's not for us - we'll move again. I think Southwestern France will be my next stop - at least for a couple years!
        Last edited by oshunluvr; Jun 28, 2014, 10:56 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Well there's a couple of things at play here. Mostly, it's my desire to have something happening. As you point out, nothing is happening there. Honestly, your story about living there for as long as you have and yet you don't know your neighbors is a huge part of why I would never live there and helps illustrate what it is about this place (California) that I don't like.
          I didn't say I don't know my neighbors. I said I don't know the dozens of people who go past my house every day exercising. I know both of my neighbors very well.

Arcadia was back as the first story on the news last night: Our missing firefighter has been found, dead. A very sad ending and one we hoped not to see.

OL, I feel very differently about living in the suburbs than you do. I LOVE its quietness. I LOVE its serene beauty. Seeing the San Gabriels again--as I did throughout my childhood--makes me feel grounded and happy. And knowing that I can be at the beach, or desert, or any of zillions other places, within 15-90 minutes means I have a world of things available to me even though I live in a quiet, serene place. If being ON [or REALLY close to] the water was an absolute prerequisite for me, I wouldn't live in Arcadia; I'd sell this house and buy one in Santa Monica or somewhere else. But I prefer the Valley microclimate to the beaches, so here I stay.

Regarding housing costs: There's no comparison. I know that. The house I owned in a nice, safe Dallas suburb was bigger than my current house here in Arcadia. But its selling price? Wouldn't even buy a CLOSET here! Seriously, I could buy the entire BLOCK I lived on in Dallas just by selling my Arcadia house. But that's not going to happen. My grandmother bought this house in 1971. She was rich--she paid cash for all her properties, including business and residential rentals throughout Pasadena and Arcadia. My mom inherited it from her, and now I've inherited it from Mom. It's going to stay in this family for the foreseeable future, as it will go to my daughter when I bite the dust.
          Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Jun 28, 2014, 03:08 PM.
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

OT: When viewing this thread in my normal browser, SeaMonkey, no images are showing up; but viewing it in Chrome or Firefox, they do. I've checked SM's settings for images and they're definitely set to display. Any ideas anyone?

ETA: Viewing this thread right now with SeaMonkey on my Chromebook--and its pictures are displayed just fine. So I'm more confused than before! FWIW, although it's a Chromebook, its OS is Kubuntu. It took less than an hour last year to realize Google's idea of Linux, Chrome OS, along with its heavy reliance on the cloud, wasn't going to cut it for me. So I installed Kubuntu and all is good in the world.
            Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Jun 28, 2014, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I believe it comes from knowing more about that person. Knowing enough about them that is personal - how they think, what they believe, sense of humor, whatever is important to you about people - and then comparing those things to our own set of the same things. That's how I choose friends - or not-friends.
              Indeed, the Internet has changed what we traditionally have considered the characteristics of friendship. It's entirely possible to get to know people who live physically thousands of miles away -- consider how much time we all spend together on the forum here.

For those interested, a sequential list of States: California, Oregon, Idaho...
              I feel slighted...turning, literally, right past Washington. Fine. Need to rethink this "friend" bit, LOL

Wish me safe passage and no breakdowns!
              Sounds like a great adventure! Looking forward to your updates.

A night or 2 in Virginia Beach
              Say "hi" when you drive by the hospital, for that's where I was born.

Where we're moving, we'll have slightly warmer summers plus some humidity and slightly colder winters, but we get rain and thunderstorms - which are awesome.
              And bugs...ew ick. You're right about storms -- they're great. I miss those.

Many of our highways are indeed long and straight, especially in the West and Mid-West. Back home, we used to joke that you could drive from Denver all the way to Kansas City without making a turn. An exaggeration of course.
              Don't forget the occasional intersection. Watching a yellow "STOP AHEAD" sign flash past at 165 mph is, ah, an uncomfortable occasion for requiring a change of one's underwear!

Comment

Lost in all this is: HAVE FUN ON YOUR ROAD TRIP!! I love long road trips, and have done many in my time. They're now a fond, but distant, memory. I don't recall the exact number offhand any more, but I think I've been to half of the states. There's nothing like seeing the US up close and personal as you can in your own vehicle, on your own schedule.

Have fun and be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  ... Don't forget the occasional intersection. Watching a yellow "STOP AHEAD" sign flash past at 165 mph is, ah, an uncomfortable occasion for requiring a change of one's underwear!
                  165 mph?

That beats me. My dad bought a new 1957 Plymouth Sport Fury (with 357 HP police interceptor engine, IIRC) and in the fall of 1958, as a bored 17 year old, I took the bus from Englewood to downtown Denver, to where he worked at a luggage factory next to the 87/I25 interchange (there's a park there now), and asked if I could borrow the car. The time was 11:30PM He gave me the keys and told me to be back by 1PM, when he got off work. I hopped onto the 87/I25 heading south and turned around at the edge of Colorado Springs and drove back. 128 miles. I got to his workplace just as he was leaving the employees exit, at 1PM. Most of the time I had the gas peddle floor boarded and the speedometer pegged at over 120 mph. While going through the Daniels forest near Castle Rock I encountered fog. I stayed in the left lane. I'd see red tail lights ahead and would flash by on their left. The Plymouth didn't hug the ground at high speeds the way modern cars do. It sort of pitched up and down slightly but, fortunately, didn't have any yaw. When I left the tank was full, about 23 gallons. When I got back the tank was less than 1/4th left. My dad was stunned by how I could use so much fuel in 90 minutes. He accused me of siphoning fuel out to my friends. I never told him how I manged to use so much in such a short time. IIRC, gasoline was about 25-30 cents/gal, give or take a Nickel, so it took only about $5 to fill it.

We do stupid things when we are young. I am fortunate to have remained a contributor in the gene pool.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                    Want to see what 3 british tv presenters got up to whilst driving through Alabama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKcJ-0bAHB4
                    Oh that is probably one of the best Top Gear episodes ever

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                      Lost in all this is: HAVE FUN ON YOUR ROAD TRIP!! I love long road trips, and have done many in my time. They're now a fond, but distant, memory. I don't recall the exact number offhand any more, but I think I've been to half of the states. There's nothing like seeing the US up close and personal as you can in your own vehicle, on your own schedule.

Have fun and be safe!
                      Message not lost - and thanks. These sorts of discussions are a big part of a good life. If one only surrounds oneself with those sharing only our views, then one never learns anything. You're very lucky to have had a wise and wealthy grandparent. Everything I have has come from my own sweat. Hmmm, if I were to win the big lotto would I stay here? Probably not. Been here, done that!

I feel slighted...turning, literally, right past Washington. Fine. Need to rethink this "friend" bit, LOL
                      I KNEW you were going to be butt-hurt over this! LOL. My wife and I have both spent many great times visiting your lovely state. Unfortunately, time is a factor and even if we did venture the few miles north, I couldn't make it to Seattle this trip. We'll be within 3.5 hours of you! The closest I'm planning is McMinville OR to do a little wine tasting and picking up supplies for the rest of the journey (supplies=wine ) then we're following the Columbia River to "The Dalles" where my wife's cousin lives.

Our current schedule is leaving L.A. on the 7th of July passing through Portland area July 12-14.

Please Read Me

Comment

Message not lost - and thanks.

These sorts of discussions are a big part of a good life. If one only surrounds oneself with those sharing only our views, then one never learns anything.
                        Indeed. My two most recent best friends--both Republican--are the best example I can come up with for how I don't limit myself to people who share my own views.

You're very lucky to have had a wise and wealthy grandparent.
                        Want to hear something hilarious? She'd be turning over in her grave...well, her mausoleum thingy, if she knew *I* now own this house. It's way too long a story to go into here, but suffice to say that when I left home at 16 I turned my back on my family's money. Everything I accomplished I did on my own. My husband and I paid my way through college, we bought a house on our own, we raised a child with no help from anyone, helped put her through college, etc. And mixed in with all of that were serious, life-altering illnesses [on my part], with catastrophic medical bills, inability to work for long stretches of time, and nearly dying. Yet we were steadfast in not asking for or wanting any help from my rich family.

Everything I have has come from my own sweat.
                        I get that. Really. And aren't you glad you did it that way? I am. There's a satisfaction, a contentment, that comes with achieving things on your own that cannot be matched by being GIVEN things. I always said I wouldn't feel right about being handed something, but I never truly KNEW until last year when I inherited this house. I've been all over the map thinking about giving it to charity, or not, or...whatever...because I'm just not cut out for living off someone else's hard work.

Hmmm, if I were to win the big lotto would I stay here? Probably not. Been here, done that!
                        Not me. I'd buy a 'second' house in Malibu. Then a little 'starter' home [you know, worth around a million] for my daughter and her little family here in Arcadia, so their boys could take advantage of our stellar public schools.

Comment

I always said I wouldn't feel right about being handed something, but I never truly KNEW until last year when I inherited this house. I've been all over the map thinking about giving it to charity, or not, or...whatever...because I'm just not cut out for living off someone else's hard work.
                          Have you given it to charity then?

Not me. I'd buy a 'second' house in Malibu. Then a little 'starter' home [you know, worth around a million] for my daughter and her little family here in Arcadia, so their boys could take advantage of our stellar public schools.
                          A starter home for 1 million? What planet do you live on?

Comment

here in Arcadia,
                            Michael Anthony, the legendary Van Halen bass player, is from Arcadia.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                              ... A starter home for 1 million? What planet do you live on?
                              Between 2004 and 2007 I saw an amazing trend take place in the housing market, before the bubble burst. (I wrote the homestead software for the Nebraska Dept of Revenue and had access to all the data). Around 2004 I noticed a large number of folks moving from California to Nebraska. (I read that there were similar migrations to Colorado, Kanasas and New Mexico as well.). During that period of time software programmers who were making $100K/year were either living out of their car or van, or were commuting from distant suburbs to LA every day. The reason? Houses were so expensive in LA, and California in general. Folks were selling their houses for $500K to $1.5M or higher, and then moving to Nebraska and buying a similar, or better, home for $200K to $500K. They banked the rest. All that migration quit when the housing bubble burst. So, back before 2007, in CA, a "starter" home could go for $1M.
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                                Between 2004 and 2007 I saw an amazing trend take place in the housing market, before the bubble burst. (I wrote the homestead software for the Nebraska Dept of Revenue and had access to all the data). Around 2004 I noticed a large number of folks moving from California to Nebraska. (I read that there were similar migrations to Colorado, Kanasas and New Mexico as well.). During that period of time software programmers who were making $100K/year were either living out of their car or van, or were commuting from distant suburbs to LA every day. The reason? Houses were so expensive in LA, and California in general. Folks were selling their houses for $500K to $1.5M or higher, and then moving to Nebraska and buying a similar, or better, home for $200K to $500K. They banked the rest. All that migration quit when the housing bubble burst. So, back before 2007, in CA, a "starter" home could go for $1M.
                                Yup. And I'm moving to NC. 'Nuff said

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                                X