This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a confession to make...

I flirted with Mint 13 (KDE, LTS) for about 5 minutes, meh, nobody does Kubuntu like Kubuntu. I do have one tiny complaint, I downloaded the Kubuntu 12.04.2 LTS 'CD' and checked both third party and updates during the install, big mistake, the updates lagged the poop out of my machine, even after the reboot, the lag was terrible, so I re-installed, clicking only third party, then did the updates after the install and everything was fine. My guess is, it's the nVidia driver in conflict with the kernel being in 'limbo' during the updating, I am no expert of course, just a guess.
    Last edited by tek_heretik; Aug 09, 2013, 03:04 AM.

For this mortal sin you must seek absolution from Father Steve Riley!
    His usual prescription is to say three "Hail Kubuntu";s followed by the consumption of one can of Dr. Pepper, and a contribution to the Kubuntu dev team!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      ...followed by the consumption of one can of Dr. Pepper...
      Really, REALLY fast. And no belching for a full 2 minutes!
      I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

the consumption of one can of Dr. Pepper,
        I think that's 1 gin tonic !!

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

You guys are funny, thanks for the laugh!

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
            I flirted with Mint 13 (KDE, LTS) for about 5 minutes, meh, nobody does Kubuntu like Kubuntu. ...:
            I think you mean "nobody does KDE like Kubuntu". Anyway, I tried Mind KDE and failed the worse. Fedora was very good, but I couldn't depend on having a stable desktop. Kubuntu is the only one so far that just works. Good for me 1) because I'm use to how Debian related installs work, 2) I have Ubuntu already installed, and have no problem keeping both up to date. Ubuntu is Precise and I'm testing both Ubuntu and Kubuntu Saucy installs.
            Last edited by verndog; Aug 09, 2013, 10:35 PM. Reason: spelling
            Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
              I flirted with Mint 13 (KDE, LTS) for about 5 minutes, meh, nobody does Kubuntu like Kubuntu. I do have one tiny complaint, I downloaded the Kubuntu 12.04.2 LTS 'CD' and checked both third party and updates during the install, big mistake, the updates lagged the poop out of my machine, even after the reboot, the lag was terrible, so I re-installed, clicking only third party, then did the updates after the install and everything was fine. My guess is, it's the nVidia driver in conflict with the kernel being in 'limbo' during the updating, I am no expert of course, just a guess.
              My suggestion, and what I do (when I do it), is to install without selecting the third part and without selecting to update during install. This gives you a very vanilla install, which (most) always 'just works'. Then, afterwards, do your tweaking.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                My suggestion, and what I do (when I do it), is to install without selecting the third part and without selecting to update during install. This gives you a very vanilla install, which (most) always 'just works'. Then, afterwards, do your tweaking.
                There's a certain irony that an attempt to save time and effort by adding sources at install time can end up costing you time and effort instead.
                sigpic
                "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
                  There's a certain irony that an attempt to save time and effort by adding sources at install time can end up costing you time and effort instead.
                  A 'shortcut' doesn't always save you time.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
                    Kubuntu is the only so so far that just works. Good for me 1) because I'm use to how Debian related installs work
                    Ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      The restricted/third party apps, etc are not the problem, never is, it's the updates, I've never heard of a codec, etc, break an install. Yes, it is best to leave the updates until after it's on the HDD(s)/SDD(s). As a matter of fact, the 12.04 install disk did the same thing, I didn't expect 12.04.2 to do the same, hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
                        I think you mean "nobody does KDE like Kubuntu".
                        Well...no...not really, yes, Kubuntu is KDE laced on top of Ubuntu, but Mint (KDE version), Netrunner, etc are based on Kubuntu, they just have custom tweaks and scripts, etc, and oh, lots of self-serving branding, no shortage of that. If I really had the time and gumption, I could strip all the Kubuntu branding and make a Tekbuntu, lol.

Edit: I actually ran Netrunner for a short while a few years ago, the forum was terrible and the support was worse, but hey, the author has a distro, whereas I don't, hmmph, so ya have to give credit where it's due.
                        Last edited by tek_heretik; Aug 09, 2013, 08:31 PM.

Comment

For this mortal sin you must seek absolution from Father Steve Riley!
                          His usual prescription is to say three "Hail Kubuntu";s
                          Let us pray.

Hail Kubuntu, full of Plasma,
                          I seek Unity only with thee.
                          Sophisticated art thou amongst the dumbed-down,
                          and heat is the fruit of thy disk-muncher,
                          Akonadi.
                          Kooky kbuildsycoca4, master of caches,
                          beautify for us our desktops,
                          now and at the apt-get of our dist-upgrade.
                          Kmen.

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                          I think that's 1 gin tonic !!
                          And now, let us drink.

Comment

Our of interest, what is the difference between kubuntu and mint kde? Do the mint kde team compile their own kde packages, or is it really just kubuntu with different artwork and more non-free stuff installed by default?

Comment

Originally posted by bendy View Post
                              Our of interest, what is the difference between kubuntu and mint kde? Do the mint kde team compile their own kde packages, or is it really just kubuntu with different artwork and more non-free stuff installed by default?
                              You answered your own question.

Comment

Working...
                              X