X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nokia reportedly looking to sell Qt

From Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-are-laid-off/

Nokia is shutting down its Qt offices in Australia, laying off the team that was responsible for developing key parts of the open source development toolkit, including the QML user interface layout system.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

I hope the Linux Foundation buys it. And I hope such action will spur more developers to learn Qt and contribute to KDE. Just think:

* Kernel from Finland
    * Toolkit from Norway
    * DE from Germany

What's not to love about that?

Comment

Throw in some Swedish designers to work on look and feel, and we could have an unstoppable juggernaut on our hands!
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
        Throw in some Swedish designers to work on look and feel
        I'm imagining an IKEA theme for KWin. It comes disassembled, in a virtual cardboard box, and includes a hex wrench for assembly

Comment

Eeek... if it's based on IKEA, one essential component would be missing entirely, and two other parts will have unnecessary duplicates
          sigpic
          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            I'm imagining an IKEA theme for KWin. It comes disassembled, in a virtual cardboard box, and includes a hex wrench for assembly
            Ha - that's a good one...

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
              Eeek... if it's based on IKEA, one essential component would be missing entirely, and two other parts will have unnecessary duplicates
              Likely, but you could get meatballs and frozen yogurt with it for just a couple dollars!

Please Read Me

Comment

It would be nice if the man who supports Kubuntu would buy it.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Digia is the new owner:
                  http://www.digia.com/en/Home/Company...Qt-from-Nokia/

Comment

Hmm...

Comment

Wow.

Comment

It's all good now, Steve

http://www.digia.com/en/Home/Company...-Qt-from-Nokia
                        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                        K*Digest Blog
                        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

The link works now, 8 hours later.

That Digia now owns the whole thing is a good outcome, IMO. The KDE crew likes Digia.
                          http://dot.kde.org/2012/06/25/digia-...porting-member

So, all in all, Qt and KDE are now in a better position than ever before. I also expect to see commercials for both versions of Qt.

I used the commercial version of Qt ($1,500 purchase, $750/yr support) and it was well worth the money. The support (albeit from Trolltech) was phenomenal! IF I were to come out of retirement and resume programming I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to purchase the commercial version of Qt. (Note: the only difference between the commercial version and the GPL version is that
                          1) the commercial version came with Oracle and other major db support built in
                          2) a developer could release binaries only and didn't have to supply the source.

The GPL version would require the developer to code and compile an Oracle or other proprietary database solution, and one has an obligation to supply the source that generated the binary if a client asks for it. However, the db situation in GPL Qt is far from bleak. It comes with built in support for PostgreSQL which, IMO, is equal to and in some ways superior to Oracle.
                          Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 09, 2012, 09:37 AM.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            The link works now, 8 hours later.
                            Yup, the link worked when I posted it, but Digia servers were likely hammered to pulp when the news broke.

EDIT: picked this up on kde-devel mailing list:
                            http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=...199223645&q=p3
                            Last edited by kubicle; Aug 09, 2012, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Wow. Been bogged down with sooooo many software launches at work I missed this news! Hope this is a good thing for Qt.

Comment

Working...
                              X