Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USB Printer not working -- anyone else?

Thanks, k -- I never knew about escputil. I installed it and ran it, and it output a very normal-looking report, including the fact that one of my ink cartridges is low.

Thinking I might "learn by comparing", I booted sidux and ran the CUPS utility there. I noticed that the driver is reported to be "CUPS + Gutenprint 5.xxx". Hmmmmm -- that could be significant. For Kubuntu, it is just "CUPS".

Probably the best bet is to just wait a bit. There was one previous version of Kubuntu where they omitted the driver for my particular Epson model, and I had to go compile it myself. But this may be just a packaging thing related to the Beta release -- and I don't use that printer for weeks on end anyway. I'll be patient and see what happens with the updates between now and the 9.04 release. Thanks to all for the advice.

Comment

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3097746.0

Comment

Thanks!

I got all excited tonight when I ran updates and saw an update to the python-cups package. But, still no joy.

Comment

I upgraded to jaunty from intrepid yesterday, and I can no longer print to my hp5610 connected via usb. Every time I try to print everything I get "Communication error" messages and the printer status tool shows "printer may not be connected." I have tried reinstalling both the python-qt4-dbus package and the system-config-printer-kde packages to no avail. Also, today there were a bunch of cups updates, but that didn't fix the problem either.
          Funny thing is, the cups error logs don't show much, but the syslog file has the following:
          io/hpmud/musb.c 135: unable get_string_descriptor -1: Operation not permitted
          io/hpmud/musb.c 603: invalid product id string ret=-1
          io/hpmud/musb.c 1104: unable to open hp:/usb/Officejet_5600_series?serial=CN7BDF612304CY
          prnt/backend/hp.c 676: INFO: open device failed stat=12; will retry in 30 seconds...

Anyone else seeing similar behavior? With Intrepid I thought kubuntu finally got printing right! Now I'm in worse shape than ever.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

Noticed errors in the kern.log file also:
            hpijs[13466]: segfault at 25f ip 08069ff0 sp bfd3f4bc error 4 in hpijs[8048000+54000]

that looks more ominous than the other errors. a segfault in the hp driver, I think.

Comment

Me too, a Lexmark Z605 installed, the file is send, the icon in the dock appear, but the printer do not work.
              If you find a grammar error in my text, is because English is not my native language :-)

Comment

Working...
              X