This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB Printer not working -- anyone else?

I installed 9.04 Beta on Friday, and have it configured and running great, mostly. But it looks like there's a problem with printing. I used the CUPS browser utility to set up my Epson C84, which appears to be good to go, but the test page doesn't print. At first I got a "printer doesn't seem to be connected" error, but lsusb says otherwise. After messing about re-connecting and turning it off and on, I managed to generate a python crash -- didn't capture the exact message, but that's what it was. I would guess it's a general problem with USB printers -- can anyone else confirm it?

Re: USB Printer not working -- anyone else?

Just printed your post via USB to my Epson RX600 on JJ Beta (via UPGRADE from II + 4.2 ppa) without a problem.

Comment

I think I hate you, kjjjjshab!

(not really )

Comment

This is kinda weird -- from a VMWare Player Win XP VM running in 9.04, I can print a test page to the Epson C84, but from Kubuntu it won't print a CUPS test page. So, it's connected and it is seen via the USB interface to VMWare, but there's something hokey in the CUPS driver, I guess. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          ...Hmmmmmmmmmm.
          Must be a 64-bit issue. :P

My printer was setup versions ago, so just because it works now doesn't probably mean it necessarily would if I had installed from scratch today... I think.

Blindly blaming 64-bit for problems since 2004.

Comment

mmm... In looking to see how I setup my Samsun ML-1210 usb laser printer connected via my Linksys wireless print server. I noticed that systemsettings did not contain the printer utility, so I checked and during all the upgrades of Januty ALPH5 the system-config-printer-kde app got deleted. I reinstalled it and "all is well in the garden" again.

Glad I caught your post.

Anyway, I used the IPP protocol using the IP of my printer, 192.168.1.99, which is fixed. I set up my wireless router to start dispensing addresses with 192.168.1.100. That way, the printer IP doesn't vary with the number and sequence of logins to the wireless router and the printer configuration is being randomly broken.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
              ...I noticed that systemsettings did not contain the printer utility, so I checked and during all the upgrades of Januty ALPH5 the system-config-printer-kde app got deleted. I reinstalled it and "all is well in the garden" again...
              I have the system-config-printer-kde package installed, but I get an error from the System Settings interface... still can print though.

Comment

I just plugged my HP805C (usb) in, and it just worked. No problem at all.

Comment

The KDE 4 printer utility (which I trust far less than CUPS) gives this error upon printing a self-test page:

There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'client-error-document-format-not-supported'.
                  Then after a short while the "Printer 'Stylus_C84' may not be connected" message pops up. Well, such is life in Beta World, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
                    ...I noticed that systemsettings did not contain the printer utility, so I checked and during all the upgrades of Januty ALPH5 the system-config-printer-kde app got deleted. I reinstalled it and "all is well in the garden" again...
                    I have the system-config-printer-kde package installed, but I get an error from the System Settings interface... still can print though.

Just for grins, do a COMPLETE removal of system-config-printer-kde and then reinstall it. Can't hurt.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

If your error is this:
                      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e4/+bug/331192
                      Try reinstalling "python-qt4-dbus"

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                        If your error is this:
                        I tried reinstalling that but it really didn't help because the error msg was "system-config-printer-kde" and then it suggested that I use apt-get to install it. I used Synaptic and the Print Utility icon re-appeared on the KDE Admin application, and was functional.

Comment

Meh. Ran dist-upgrade, tried the CUPS test page, no go. Did
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get install --reinstall python-qt4-dbus
                          then tried the CUPS test page again -- nada. Rebooted the system, and tried again. Nada. I think I'm waiting ....

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                            If your error is this:
                            My problem has been solved with the reinstall of python-qt4-dbus. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                              ...Nada. I think I'm waiting ....
                              Does escputil tell you anything? You need the raw device name for anything interesting of course... mine is /dev/usb/lp0, so I run:

Code:
                              escputil -q -s -r /dev/usb/lp0
                              for status, ink levels, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X