This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to install additional plasmoids/widgets

First off, did you know that KDE4 users can plug into the vast database of OSX widgets / plasmoids (http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/)?

Now the details:

I finally got the hang of plasmoids thanks to Fintan's post: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3096596.0

Here are updated instructions:

To install from source you need
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libkonq5-dev libkonq5 cmake libplasma-dev kdelibs5-dev g++ kdebase-dev
    Download the source followed by
    Code:
    tar -xvf plasmoid.tar.gz
    cd plasmoid
    mkdir build
    cd build
    cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix` ..
    make
    sudo make install OR su -c "make install"
    If you find a *.deb simply install using
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i /path_to_package/name_of_package.deb
    If you installed from source you will need to open the widget mask by clicking on "add widget", go to the bottom, click on "install new widgets" from file and go through the motions. If you installed a *.deb this is not necessary.

Finally you will need to logout and login again and BINGO 8)
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Re: which widgets / plasmoids (incl. instructions)

Nice one.

Thank You, toad.

Comment

> A dozen cool plasmoids for your KDE desktop
      > Mother lode, KDE-Look.org > Plasmoids

PPA Plasmoids (.deb's, download and right click -> install with gdebi or add as repository)

> PPA / Personal Package Archives for Ubuntu
      Personal Package Archives (PPA) allow you to upload Ubuntu source packages to be built and published as an apt repository by Launchpad.
      >> PPA Plasmoids (Show PPAs matching: Plasmoid)

User Discretion Advised !

Earlier > Topic: How do I download / install widgets from the Internet?
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Great stuff, Rog and nice plug The following are all from you

sudo apt-get install plasmoid-stock-quote plasmoid-lancelot plasmoid-eyesaver plasmoid-cashew-off plasmoid-activewindowcontrol plasmoid-quicklauncher plasmoid-simplemonitor plasmoid-todo servicemenu-extractandcompress servicemenu-mediainfo servicemenu-rootactions
        Will come back with gripes/smiles...
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

My thousandth post - wheyhey!!!

Okay, I have managed to get OSX widgets on my desktop but the ones I tried didn't really work

@ Rog131
          stock-quote plasmoid - how do I add stocks? I put in a finance.google url but it didn't like it...
          lancelot - I don't know what you've done to it but it is a lot better than what it used to be under 8.04! Brilliant stuff.
          simple-monitor - really, really, really simple
          cashew/slug - I didn't get it at first, but now that silly thing has disappeared from my desktop, good stuff
          todo - recognised all my todos from Kontact straight away
          service menus - all there, very nice

Comment

Very nice stuff

Miss the multi row taskbar very much though
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Multi row taskbar? That sounds good!

I am waiting for peachdock to be functional - the kooldock successor/mac osx launcher copy

And I've finally worked out how to add a portfolio to the stock market watcher, simply add goog for google for example, the normal stock market blurb. Simple really

Comment

Sweeet, Rog, Thank You.
                If i wore a hat, i'd take it off to you.

Comment

stock-quote plasmoid - how do I add stocks? I put in a finance.google url but it didn't like it...
                  Stock-quote
                  http://www.kde-look.org/content/show...?content=90695

It seems to read from the http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv. Line 190 in the plasma_stock_quote.cpp. I don't know, if it is possible to change that without rewriting whole plasmoid.

Adding stocks: Right click Stock Quote > Stock Quote Settings > Add Stock Codes

> Stock Names and Codes (100 codes)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Multi row taskbar? That sounds good!
                    Yes, it was a good plasmoid

multirows task manager
                    http://www.kde-look.org/content/show...?content=83177

It is for the for svn KDE4.1++ (KDE 4.2)

For the KDE 4.1:
                    It's for KDE 4.2
                    by sars on: Aug 21 2008

The code seems to be for KDE 4.2, not 4.1
                    I have made a tar with a modified CMakeLists.txt, including the missing include files and with the tooltips removed (4.2 API was used)

http://www.kolumbus.fi/kare.sars/KDE/tasks2.tar.gz

I noticed that the number of rows configurations where not saved...

by kappa01 on: Aug 21 2008

-- Thanks for modifying.

I got it to compile and it also appears in the "Add Widgets" dialog (under 4.1), but it doesn't seem to behave any differently than the original Task Manager...just one row of tasks. How/Where does one configure the number of rows?

by sars on: Aug 21 2008

-- Yep, I had the same problem here too, on another machine.

I think the problem is in the .destop file.

I changed:
                    X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name=tasks

to
                    X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name=tasks2

and now it seems to work.
                    Well - it was working before there was changes/upgrades with the KDE 4.1.2. Now it is crashing the plasma (i have removed the plasmoid-multirow-taskmanager-tasks2-0.91~ppa2 from my PPA repository).

Earlier > Topic: Don't like kernel 2.6.27-5-generic

Attached Files

Comment

Oh, that thing. Yes.

I was under the impression that one could have a very slim bar at the bottom with the task manager full width and on top a bunch of others with time, systray, quicklaunchers and lancelot.

AFAIK this is not possible yet.

Also, has anybody managed to get peachdock or SigmaDock to work?

I've downloaded a bunch of *.skz plasmoids but don't know how to incorporate them....

Comment

Today I installed Avant window manager and awn manager for kde4 and it works out of the box.

I have been using it under K8.4 kde3 for about 6 months and love it. It has a bunch of plugin for it.

I got the file from add remove programs.

Noel Vh
                        ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

avant for kde? an apt-cache search avant comes back with info that it is a mac os x like panel for gnome and an install would be 65.2MB but I am doing it as we speak Curiosity killed the toad

Right, just got rid of it again - I just don't like gnome :P

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                            a mac os x like panel
                            If a panel which pops up with applications on it (what that sounds like ) is what you want, try kooldock in the repos, the icons get bigger as the pointer moves over them.

Personally, i use a transparent auto-hiding panel.

Comment

I haven't managed to get kooldock working on 8.10 yet And I haven't worked out how to change panel colour in KDE4.1

Comment

Working...
                              X