X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

howto install openoffice3

NOTE:
    Currently there are problems with the openoffice.org-kde package from the repos. You can either uninstall that package or install from the debs.

From the repos:

If you are an 8.10 user simply add these to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

followed by a

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    From debs:

1. Download from here[/i]: http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US - select your language under the LinuxDEB column.

2. untar the download wherever, for the sake of argument let's say directory /a/b/c/ - if you don't know how to untar, right click on the ooo3...tar.gz package and choose to "open with Arc". Now you can unpack using a GUI.

3. enter /a/b/c/OOO300_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9358/DEBS/ (for the English version) and type

a) for 32 bit architecture:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    b) for 64 bit architecture:

you can either try the 64 bit packages from here: and proceed as above or do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    followed by
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i *.deb
    4. Wait until it is installed. You will find it in /opt/openoffice.org3

5. Right click on your K menu button and select kmenueditor. Insert a new item under office, give it a nice openoffice icon and paste the following into the command line: /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin

6. Save your new menu configuration.

7. Start OpenOffice3 from your menu 8)

I like it although installing dictionaries has changed considerably - it never occured to me to look for an "extension manager" (to be found under tools). Great idea though.
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Re: howto install openoffice3

Thanks worked great, just one small issue you have dpgk and it should be dpkg.

Took me a minute to figure that one out.

Thanks it works great and now I can work on the M$ office 2007 files.

Noel Vh
    ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Thank you for pointing it out! Adjusted
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I installed it this morning and was going to post a how-to but toad was quicker

Notice how fast OOO 3.0 now starts up
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

It's a blinder, isn't it.

Now that I've managed to find the extension manager I am downloading until my flat rate burns! So far I am very impressed by the pdf editing plugin from Sun. Also tried the wiki plugin and tons of templates, the German dictionary - BTW, where is the British one and that is about it.

Top tips are welcome!

Comment

Just to add that if you install the desktop-integration deb as below( after step 3), it will populate the menus with all the correct icons etc.

a/b/c/OOO300_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9358/DEBS/desktop-integration/openoffice.org3.0-debian-menus_3.0-9354_all.deb

Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

whoa...

will not work with 64bit systems?
              received similar errors when attempting to install all the parts with the dpkg command.
              dpkg: error processing ooobasis3.0-base_3.0.0-9_i386.deb (--install):
              package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)

any ideas?

God Bless
              Doug
              Malachi 3:10 ESV <br />...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...<br /><br />Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

Comment

@ sjhstorm

Didn't work for me, conflicting packages error - didn't therefore include it. Any more experiences/explanations anyone?

@ revdjenk
                Wouldn't know, haven't got anything as lightning fast as that

Comment

Originally posted by revdjenk
                  whoa...

received similar errors when attempting to install all the parts with the dpkg command.
                  dpkg: error processing ooobasis3.0-base_3.0.0-9_i386.deb (--install):
                  package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)

any ideas?

God Bless
                  Doug
                  Code:
                  sudo dpkg -i --force-all *.deb
                  I do not use 64 bit kubuntu , but the above will force the installation for you. You will need 32 bit libraries but you will most likely have them if you have flash installed.
                  Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

Originally posted by revdjenk

Yeah it will.

Code:
                    sudo apt-get update
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
                    then
                    Code:
                    sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i *.deb
                    in the directory where you have the unpacked OOO debs.

Comment

Originally posted by toad

@ revdjenk
                      Wouldn't know, haven't got anything as lightning fast as that
                      No, WONDER you have that nick!

Thanks sjhstorm and dibl, I did already have the 32 libs installed and the force-archetechture command worked for me...

...and WOW! yes, speed increase and the extra flexibility is very obvious and welcome!

Thanks and God Bless
                      Doug
                      Malachi 3:10 ESV <br />...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...<br /><br />Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

Comment

I am loving this but:

I just installed the german templatepack 2 but it uses euro as default. I need swiss francs.

When trying to edit the calc templates for billing, etc I get a "cannot edit locked cells" message.

I forgot how to do this so, any one know how to get around this?
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

No help, Fintan -- but here's my own little whine ...

I like to put a shortcut to the spreadsheet on my panel, for quick access. For the 2.4 version, you can just right-click on the spreadsheet in the KDE4 menu, and tell it to "Add To Panel".

Does anyone see a way to do this with 3.0?

Comment

Try this:
                            kmenueditor->new item->OpenOffice Calc->path:/opt/openoffice.org3/program/scalc->icon->discription->save

Now you can do the "add to panel" bit
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

By golly, it worked perfectly!

Fintan, I'm awarding you the "KDE4 Tip O'The Day" award! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X