This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: howto install openoffice3

GTK styles and fonts? That may be the cause - try the default KDE or QT.
    The version we installed here is not the *ubuntu version so it will not always play the way we want.

Great for testing, and on my intrepid it looks fine. HH treats the whole font issue differently.

Don't ask why, I do not know but am sure that ooo3.0 will appear it the repos soon
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I was able to install desktop-integration, and OOo3 does change its fonts to the selected system font for me. I am using 8.10 32bit.

I'm not sure if it makes a great difference but I installed the debs with dpkg all accept the desktop-integration deb, for which I used gdebi to install. I believe (although I could be wrong) that gdebi has better handling of dependencies.
      Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

@Tecumseh: thanx for that link.

I am happy that the complete 64bit bit install (including the desktop-integration), got OOo3 working perfectly first go, without any need to edit the soffice script
        Confucius says: If you enjoy your work, then you never have to work another day in your life.

Comment

The last few days I've tried the install several times and with different downloads but starting up a text, spreadsheet or presentation always ends in an error:
          Code:
          Due to an unexpected error, OpenOffice.org crashed. All files you were working on will now be saved. The next time OpenOffice is launched, your files will be recovered automatically.
          Next I get a window with the name of the file I tried to open or create:
          Code:
          The following files will be recovered:
          But even the recovery ends in a crash.

I've tried to first purge OO2.4, I've tried reinstalling sun-java6-jre but OO3.0 just won't play nice.

The Drawing and Formula option are willing to start a new document, the Database complains about a wrong or corrupted JRE.

What could I look at next?

Comment

If the recovery ends in a crash you need to stop the recovery by pressing cancel instead of OK
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I'm having an annoying issue. I can't use Open Office 3.0. Every time I start it up, the registration wizard comes up, despite the fact that I've completed it seven times. In fact, it's now down to 3 steps. When I click 'finish' to register, nothing happens. Then I start the program again...and it goes to the registration wizard...

And I've tried the "register later" and the "no register" options as well. Same results. And this is a 32-bit install.

Also, running in terminal results in the following error:
              QSettings: failed to open file '/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc' (On KDE3.5.9)

Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Comment

Also, running in terminal results in the following error:
                QSettings: failed to open file '/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc'

Info only:

Every single program started from the command line on my 8.04 with KDE4 install throws that up.
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I must say that this is one of the easiest and most successful how to guides I have done.

So thanks !

Two yes or no type questions first

1 Should I be purging the old open office (2.4) yet?

2 Will I be able to have a direct launch for each programme in k menu ie one for word/data/spread etc? Or should I wait til the final version?

Once again thanks

Andy
                  Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Well, it was so easy in the first place, why make it complicated ?

But to your questions:

Keep 2.4 by all means - as you no doubt have noted, OOo3 installs itself into opt, so the two versions can exist peacefully side by side.

No, you launch OOo3 itself - it then asks you what you want to do, open a file, template, write something, spreadsheet, database 8), etc.

Comment

@sjilstrom
                      I was able to install desktop-integration, and OOo3 does change its fonts to the selected system font for me. I am using 8.10 32bit.
                      I tried that as well on my Intrebid beta and got this:
                      Error: confilcts with openoffice-or-core
                      I presume it doesn't like the ooo2.4 install.
                      But I will keep that around for now.

@andybleaden
                      Follow the same tip I gave dible above.
                      Quote:
                      Try this:
                      kmenueditor->new item->OpenOffice Calc->path:/opt/openoffice.org3/program/scalc->icon->discription->save
                      you can apply this to write, impress,draw, etc respectively.

I do agree with toad though
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

thanks for the pair of you for getting back so quick..might as well leave it then...I guess though I may change it later. I rarely use the other parts of open office save for writing so the thought of one extra click per day was too much for my fingers!!!! :P

I will also leave 2.4 lying around for a while

Not messed around with kmenu editor before ...that was fun....I am off to make a mess...er develop my menu!
                        Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

oh yeh...can I get rid of the folder now in my home directory ( ie the one with all the deb files in or does that stay there..or do I make it hidden?

Comment

You are welcome.

oh yeh...can I get rid of the folder now in my home directory ( ie the one with all the deb files in or does that stay there..or do I make it hidden?
                            If you don't need it again you can safely remove it.
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                              No help, Fintan -- but here's my own little whine ...

I like to put a shortcut to the spreadsheet on my panel, for quick access. For the 2.4 version, you can just right-click on the spreadsheet in the KDE4 menu, and tell it to "Add To Panel".

Does anyone see a way to do this with 3.0?
                              Does not the simple drag and drop work for you?

Comment

Does not the simple drag and drop work for you?
                                Not if you just want ooo calc to open
                                4 GB Ram
                                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                                X