X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No Sound with fresh install on my inspiron 1721

"added all the stuff you had after "generic"

Yeah, that would cause a freeze. My example is from my menu.lst, and wouldn't work in yours, or anyone elses! If adding acpi=off didn't work, then it eliminates that as a possible fix.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      "added all the stuff you had after "generic"

Yeah, that would cause a freeze. My example is from my menu.lst, and wouldn't work in yours, or anyone elses! If adding acpi=off didn't work, then it eliminates that as a possible fix.
      Yeah, I added it both ways. One instead of "quite splash" after "ro", and then the second time I copied the whole line from your text. Both caused a crash. I figured you meant to replace "quiet splash" but I decided to try both ways to be sure. I saved a backup before beginning anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamscaper
        I saved a backup before beginning anyway.
        So, you know what you're doing.

Have you tried going through the Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide v0.5e

Comment

I saved a backup before beginning anyway.
          So, you know what you're doing.

Have you tried going through the Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide v0.5e
          I went through a different one. I just tried this one. It basically told me to compile my own driver. That is a bit beyond me.

I know of at least one other person that got this machine to run with linux, although it was not with this distro. Maybe there is an equivalent to what he did in this distro...

http://pclinuxoshwdb.com/index.php?o...=887&Itemid=63

I actually tried that distro but had graphics card problems as vesa was the only driver that it would give me that worked and it looked horrible using that and didn't fit my screen so I just went on to the next distro. Also, I am dual booting with vista and the sound works fine there in case you were wondering.

Comment

Also, I am dual booting with vista and the sound works fine there in case you were wondering.
            Sound never is a problem in Windoze. :P Of course, having working sound in Linux is 'nice' to have, and, unless you listen to music, play DVDs, or are a gamer, all of which require working sound, not having it isn't a show stopper. Having full functional video is much more important, and that yours is working 'out of the box' as well as your 'nic card, I'd say you are in good shape.

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately sound is a pretty big deal to me since I listen to a lot of music and internet radio shows. I can just switch to Winblows to do that, but that is not the purpose I am installing linux for. I dislike windows, find it highly unstable, don't like being spied on, and would eventually like to switch entirely over to linux or bsd. I also download a lot of torrents, and every time I switch OS or reboot it kills my torrent download. So optimally I would like to get everything working here, find alternatives to the programs I use in winblows, and delete my whole vista partition. After I get all my hardware working my next challenge will be finding a replacement for quickbooks that can import my company file. If I can do those two things I will be exclusively linux.

I have tried linux several times over the past 5 years and each time I ended up going back to windows. But I DID notice that it is better every time as well.

I would just move to another distro to get the sound fixed, but as I stated previously it didn't work with any other distro I tried so I doubt it will work with any new one I install either, and I am likely to have other conflicts. So I am going to keep trying with this one since I like KDE and ubuntu anyway. KDE has the best programs, and ubuntu is pretty user friendly...

Comment

A solution exists for getting your sound working. Finding it ....

One could of course, consider purchasing a 'Linux certified' PC, of which there a plenty out there. Dell offers PCs with Ubuntu as the installed OS. There are other sites that offer PCs that are certified to work (with all the onboard hardware) with Linux.

Comment

A solution exists for getting your sound working. Finding it ....

One could of course, consider purchasing a 'Linux certified' PC, of which there a plenty out there. Dell offers PCs with Ubuntu as the installed OS. There are other sites that offer PCs that are certified to work (with all the onboard hardware) with Linux.
                  Yeah, I wish I could afford that. I only have this pc because it was a killer deal on craigslist. I knew that I wanted to install linux (especially since it came w/ vista, the worst M$ system to date) but I was somewhat clueless as to whether or not the hardware would cooperate. Now I know at least avoid broadcom and ati sb600. I would never have thought to check the sound card before. Every time I installed linux before on another pc the sound was the easy part. Maybe I should see if there is an open pci slot for a sound card and just buy a new one. That might be a cheap alternative to buying a whole new machine. I have never tinkered with a notebook though. I have built plenty of desktops however...

Comment

Might have some help for you. A google search on "ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia" led me to some posts (older) over on UbuntuForums. Specifically, Gutsy + SBx00 Azalia = No Sound which leads to Gutsy Intel HD Audio Controller and on that page, scroll down to Method G: linux-backports-modules for instructions.

Comment

Might have some help for you. A google search on "ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia" led me to some posts (older) over on UbuntuForums. Specifically, Gutsy + SBx00 Azalia = No Sound which leads to Gutsy Intel HD Audio Controller and on that page, scroll down to Method G: linux-backports-modules for instructions.
                      Okay, trying that right now. Also, I was going through the alsa troubleshooting page and it told me to check proc/asound/cards to make sure mine was number zero. Well every folder and every document in conf/asound all across the board is completely empty. Could that be my problem? I should also mention, following one of those troubleshooting guide's advice I purged alsa and reinstalled it. So that might also be why everything is empty...

Comment

okay, here is what I got from trying method G:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
                        E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
                        Reading package lists... Done
                        Building dependency tree
                        Reading state information... Done
                        Initializing package states... Done
                        Building tag database... Done
                        E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
                        E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Still no sound.

Comment

To fix Adept errors:
                          Open a console and type:
                          Code:
                          sudo dpkg --configure -a
                          should fix it, else continue with
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get clean
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get update
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get install
                          The errors you posted are adept errors, and the above will ensure that they are fixed. Once done, you may want to repeat the procedures for method G.

Comment

I ended up just using the GUI adept and getting the packages that way. Just to make sure I got the right ones though I did it with the konsole too and got this message:

Building dependency tree
                            Writing extended state information... Done
                            Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "linux-backports-modules-generic"
                            Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "linux-backports-modules-generic"
                            The following packages have been automatically kept back:
                            libqt4-assistant libqt4-dbus libqt4-designer libqt4-help libqt4-network
                            libqt4-opengl libqt4-script libqt4-sql libqt4-svg libqt4-test
                            libqt4-webkit libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns libqtcore4 libqtgui4
                            The following packages have been kept back:
                            libqt4-core libqt4-gui xserver-xorg-video-intel
                            0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 18 not upgraded.
                            Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
                            Writing extended state information... Done
                            Building dependency tree
                            Reading extended state information

My sound still does not work.

Comment

Retry using linux-backports-modules-x.x.xx-xx-generic where x.x.xx-xx is your kernel number (open a console and type uname -r to find out)

Comment

Retry using linux-backports-modules-x.x.xx-xx-generic where x.x.xx-xx is your kernel number (open a console and type uname -r to find out)
                                This is what I got: linux-backports-modules-2.6.24-19-generic is already the newest version.
                                0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 18 not upgraded.

Needless to say, still no sound...

Comment

Working...
                                X