This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sound with fresh install on my inspiron 1721

Everything else has worked pretty well. I have gone through just about every other avenue for fixing the problem i.e. googling it and searching the forums. Nothing has worked. Here is a list of my hardware:

17" widescreen monitor, 120 Gb hard drive, CD/DVD burner, ATI Radeon X1200 series video (128mb shared), 2 Gb ram, SB600 ATI audio card, AMD Turion64 X2 CPU,Broadcom BCM2405 Bluetooth, Broadcom 1390 mini-PCI wireless card, Broadcom ethernet, ‎Ricoh ‎SD Card reader, OmniVision Technologies, Inc. -2640-07.05.16.3 Integrated Webcam.

Here is the lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 Host Bridge
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (Internal gfx)
    00:05.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (PCI Express Port 1)
    00:07.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (PCI Express Port 3)
    00:12.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA
    00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI0)
    00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI1)
    00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI2)
    00:13.3 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI3)
    00:13.4 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI4)
    00:13.5 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB Controller (EHCI)
    00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 14)
    00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 IDE
    00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 PCI to LPC Bridge
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
    03:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
    03:01.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
    03:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
    03:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 12)
    0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)

I already tried all these things listed in this linux questions page with no success: http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...dware_debuging

If anyone has any idea on how to correct this, your advice would be much appreciated! I am not a total noob, but I am a novice user with linux, so step by step instructions definitely help...

Re: No Sound with fresh install on my inspiron 1721

KDE 3.5.9, remix (KDE 4.0.x), or KDE 4.1.00?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      KDE 3.5.9, remix (KDE 4.0.x), or KDE 4.1.00?
      Not really sure about that I am thinking the latest one though since I just downloaded and installed 8.04 yesterday. So whatever comes with the most recent version for download of 8.04, that is what I have. I have tried a couple other distros and had the same problem if that helps at all. This one got my broadcom 1390 wireless card working right off the bat though (which is nothing short of a miracle), and the graphics card was detected no problem so major score on that!

Comment

From any open GUI application - Konqueror - click on Help > About KDE and you'll know for sure.

Comment

From any open GUI application - Konqueror - click on Help > About KDE and you'll know for sure.
          Okay, it says 3.5.9 is the version. I am surprised though since the first thing I did was get all the available updates from the repositories...

Comment

Originally posted by dreamscaper
            Okay, it says 3.5.9 is the version. I am surprised though since the first thing I did was get all the available updates from the repositories...
            Unless you follow these instructions to upgrade to KDE 4.1.00, you will remain with KDE 3.5.9.

So sound has been an issue with your PC on other Linux distros?

Comment

Unless you follow these instructions to upgrade to KDE 4.1.00, you will remain with KDE 3.5.9.

So sound has been an issue with your PC on other Linux distros?
              Yes, not one of them Debian, PC-Linux OS or even PC-BSD gave me sound. I didn't really try to correct it either though since there were too many other problems to continue. This computer is evidently not the greatest for running unix based operating systems. I was very pleasantly surprised that I did not have to use ndiswrapper and the proprietary windows driver to get my Broadcom 1390 wireless card running though. I wonder what advantage Ubuntu has to make that happen. Maybe the driver is already on here with ndis. I dunno.

I will go ahead and upgrade and see if that helps.

Comment

Before upgrading, have you attempted any of the kernel (grub menu) options? On my laptop (Toshiba Satellite) I had to add acpi=off to get my sound working.

Comment

Before upgrading, have you attempted any of the kernel (grub menu) options? On my laptop (Toshiba Satellite) I had to add acpi=off to get my sound working.
                  No, I have not tried that yet. I saw in another thread to try an earlier kernel, but I did not see an option for that in grub. Also, I noticed that the last guy that posted who had a problem with the newer kernel nixing his sound reported an error in his lshw that I did not show on mine. That probably doesn't mean anything though. I will restart and try that really quick.

Comment

By chance, have you tried plugging in headphones to your laptop? Do they work??

Comment

I have not tried headphones, and unfortunately I do not have any readily available. I did just try acpi=off though, and it did not recognize that as a valid entry. When I pressed tab to get a list of options it did not appear there either. I will look briefly for a pair of headphones, but unfortunately I don't think I have any. I never use them...

Comment

The kernel line in menu.lst would look like this:
                        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=UUID=7fdf0d2b-dd11-441c-a577-4936232049f2 ro acpi=off
                        It goes at the end of the kernel line.

Comment

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=UUID=7fdf0d2b-dd11-441c-a577-4936232049f2 ro acpi=off
                          Okay, how do I get to menu.lst to modify it?

Comment

Okay, I tried editing menu.lst but I am having trouble with permissions. This is where I would just log in as root in other distros and do it, but you can't do that in this one. The sudo thing just doesn't seem to be working all that great for this particular thing since I am not that good with the konsole yet. I have the page open, but I don't know how to get the permissions to modify it. Nor do I know how to edit it in the konsole so I have somewhat of a quandry...

Thanks for your help! I am going to bed and will pick up where I left off tomorrow morning.

Comment

Okay, I figured out how to enter it in under root. I tried just putting acpi=off there and that caused it to freeze during startup. I then added all that stuff you had after "generic" and that caused it to freeze upon booting as well.

Still no headphones, but I can run to the local walgreens and get some if necessary.

Comment

Working...
                              X