This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiz Fusion

I have compiz fusion installed and runnign on my 7600GS with Kubuntu Gutsy RC. I do not have much experiance with KDE. First of all what is the ebst way to autostart compiz fusion at login?

Re: Compiz Fusion

During the installation of compiz-fuzion I wondered the same. BUT somehow or other it just starts,albeit at a strange time in the chain of events,after the desktop has installed and stabilized.

Still scratching my brain case over this one!

If the 'cube' is used on a wide screen monitor is it stiill a 'cube'?

Would be cool if the (wide) screen could split into 2 (vertically) before rotating--why stop at 2 why not 4 or 8 even??

eddie

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47
      I have compiz fusion installed and runnign on my 7600GS with Kubuntu Gutsy RC. I do not have much experiance with KDE. First of all what is the ebst way to autostart compiz fusion at login?
      Simply make a compiz.desktop file in .kde/Autostart and fill it like this (my one is for fusion-icon, just edit it to compiz --replace &:
      Code:
      kachna@kachna-desktop:~$ cat ~/.kde/Autostart/fusion-icon.desktop
      [Desktop Entry]
      Encoding=UTF-8
      Exec=fusion-icon
      Type=Application
      Name=fusion-icon
      Comment=Icon for Compiz settings

Comment

Actually, it's even easier than that, according to my experimental results. Assuming a fully functional display driver with glx enabled:

1. Open Konsole and
        Code:
        compiz
        2. Verify it's running -- turn the cube or whatever.

3. Shutdown/reboot

VOILA!

Comment

dibl, or anyone,
          can you give me just as easy way to install compiz-fusion, i just finished installing gutsy 64-bit?

Comment

Open Adept, search for "compiz" and install it. There you go.

You'll probably want a few other packages, though, like compiz-kde or emerald. Maybe some plugins.
            For external use only.

Comment

easy enough.
              there is also a compiz configuror in add/remove programs, is that for kde, or what do i use to manage it all?

Comment

Originally posted by MrDuck
                Originally posted by bwat47
                Simply make a compiz.desktop file in .kde/Autostart and fill it like this (my one is for fusion-icon, just edit it to compiz --replace &:
                Code:
                kachna@kachna-desktop:~$ cat ~/.kde/Autostart/fusion-icon.desktop
                [Desktop Entry]
                Encoding=UTF-8
                Exec=fusion-icon
                Type=Application
                Name=fusion-icon
                Comment=Icon for Compiz settings
                Hi all, this is interesting, I never seemed to be able to get the icon working. Where do you get it?

Compiz really works, it installs and somehow starts by itself, however, I would appreciate some way of turning it off, how do I do that now?

thank you

Comment

Sorry to be slow responding guys -- OK, here is the list of compiz package that I have installed:

compiz-core
                  compiz-fusion-plugins-main
                  compiz-kde
                  compiz-plugins
                  compizconfig-settings-manager
                  emerald

Now, it's very interesting that the package "compiz" is showing in Adept as "not installed". I am 100.00% confident that I originally installed the package "compiz" along with these other guys, but now it is mysteriously "not installed" (but compiz works marvelously). I'm thinking maybe it just supports the initial scanning and installation, but not the ongoing functionality. I didn't intentionally remove it, so the system did, somehow.

So, the configuration of it is done with a new item under the KMenu called "Settings" -- that is where "Advanced Desktop Effects" as well as "Emerald Theme Manager" end up. I'm sure it's the package "compizconfig-settings-manager" that does that for you.

The 3-step procedure I posted above is what I've used each time I installed it, to make it auto-start. Note that I never said "close the console" -- you just leave it open with compiz running, and do a shutdown-reboot. When it restarts, compiz will start automatically, and there will be an empty open console window to close.

@jamk, I dunno how to turn it off, yet. I guess if I went into the settings manager and started un-"x"ing things, eventually there would be nothing left to run. :P

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply, I guess starting with a new session might disable compiz, but I would like to have something like the icon (I used to have the beryl icon, when I was using beryl and it made it quite easy to turn the effects on/off).

Also, does anyone have trouble with the windows decorations? They seem to be unstable, crashed couple of times. I am not using emerald, just he kde window decorator.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by jamlc
                      Hi, thanks for the reply, I guess starting with a new session might disable compiz, but I would like to have something like the icon (I used to have the beryl icon, when I was using beryl and it made it quite easy to turn the effects on/off).

Also, does anyone have trouble with the windows decorations? They seem to be unstable, crashed couple of times. I am not using emerald, just he kde window decorator.

Thank you
                      http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/CompizFusionIcon?highlight=%28icon%29
                      No crashes here,using emerald, but I've troubles like this: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087580.0

Comment

Yeah, I miss that good old Beryl icon too!

On the other hand, there are about a zillion more settings choices in this compiz settings manager (some of which actually work ...).

I wasn't sold on compiz until about a week ago when I finally got the mouse-wheel spin thing working (or maybe THEY got it working -- there were updates). With that, I'm ready to concede that it's "as good as Beryl" -- at least on my rig.

Comment

Well, how do you get the icon on kubuntu? Running fusion-icon does nothing.

Another thing I just remembered, do you guys have your systray icons wandering from the systray? They sometimes open each in its own little tiny window.

Comment

Another thing I just remembered, do you guys have your systray icons wandering from the systray? They sometimes open each in its own little tiny window.
                            I have yet to discover an icon for compiz, anywhere. In the "General" options in the Settings Manager, there is an item called "Default Icon", and in the little window that looks like a "picklist", there appears the word "icon", and nothing else is available, and I don't see a way to browse to anything else. So I dunno, maybe the devs just haven't gotten that far yet ....

Comment

Mmm i downloaded kubuntu package for fusion-icon,but can't remember where from :/

About these systray icons,same here,sometimes they get to their place later...sometimes :/

Comment

Working...
                              X