Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Live CD loaded-asks for commands-what do I do?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live CD loaded-asks for commands-what do I do?

I am a total beginner, but I got the Kubuntu Live CD and loaded it to my Dell Optiplex P4 2000 because I wrecked Windows 2000. My computer was slowing down, and I tried using a Windows Cleaner Program and wiped out my Windows Startup files, I don't have the Windows 2000 CD, and my emergency startup disc would not work..

So now I have loaded the Kubuntu Live CD and arrived at a screen which reports everything (ok) (except one hardware item). There is then the usual data information, no warrenty statement, and the bottom of the screen reads:

To run a command as administrator (user "root") use "sudo <command>" see "man sudo_root" for details.

ubunto@ubunto:`$

WHAT DO I DO, now?

Re: Live CD loaded-asks for commands-what do I do?

For some reason the CD isn't booting into the multiuser environment. Did you download the correct CD, (ie: not the alternative) and check the CD wasn't faulty after you burned it? If you did, then try typing

startx

and post up any messages you get.

D1SxEyes

Comment

I entered startx, and it said Continuing to Load.(something)...then immediately started to load so quickly, that I didn't get it read. A small x appeared on the screen. Then a blue screen appeared. And lastly, a box reading:

Sound Server Fatal Error
      CPU Overload
      Abort ? OK

I waited a few minutes, then it started running again, then the same message reappeared. I clicked ok, and it is continuing running with blue screen and a white band at bottom. Now filling icons, but one says:

Error KDE Panel --then it disappeared. And it keeps on running (for several hours), then quits running, the monitor shuts off. Power light stays on and will not turn off.

Is it time to try another install?

Comment

How much RAM do you have?
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I should have 256MB. It is a Dell GX260 P4 2GHZ with a 40Gb harddrive.

Comment

Originally posted by D1SxEyes
            For some reason the CD isn't booting into the multiuser environment. Did you download the correct CD, (ie: not the alternative) and check the CD wasn't faulty after you burned it? If you did, then try typing

startx

and post up any messages you get.

D1SxEyes
            I reran the Live CD, It is Kubuntu CD I got by mail, and have these log messages:

*loading hardware drivers (FAIL)

*Starting PCMCIA services...
            PCMCIA NOT PRESENT
            *loading manual drivers (ok)
            (4297245,452000) hw_random: RNG not detected

*mount ifunction not implemented

Starting Power Nowd
            *CPU frequency scaling not supported

Starting k display manager: Kdm
            *running local boot scripts ( etc/re/local) (ok)
            last login.....etc, etc,,,,,

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Comment

:S Those are some pretty big errors. I can't think what would be causing it, but yeah, it looks nasty. Stick around, see if someone else can help you. Alternatively, try the (somewhat bigger) Ubuntu forums, because the problem you're having isn't Kubuntu specific.

D1SxEyes

Comment

Well, I have good news and bad news. I persisted with loading Kobuntu and re-ran the disc. Each time it hit an error, it asked , and I chose "ignore", and it would run until it locked up. I re-ran eacch time, 5 (or 6) times, and finally it completely loaded. I even connected to the internet. There that is the end of the good news.

I had to reboot, and I got startup errors. It looks like I removed some bios files when I removed Windows.

It says: Cannot locate Vnetbios.vdx

Cannot locate RASAP132.DLL

HIMEM.SYS corrupted

Error in CONFIG>SYS on line 1

Could be more.

The problem is that I cannot shut my computer off without losing access to my new Linux software, except by running setup using the Kubuntu CD.

Anyone know if there is a way to fix my bios? I have a second computer running Win98, and both are attached to a Linksys router.

Ed

Comment

Those aren't Linux errors, they're Windows ones... it looks like you're trying to boot Windows, and failing miserably. Make sure you're booting Linux.

D1SxEyes

Comment

That first one is a BIOS error. Without some direction the start of the program, whether it is Windows or Linux, it cannot be found, so it then the default comes up to show the options of F2 Setup or F12 Boot Menu. Boot Menu will do nothing to start a program.

Because of a damaged BIOS the computer cannot find the hard disk drives, so it tells me to run F2 the Setup utility. That means it starts out reinstalling Linux each time I shut the computer off, and start it again. It starts loading, then changes to "Restoring Secession", so maybe it will preserve itself.

The other errors are Commandcom and Sysini files that would direct startup in Windows. The damaged BIOS cannot find their Linux equivalent that would Start Linux running normally.

Comment

In short, it is POSSIBLE to fix a damaged BIOS. However, it's a very risky procedure, and I'd advise that you ensure that it is in fact your BIOS that's corrupt first. Then, you need to do what's known as flashing your BIOS. Google knows how. Make sure you do it with a UPS, and then take the steps Google recommends for your motherboard. Don't even think of flashing it with a "similar" BIOS update unless you know exactly what you're doing.

DISCLAIMER:

If you turn your PC into a paperweight, I absolve myself of all responsibility, this is entirely your decision. A botched BIOS upgrade will almost certainly mean you need to buy a new motherboard, for which I am not liable.

That said, good luck

D1SxEyes

Comment

Working...
                      X