X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I run downloads?

I've downloaded a few programs and they are sitting on my desktop
    with names that end in "name-1.2.tar.gz.

So how do I get those programs to install in the proper places?

Thanks, Bob

Re: How do I run downloads?

Read this:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Well, I tried everything listed on that link, but the programs still don't load.

Bob

Comment

If there's a binary inside the archive then you can select it in konqueror and hit CTRL+e to execute it or open a konsole (F4) and type ./filename and enter. The file has to be executable so you might have to set that, check the properties or in the konsole do a 'chmod +x filename. This is only for binary installer files like googleearth or codeweavers for example (some that are this way).

If it's source you'll need to follow the build instructions. You'll at the least need to install build-essentials and then in the base directory of the source do a:
        ./configure
        make
        sudo make install
        and if all of that works then your application is installed but usually there's more too it and this really is most likely beyond what you're looking for. It also installs stuff outside the package manager so it can lead to conflicts or errors with normally installed applications.

Comment

Working...
        X