X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot find x server

Hi,

I had Kubuntu installed on my computer recently and it was up and running perfectly fine, until one time it was booting and came up with a black screen with the kubuntu logo and a dark blue bar in the centre. Normally then the login window would load, but now nothing happens, until i press the switch to turn it off. I tried logging in the safe mode and putting in "startkde" but it comes up with "cannot find x server". My computer's running Windows XP and Kubuntu OS on partitioned hard drives, and it's a Dell, 1.73GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
    J

Re: cannot find x server

Knowing nothing whatever about your system, I would recommend that you get to a command line/konsole, and run the following routine:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

This is a brainless text script that will force you to configure stuff that already works, like your keyboard and mouse, but toward the end it will invite you to specify your video card (which sounds like the problem) and your monitor refresh and resolution capabilities.

If you happen to have an ATI card, my experience was that selecting "ATI" kept my system broken. If that happens to you, run the routine again but pick "VESA" as your display type.

Good luck with it! :P

Comment

Working...
    X