This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will three hard drives work ?

I have never heard of it before but what do I know ? I have two hard drives on my computer, but does anyone know is it possible for me to add a third.

Here are my computer spec's:

3.2 GHz Intel Celeron D Processor
    MB: PC CHIPS P13G+ SERIAL#:S15106E63002928 (V1.0) 15-S15-010010 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 865G Micro ATX Intel
    BIOS: Phoenx Awards V6 00PG 03/28/06
    CHIPSET:Intel 865G Northbridge
    Intel I/O Controller Hub 5 (ICH5)
    533MHz FSB, 512MB DDR 400 RAM (supports DDR266,DDR333,DDR400 DIMM modules) 184-pin
    2 available SATA slots (internal)
    2 UltraDMA IDE slots

Re: Will three hard drives work ?

Yes.

If have 2 hard drives and 2 DVD/CD's already installed you will need a add on controller card - be sure to make sure the card has Linux drivers! If you have to go this route the card will come with instructions on how to jumper your new drive.

You'll need to open the case. The usual configuration from the factory is the 2 hard drives you have will be on the same cable plugging into one slot on the mother board. A CD/DVD will be on another cable plugged into the other controller on the mother board.

You may need to buy a cable with 2 plug ins.

Remove the CD. On the back there will be a set of pins - There will be a diagram or label.

Set the jumpers for this drive to slave.

Look at the back of the new hard drive and set the jumpers to master.

Install the drives and hook up the cable.

On a newer mother board like you have you shouldn't have to enter the BIOS - it should autodetect the drive.

Partition and format the drive.

An observation. This drive will run slower because it shares a line with a DVD. Don't put speed time games on it.

Comment

podunk, thank you so much for your prompt, informative reply....that is just what I needed.

And believe it or not I understand all of your tips, comments and opinions.

Thanks again,
      obnascar

Comment

If you already have two hard drives and two cd/dvd drives you might need a controller card. See this site for some problems before you try.

http://www.mohawksoft.org/?q=node/26

I used a Promise ide controller card and it prevented me from booting into XP when I connected the third drive. Kubuntu was never affected.
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Working...
        X