This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not able to log in Kubuntu!

I got windows XP home edition and Kubuntu installed on my computer a few days ago and they both perfectly.

But I cannot log in the Kubuntu today even though I have my user name and password correct. The screen just keep showing the same interface for usersname and password.

What is gone wrong?? Is Kubuntu that dodgy??

Re: Not able to log in Kubuntu!

Are you able to log in to a text console?

Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch to the text console, enter your username then your password, then see what it says. Ctrl-Alt-F7 to switch back to the graphical environment.

Also, when trying to log in, does the screen go black, and if a CRT (old-style, big, not flat panel) monitor makes resolution switching noises?
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

the screen goes black, then a watch icon comes out, then it goes back to the screen of username and password.

i tried to log in with the text console, but it comes out this in the end after a bunch of text -

lauthiamkok@lauthiamkok:~$

i have no idea what to type in next anymore becos whatever i type in, it comes out this line.

notes: lauthiamkok is the name of my computer. my login name/ user name as well.

Comment

Originally posted by lauthiamkok
        i have no idea what to type in next
        ... and what about startx to start the X server and bring up the graphical user interface? - By the way: the "bunch of text" you have mentioned may contain the error messages we would need to know of in order to help you on ...

Birdy

Comment

I have tried with the X server but it still throws me back to the beginning page of username and password....

the text it says...

------------------------

starting up...
          Ubuntu 6.10 lauthiamkok tty1
          lauthiamkok login:lauthiamkok
          password:

Last login: Thu Dec 13:16:26 2006 on:0
          Linux lauthiamkok 2.6.17-10-generic #2 SMP Thu Dec 5 22:28:28 UTC 2006 i686

The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software; the exact distribution terms for each program are desicribed in the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by applicale law.

lauthiamkok@lauthiamkok:~$_

-------------------------

Why does it say Ubuntu? I installed Kubuntu actually...

And I dont understand why it say the last login is Thu Dec 28 which is today just now.... I tried with my login name and password but it threw me out!!

again lauthiamkok is my login name and computer name as well.

thanks.

Comment

O.k., first things first: metaphorically speaking, Kubuntu is "the same stuff [as Ubuntu] in a different wrapping", for the desktop it what makes the two of them distinct (while Ubuntu features GNOME, KDE is Kubuntu's interface of choice) ...

As for your problem, once logged in to the console, you may give startkdm a try ... hopefully, this will work - or at least produce some (more helpful) output. My guessing, however, is that you have trashed your GUI - which I would rather call an annoyance than a severe problem

Birdy

Comment

sorry... how do I use startkdm??

In console log in, I typed in "startkdm" after lauthiamkok@lauthiamkok:~$_

it comes out this -

-bash:startkdm:command not found.

I tried to use the Ubuntu Recovery Mode, and comes out this at the last line -

roo@lauthiamkok:~#_

what other things can I try?? do I have to re-install the whole system again??

Lau

Comment

Originally posted by lauthiamkok
                how do I use startkdm?
                Sorry, my fault, too loose - try /etc/init.d/kdm start instead.

Birdy

Comment

hello Birdy....I have just tried and it says...

Open: Permission denied.

Starting k Display Manager:kdmOnly root wants to run kdm
                  already running.

lauthiamkok@lauthiamkok:~$_

------------------

*sign...* what else can I do??

Comment

[mumble,mumble] ... sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg ... hopefully, this will bring up an interface to reconfigure the X server which you seem to have trashed.

Alternative: boot from a live system (e.g. Xubuntu) and, once this is running as expected, restore the installed system's X server configuration on basis of the running system's one.

Birdy

Comment

hello Birdy,

*Alternative: boot from a live system (e.g. Xubuntu) and, once this is running as expected, restore the installed system's X server configuration on basis of the running system's one.*

"a live system"? do you mean the Kubuntu cd that I used to intall Kubuntu system?

I have tried the command you said.... it comes out lots of configuration interface which I dont undertand at all so I just kept pressing enter....in the end it says somthing like xserver is not installed and no info is available.... i am going to give up....

will i lose all my data if i re-install the system? anyway to save them?

Comment

I got a similar problem some time ago. The reason was that the partition where Kubuntu was installed was 100% full.
                        try to start kubuntu from a CD and then open a console and type df and see how much space left is in your linux partition
                        best,
                        Marco

Comment

thanks for the reply Marco. yes you are right. the partition in linux is 100% full!! What can I do about it then??

Lau

Comment

You should remove file that are unnecessary. I had a lot of crap in the following folder:

/home/nameofyouruserfolder/.local/share/Trash

for some reason they were not deleted. I suspect i deleted many file in the external HD and then turned it off without emptying the trash.

But you might have a lot of useless file also in the folder were the installed programs are downloaded from apt-get
                            /var/cache/apt/archives/

you can save a lot of space if you run
                            sudo apt-get clean

I'm not an expert so I cannot tell you exactly which files to remove and how, but at least you got the problem now.
                            Best,
                            Marco

Comment

thanks Marco. I will try the commands you suggest. Thanks!

Lau

Comment

Working...
                              X