This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wierd problem with internet

Hi, I have a problem with internet. At work with a static IP everything works. At home I have a DSL connection with ethernet with DHPC protocol. I change the network settings after I log in, to activate DHPC but, although Skype works, i cannot see any internet site. I thought it was a problem with DNS, but even if I add those from opendns, it does not work.

Which checks should I do to understand where the problem is?

When I activate the DHPC, a dynamic IP is configured, but the DNS and the gateway remains blank.

I have kubuntu 6.10 on Dell Inspiron 8200. Internet at home worked quite nice with the previous version.

THanks for your help,
    Marco

Re: wierd problem with internet

Hi mmac72

Try setting up a second domain one for at work and one for home.
    In system settings got o network settings the Zeroconf Service Discovery.

It should work but I can not tell you how.
    One of the other great people should be able to fill in the details how.

Good Luck

Comment

I have wireless to a router and have configured my box with domain name server address (the default gateway address of the router) and the same info in the default gateway IP address.

Comment

I enabled the zero config, although I do not know what it is. Nothing changed. I the DHCP assign a IP to my computer, skype works but I cannot browse any internet site. It should be something with the DSN but I do not know how to sort this out.
        I tried to log with another computer (the one I'm using now) which has XP and internet works fine.
        ANy idea of what I can do?
        thanks
        marco

Comment

ANother information that can be useful to solve the problem. I tried to use the comand ping with the site www.google.com

if i use
          ping www.google.com
          nothing happens

if i use
          ping 64.233.183.103
          it works, it gives me the reply.

Comment

Re: wierd problem with internet solved, but question

Hi the problem was my firewall Lokkit, that did not allowed me to browse internet. Could anyone suggest an easy firewall that also a non expert can use?
            marco

Comment

Working...
            X