This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbe questions keyboard, mouse, kontakt

I've got a wireless USB laser keyboard and mouse from Logitech, and things are not really running smoothly yet.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a windows user and this is the first time I've tried anything else, so I'm glad I've got it running,
    But ± that was supposed to be a colon, the keyboard layout is not correct.
    Also scrolling in mozilla firefox is very jagged and not smooth at all even though I did check the box for smooth scrolling.
    This textbox does scroll great...I vaguely recall having this problem when there are no graphic drivers installed. But my resolution is good (1024x768)

In Kontakt I get an error every time I check mail. I've added two e/mail accounts and those work, but it also seems to check `localhost' something =)that was supposed to be a question mark....'
    Also , can I pop3 forward GMAIL accounts?

I have yet to figure out how to install mozilla extensions. I've manage to unpack the tar.gz thing but will search the forum for that. I know how annoying it is when newbies ask sill questions without searching (except I have read wuite a bit of the documentation and a bit of the forum so far).

Also I am almost done ripping all music from my iPod to my harddisk, but I did that by copying the Music folder on my iPod to a folder on my drive.
    Is there an easy program that will rename whatever the ipod called it to the song title that is in the ID3 tag )_!'"(#&$% can't find my question mark.

Anyway, so far Kubuntu (latest version) looks very nice.
    I will need to look into running certain windows programs (No Linux) version exists, and I need to figure out if there is some sore of Device manager so I can check if all drivers are recognized and, and how to install software, and find alternative versions of what i have on my windows pc ...this will keep me busy for a while.
    Thanks !!
    C.

Re: Newbe questions keyboard, mouse, kontakt

Well, the smooth scrolling problem is with your graphics card driver. What graphics card do you have?

To run Windows programs, use Wine.
    The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.<br /><br />-Douglas Adams

Comment

On board graphics, Biostar Geforce6100 hyphen M9

Comment

Ok, well, try to look for the drivers for your card, and install them.

Comment

I've tried that, only have Win drivers on CD, and on their site there are no Linux drivers either (and I wouldn't know how to install them either...)

On the ubuntu form there is a lot of talk about scripts (aka heeeeelp!) and I haven't even used the command thing in Kubuntu yet...

Comment

Oh, hang on, it's Nvidia.. so I should be able to use the drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html ?

Or this one??
            http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Gosh this is complicated...grr ! ANd with this lousy scrolling mouse surfing is hell.

Comment

No. You don't need to search. If it's nvidia, just go to K > System > Adept, and use the search to find nvidia-glx. Install.

Edit:

Sorry, forgot to tell you how to enable it.

If you enable it through System Settings or any way that uses the command line or GUI, it will cause you to loose the GUI. Luckily, you can enable it safely. It's a bit more difficult, but you only have to do it once.

After you install it, go to the root directory, and in Konqueror go to Veiw > show hidden files/folders (or something like that). Then go to the folder called "etc" and find the file called xorg.conf.

Right click on xorg.conf and in the menu go to Actions > Edit as Root. Type in your password (Your user password) and find the ine that looks something like:

Code:
              driver: "nv"
              Now, change "nv" to "nvidia" and save the file.

Logout, and at the login screen click on the menu, click on "Restart X" and log back on. You're drivers are now completely installed!

Comment

Yeah, that one is not working . I tried that.

I am now using Automatix2, which seems to want to install the same thing, but I hope that fixes it.

Comment

Automatix made problems for me, but if you really want to use it, that's fine.

Comment

Hooraaaay, I can scroll!
                    Automatix fixed it here so I'm glad I tried that.

Moving on to fix the rest, have to say that although it looks real nice and runs a bit faster so far, I've had a program hang on me twice already.. not that big a difference from Windows...

Comment

Back up your data before you reboot. With me, automatix worked, but when I rebooted I only got a command line.

So, get some cds and burn you important data before you reboot!

If you reboot, and it's fine, then I will re-think my opinion of Automatix.

Comment

I've rebooted

Comment

I think I'm getting the hang of this !
                          Keyboard fixed as well : ( My Kubuntu is Dutch)
                          K Menu - Systeeminstellingen (System settings?) , Regio en toegankelijkheid( Region and accesibility?), Toetsenbordindeling ( keyboard settings?).

And then check the enable layout box and set it to whatever your keyboard is.
                          Click apply and it's working great!

Comment

Working...
                          X