This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defrag problem

I'm trying to get my disk ready to partition it. I have a 40GB with 24GB free. I've done a bunch of defrag's, but I still have to do something with these unmovable files, and there are still quite a few files that have not moved to the front of the disk. Is there a good way to deal with this?

Re: Defrag problem

40 gigs isn't much room for 2 OS's. The ultimate solution here is buy a larger hard drive, install Linux and throw away your Windows set up disk. :-D

You might ought to check you drive for errors first.
    Start>Settings>Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrative tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management
    Right click on your hard drive chose "Properties">tools>Check for errors now.
    Reboot
    Start>Settings>Control panel. In the left is a box of options chose "Classic View."
    System
    Advanced>Performance>Click "Settings" button.
    Click the "Advanced"tab, then in the "Virtual Memory" section click "change"
    Tick the "No Paging File Option." Click Set
    Click OK, close the dialog box "You must restart your computer .Click Apply. Click OK. Click OK
    Restart your computer and defrag a few times. Eat supper, read a book - this will be slower than normal (which is saying a lot!)

After Kubuntu is set up remember to restore your page file or Windows will run even slower than normal.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I know 40 isn't ideal, but I'm not going to be able to afford a new hard drive for a while. I have a 30GB hard drive in an old computer I was thinking about adding, but I read that it can be a challenge getting the two to work together properly with Linux.

Comment

It won't be any problem at all. :-) I started out with Kubuntu on one drive and windows on the other. If you know how to install the other drive it's very straight forward.

Funny thing happened though - my Windows got the deadly Kubuntu virus and ended up being wiped out so only Kubunu was left. :-D

Comment

Working...
        X