This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny screen when booting Live CD and some other Qs

When I boot the 6.10 Desktop CD, the X server and window manager works fine but then KDE starts up and My screen becomes fragmented, My screen bets divided into three segments and those segments get lost or re-arranged . I am running an old Dell laptop (latitude C800) and have heard there are some issues with Dell laptops, if so where can I look for a solution (I can't find one in the normal FAQ and bug tracker). Any ideas Is there any way to install from the Desktop CD without booting into a live version. And what is the deal with a mixed Live and install CD? Does 6.10 natively support WPA_PSK security for wireless nets?

Boot parameters I've tried so far - vga=771 acpi=off aic7xxx.aic7.xxx=no_probe
    The last one is recommended by the help section of the the CD for some dell machines.

*edit* - multiple spilling mistakes I can't function without a spell checker

Re: Funny screen when booting Live CD and some other Qs

You're going to play hell getting that one to run on Edgy. :P How much RAM do you have? Bare minimum for Dapper 6.06 is 256, and Edgy is more video intensive than Dapper even.

Have you got very much invested in this set up? If you don't you might consider switching to Dapper (6.06 LTS), and if that's tooslow you might consider a switch to Xubuntu which is much lighter than Ubuntu and Kubuntu (and still looks ***very*** cool!) and has the same programs and every thing.

Comment

I got no problem with the minimum reguirements for 6.10. I had the same problems when I was trying to install Debian Sarge, The reason I use Kubuntu is that I didn't have this problem with Kubuntu! I don't think the problem is with the specks of the machine, I think the problem is something to do with video modes. The graphics adapter is an ATI mobility M4. I know it can handle more than the splash screen, it runs at 1200x1600 32-bit colour depth and a refresh rate of 60Hz.

I have 6.06 already and have some serious issues doing the upgrade to 6.10.

Also I have no idea how to get the WPA_PSK security for wireless nets working for 6.06 without which I have no internet connection.

I did look at Xubuntu but at my current connection speeds I'm looking at weeks to download it.

So any other ideas would be welcome!!!!

*edit* It's my own fault I can't spell. I should have listened to all the teachers

Comment

For your spelling problems use the Konqueor web browser instead of Fire Fox. Click on the "Settings" menu item and chose "Configure spelling". It will check as you go. Before posting, right click in your text box and chose spell check. Kubuntu and KDE are truly amazing!

I'm sorry, I thought the Latitude was an older laptop with low end ATI graphics. Maybe this will help with the graphics?
        http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Categoryistributions

Comment

Podunk I don't think, you are listening to me. I ONLY HAVE INTERNET ACCESS USING WINDOWS! I can't use Konquerer till I have WPA_PSK sorted on Ubuntu. I'll try the stuff via the linbk see if it works.

Comment

Working...
          X