This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI Radeon X800 hangs Edgy CD boot -- here is the fix

Problem: Boot from Edgy CD image hangs on splash screen, regardless of choosing "safe graphics mode" -- you see the Kubuntu splash screen flicker and freezup with some graphic junk lines, and you're done.

Solution: On initial boot screen, choose F4, select a suitable VGA resolution for your monitor (800 X 600 or whatever you like), press "Enter" twice and boot to text mode. You get a user command line prompt. At the command prompt, enter:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

This will bring up the X.org graphics configuration program.

On the first screen asking whether you wish to autodetect the graphics card, choose "NO" (this is what got you in trouble in the first place!) The second screen presents a list of video card manufacturers and types. ATI is a choice -- DO NOT choose ATI! Choose "VESA".

Now you're stuck plodding through the rest of the X.org program to configure your monitor, keyboard, and mouse. It autodetected my Samsung SyncMaster, and I was able to pick my way through the rest of the choices. Mostly you want to accept defaults, but follow the advice for keyboard and mouse layouts, such as if you are a U.S. English-speaking user. When you finish the last screen of choices, you will be tossed back to the command line.

At the command line, enter "startx" and up comes the Kubuntu Edgy desktop, in all its splendor!
Working...
X