This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie goes splat booting Edgy - video card challenge

I ran the CD image of version 6.06 last weekend, and loved it, so I decided to buy a new hard drive and get Edgy, and leave Win-World forever (I hope).

But upon attempting to boot Edgy from my new CD image, the boot hangs, and it looks like it is my ATI Radeon x800 causing the problem. I can choose VGA mode and get to a command prompt, where I'm pretty helpless due to lack of Linux command line know-how. Booting Windows, I went out and found the newest ATI Linux driver/installer, and downloaded it, so I have it. I assume there are ways (from the Linux command line) to mount my Windows hard drive, go find my ATI installer file, and get on with it, but zowie that seems like a hard way to go.

Since 6.06 will boot in "safe graphics mode" on this machine, is it my fate to install 6.06, and then install the ATI driver, and then use the upgrade route to install 6.10? Is there a better way to go straight to 6.10? Can anyone point me in a useful direction?

Re: Newbie goes splat booting Edgy - video card challenge

Hi,

You should try to issue the command startx from the command line when you boot the 6.10. It should help to find where it hangs.
    If you don't see the error, please check the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log (grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log)

Cheers

Comment

Working...
    X