X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with sound shortcuts

Hi,

I am new to kubuntu, and I have a problem with the sound:
    the sound itself works, but I can't modify with my keyboard, so for now, I use alsamix.

I tried to change the shortcuts in the settings, to reinstall pulseaudio and to restart, but it didn't work.

I'm sorry if it's silly, but I'm still a bit new to kubuntu. Thank you for your help.

We need to know the specs of you PC.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes I'm sorry:
      Kubuntu 18.04
      Proc : i7-9750H@2.60 Ghz / RAM : 16 Go

Comment

What sort of system, laptop? PC, Brand and model? Keyboard brand/model?
        Can we assume that the system tray widget works for volume control?

We ask this as your particular hardware may have known issues, and it helps to troubleshoot

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          What sort of system, laptop? PC, Brand and model? Keyboard brand/model?
          Can we assume that the system tray widget works for volume control?

We ask this as your particular hardware may have known issues, and it helps to troubleshoot
          It's a MSI GF63 Thin 9SC-472FR, laptop
          The keys for volume control worked when I was on windows

Comment

Originally posted by stercoraire View Post
            I tried to change the shortcuts in the settings...
            Which setting did you try to change, exactly? Was it system settings->Workspace, Shortcuts->Global Keyboard Shortcuts->Audio Volume->Increase Volume (and Decrease Volume)? I ask because there's Media Controller shortcuts too, which are for something else, I guess controlling the volume on another device.

I think the "default" shortcuts are "Volume Up" and "Volume Down", whatever they are supposed to be. If you click on, say, Decrease Volume, then click where it says None, and press the key or key combo for your volume down function, whet happens? Or does nothing happen?

With different keyboards and laptops I've had the keys called a variety of weird names, but sometimes they work.

I use buttons on my panel. I know I can mouse over the volume indicator and use the mouse wheel, but I find that too fiddly. One way to create such buttons is to add menu items using the KDE Menu Editor (right click the K menu, and choose Edit applications) that run these commands:
            Code:
            pactl set-sink-volume @DEFAULT_SINK@ +5%%
            and
            Code:
            pactl set-sink-volume @DEFAULT_SINK@ -5%%
            then drag them from the menu onto the panel. To get the "pactl" command IIRC install the package "pulseaudio-utils".
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              Which setting did you try to change, exactly? Was it system settings->Workspace, Shortcuts->Global Keyboard Shortcuts->Audio Volume->Increase Volume (and Decrease Volume)? I ask because there's Media Controller shortcuts too, which are for something else, I guess controlling the volume on another device.

I think the "default" shortcuts are "Volume Up" and "Volume Down", whatever they are supposed to be. If you click on, say, Decrease Volume, then click where it says None, and press the key or key combo for your volume down function, whet happens? Or does nothing happen?
              Yes, I changed it exactly from here, I put a shortcut like Ctrl+Alt+Right, but it didn't work : nothing happened when I pressed the keys.

But your other solution works : I created those three applications (Volume up, volume down, and volume mute with pactl set-sink-mute @DEFAULT_SINK@ toggle), and I assigned a shortcut to each one in the advanced settings, and it works fine like this. Thank you !

Comment

Working...
              X