X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help rolling back to xp from kubuntu

[Content deleted by Administrator]
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 09, 2018, 09:22 AM.

I'm confused. The same Thinkpad R60 that was released in 2006? The same Windows XP that was withdrawn from support in 2014?

I think your time machine may be faulty.
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by thomasshow View Post
      I selected the option which uses the entire HDD for linux(I dunno if my service partition was wiped by doing this).
      Well, it does just what it says "uses the entire HDD" ... so, yes, your XP partitions are history. Sorry about that.

If you were pretty sure you wanted to go back to XP (why, oh, why would you want to??) you would have been better to have used another hard drive to try out Kubuntu and left the XP drive as is. Alternatively, reduced the XP partition down enough to install Kubuntu on.

I can't imagine what "new" games could run on XP. I play some really old Windows games in Kubuntu very well (Doom, Quake, Tomb Raider, etc) using Wine or native Linux executables in some cases.

With such old hardware you would probably be better running Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Linux Lite or similar lightweight distros. Kubuntu might be OK if you turn off all the desktop effects, etc. If you have less than 2 Gb of memory it's not going to be much fun.
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

as has been said that's quite an old machine. even if you get xp reloaded you most likely will no longer find many of the programs or drivers you'll need. Why give up on Kubuntu or Linux for that matter they should run fine on that machine - you may have to up the ram though if I remember right those only came with about 512MB ram. Where did you get such an old machine with xp still installed?
        good luck.
        Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

There have lately been bots reposting old posts, this is spam https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=44621

Comment

Thank you Bings. User has been PERM BANNED and it's identity (username, email address, IP) added to Stop Forum Spam.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I suspected as much, having seen another here, but didn't want to leap too quickly to that conclusion.

What do these spammers hope to gain? A bit of history up to 10 posts or whatever so they can then post actual spam?
              I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
              X