Splitting EXT4 Partition Into New NTFS Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splitting EXT4 Partition Into New NTFS Drive

Hello, I'm having trouble trying to split the EXT4 partition to have a 2nd NTFS partition to install Windows on it. I thought this would be easy but it won't let me do it. Any suggestions please? thank you

Kubuntu version?
    What tools or applications are you using?
    What exactly is not working, what won't it let you do? What are you seeing, exactly?

If you are trying to split the drive that has your running Kubuntu on it, you will need to boot to a live USB session to be able to do that.

Comment

Yes what you just said last, I think is it. I am in the system, I am using the same mounted partition and trying to cut it and reformat the 2nd drive to NTFS. I thought that this might be easy like doing in in OSX by just going to Utilities and the Disk Manager and throwing in the new name and size and done. But I guess with Linux I can't do that. I think the live approach is a good one or a high-speed USB stick with a parallel op system to access the computer's drive from the outside.

Comment

Yes, you can't resize the drive that the OS is running on, unfortunately.

Comment

I suggest to start the computer from a GParted live USB stick and do it from there (https://gparted.org/download.php).

And make a backup of all your (important) data before modifying disk partitions!!!
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

well I'm a novice in Linux just FYI, from what I'm reading I can create a USB stick with Ventoy on it with many distro loaders and that will give me the option of doing it in a live version virtually whereby I can then cut up and reformat (into whatever format I want) the existing internal drive and then install Windows on it, is that correct? and by using GParted does this do the same thing? - Download gparted-live-1.5.0-6-amd64.iso

Comment

Originally posted by LanciaDelta View Post
              using GParted does this do the same thing? - Download gparted-live-1.5.0-6-amd64.iso
              Yes, it does.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	help.png Views:	0 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	674504
                having some trouble getting Ventoy or GParted on the USB drive to work, I transferred a bunch of files to internal Linux and now trying to install Ventoy or GParted into the USB but getting some error prompts which file is it in this attachment pic? or am I doing something wrong?
                Last edited by LanciaDelta; Oct 16, 2023, 01:00 PM.

Comment

I suggest to postpone the "Ventoy project" to another day and simply use e.g. balena Etcher (https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/...1-x64.AppImage) to "burn" the gparted-live-1.5.0-6-amd64.iso​ to your USB stick.
                  Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                  Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                  install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
                  X