X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query about deborphan

Hi.

Is it advisable to use deborphan to remove orphan packages or is this a problem?

I see these:

Code:
    libqca2-plugin-ossl
    libkolab1
    libkf5kdgantt2-5
    libkf5alarmcalendar5
    qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel
    libkf5gapicontacts5
    libkf5kmanagesieve5
    libkf5ksieve5
    libnm-glib4
    libotr5
    libkf5akonadisearchdebug5
    libkf5akonadiagentbase5
    libkf5kontactinterface5
    libsignon-glib1
    libkwineffects8
    libvncclient1
    libkf5gapicalendar5
    libkf5kiogui5
    oxygen5-icon-theme
    libkf5calendarsupport-data
    kdepimlibs-kio-plugins
    libkf5libkleo5
    libkf5followupreminder5
    libkf5mbox5
    libkf5gapitasks5
    libkf5sendlater5
    libkf5akonadisearchpim5
    libkwinglutils8
    libqt5qml-graphicaleffects
    libkf5messagecore5
    libkf5syndication5
    libkf5grantleetheme-plugins
    libkf5imap5
    libkf5eventviews-data
    libavahi-gobject0
    libkf5tnef5
    libkf5libkdepim-data
    libkf5grantleetheme5
    libkf5webkit5

Personally, I would not use deborphin.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I wouldn't do any more than use:

sudo apt-get autoremove

every once in a while to clean out redundant packages as suggested by the apt system itself. This command can take quite a while to do this if you've accumulated a lot of kernels (as is the case in most systems that have been updated regularly over time). It won't remove the current or the previous kernels (obviously a good idea).

As regards using cleaning tools such as deborphan this is an interesting read from here:

Never use cleaning or defrag applications

With cleaning applications like BleachBit or deborphan, you easily destroy more than you want. They're software wrecking balls that can damage your system beyond repair.

You can't trust them, because unless you're very careful, they remove too much and damage the system. Sometimes so heavily, that your Ubuntu or Mint can't boot into the desktop anymore. Under certain circumstances, BleachBit can even pollute your system with massive amounts of junk.

BleachBit, deborphan and others like them are superfluous at best, and disastrous at their worst. They're "tools" that primarily cater to the psychological needs of new Linux users who come fresh from Windows, and mistakenly assume that certain essential Windows maintenance is needed on Linux as well.

In short: it's a newbie trap. Don't fall for it.
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

How to clean Ubuntu safely - https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...sproject/clean
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

While I agree in principle with the philosophy to avoid heavy, dumbed-down canned cleaners, I have used Bleachbit successfully on 14.04 (and before) for quite some time. The developer has been responsive to my inquiries.

You can pick and choose what it will clean. You don't have to run stupid and check everything. You can also run it in Preview mode and learn a lot by studying what it says it will clean for you should you click the Delete button--it shows you the path to the item to be deleted, useful if you are designing your own checklist to do manually or writing a script for. If you check an item that is advanced or potentially risky, Bleachbit will bring it to your attention.

You might make your own cleaning list after studying your OS, as suggested by arochester's link on cleaning safely.

I did this at one time, wrote up some ideas, lists, tips, tricks in my

Privacy Cleanup 101
          https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...cy-Cleanup-101

but have not reviewed that since 2010, but it will give you a start. If you are new to this, Adobe Flash Cookies are sweet little darlings you may wish to look at (there's a section on them).

I will say this, though about Bleachbit, and as an example. After I run both Firefox and Chromium real heavy, playing various chance games and such, in just an hour, so much junk is produced that Bleachbit finds and cleans 15,000-20,000 files. And without doing this, in extreme cases, the damned site I'm using won't even hardly run right in my browsers. That clearly is a FWIW and user-beware note (because it is an example of doing major cleaning using the canned Bleachbit). But, as I said, you can easily configure Bleachbit to clean only those files you wish to let it clean.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I've used Bleachbit, and I think it's a good progam for what it does.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I,ve used Bleachbit as well ,,,,and it did what I told it to,,,,but 14.04 was the last one I used it in.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
              X