Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the gurus and over-achievers of our community.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the gurus and over-achievers of our community.

This probably won't affect you until you are older, still wanting to maintain an effective and propserous life while waiting to die, but it happens to us in our declining years, and because lifespans are getting longer and longer, it may affect you even more than I.

Currently, when I open a browser, I immediately have to select Ctrl + and press 6 times to have print size at a comfortable level, then if I want to link to another screen, I have to do it again, and again, and again, and again. Is this a design to penalize people who have the audacity to live to an older age?

We are only older on the outside; we are still young on the inside where our mind lives.

Still, if we are fortunate enough to live a long life, isn't it fair that we experience as similar a life as when we were young, while the technology is readily available to make it so?

If this seams reasonable to you, why is it not so?

At least 10 of the 20 or so years I have been computing, I have had to use Ctrl + or Zoom in, to be able to read the written page on the screen of my computer. Not only have I had to do this, I have to press the enter key 6 times for each screen.

Even Kubuntu, the industry leader in confirugability has fallen short in many of their offerings.

Since Kubuntu evidences their affiliation with KDE, I speak to them as one.

Why then, when I set default font configuration to all kubuntu applications as my choice, do they not always work?

Dolphin accepts my default font size configuration, but sudodolphin does not. I am glad no one sees what I have to do to use sudodolphin.

Being 73 years old and infirm, it is difficult for me to get out of a chair any more. I do when necessary, but pay a price in pain each time. So when I must open sudodolphin, I have to stand up on my wrinkley old legs, quivering at the while, put my nose on the monitor, with my head tilted back until it hurts to view still blurry letters through my bifocals just to read the oportunities, options and menu item needs. If you imaged that in your mind, you were probably accurate in the image I experience.

Yakuake, my favorite console, allows for increased default font settings, but leaves the bottom line of their open screen, the line where you can close the application or make changes to the configuration, unreadably small, or in the case of any symbol used to link a choice, a blur, so you have to guess at what it might be.

Or, Kmail, my favorite email application, you can increase font, but you will probably hit Ctrl + a few times before you realize that you have to go to the menu or toolbar to use the Zoom in feature; they like to be different.

What is the matter with SAME, when it comes to rather irrelevant issues?

I hate to think of the misery a Windows user experiences when attempting same.

Monitors are getting affordable for larger sizes, yet still when you open an application only a small part of the interior of the screen appears. To make it nice for me, I press Ctrl + 6 or 7 times until my page fills the monitor. It is wonderful to have the information on screen so large that it might be convenient to reduce in size, even though I never make it smaller.

If I had a monitor the size of the largest wall of the largest room in my studio, I would still fill the screen.

Applications, like Unetbootin, are wonderful programs, but absolutely useless to people with my vision limitations. However, it is a take-it-or-leave-it application, and free, so I cannot complain, excepting for the fact, I would like to be able to use it too. In fact, Kubuntu is free too, so my complaint is rather hollow when I talk to them.

My complaint is not with existing offerings, only to the effect that someone should change what I am talking about.

I can not exagerate my appreciation for the free and high quality operating systems and applications I use, especially Kubuntu. I just can't see why this need of many is not added to their excellence, since it is available on occasion, just not all occasions.

I realize this is becoming boring reading to most, but eventually you will age too, and to the extent some of these problems will be part of your lives, why not use that genious God gave you and create a widget, or applet, or application that will universally solve this problem. If I could, I would.

Thanks for the read Shab

This is likely a long time coming, but finding things on the 'Net with Google does take patience and, at times, a fair amount of finesse.

For your needs, if I may restate in my own words, you need 'everything' that appears on your monitor to be BIGGER. Well, that can be accomplished very easily.

Go into System Settings and then click on Display and Monitor. Display Configuration is the first item in the list of options on the left and is already selected. In the right pane, scroll down (if required) and click on Scale Display. This opens the configuration setting for Screen Scaling. You will see a slider (Scale:) with its default setting at the far left. Click and hold your mouse on the button or simply click anywhere along the scale line. You will see the effect in the Screen Scaling window immediately. You can continue to increase the scaling to suit your needs.

Once you have it to your liking, click OK and close out of System Settings. As you are informed at the top of the Screen Scaling window, Scaling changes will come into effect after restart, so you must log out and restart (reboot) your system.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You can configure the default text size in most web browsers.
      Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...e-of-web-pages
      Chrome/Chromium: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/96810?hl=en

Comment

I know EXACTLY what you are experiencing, Shab!
        Bifocals ... I hate'm but can't function without them.
        In my youth I'd ride my bike 15-20 miles into the mountains west of Englewood (south Denver), or as far east (Cherry Creek reservoir) to hunt and fish.
        In college I'd run a mile each way each day to and from my part time job. All that quit in grad school, but I still have a resting heart rate in the mid 50s. (Used to be 45-50).
        From a cross-legged squatting position on the floor I used to be able to raise myself to a standing position with just my legs. I once lifted a regular refrigerator by myself, using straps, and carried it up the back door steps and into the kitchen.
        Now, my legs alone can't life my body out of a chair and I can no longer run, or even jog. I have to push up with my arms at the same time if I want to stand upright. Pick something up off the floor? If I bend my legs to lower myself too much I won't be able to straighten back up, Luckily, my arms are barely long enough to reach the floor.
        The chest has sagged and become my gut, and the lats have settled on my hips.
        No hair, except in my ears and nose and eyebrows.
        My memory is just a memory, and is fading fast, but I won't miss it because I won't remember I ever had it.
        But, I have no complaints. I've been blessed. A great life with a wonderful wife who survived two major operations last year, two great kids and three wonderful grandchildren. God is good!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GreyGeek, are you from Denver? I grew up near Cherry Creek Reservoir.

Comment

Wow, Old home week here, I was born in Colorado Springs, east side of town, where the sand still made dunes in the front yard.

Shab, I had the same problem, and I found Snowhogs solution while trying to get my video driver to work. There are still some websites who assume that everyone has a 21 inch monitor and 20-20 eyesite... Ctrl _+ Ctrl + Ctrl +
            Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

One thing that I think got missed; Shab's root dolphin issue.

The root account has its own settings; you have to do it as root, but you can copy ~/.config/dolphinrc to /root/.config/dolphinrc if you wanted to.

Slightly more elegant but requiring a little more work would be to run systemsettings as root; it can be done fairly easily but requires you to assign a password to the root account and add a symlink to kdesu to make things work - if you wanted to you could use the same password for the root account so you wouldn't have to remember a different password if you wanted to use kdesu instead of kdesudo.

Something like this:
              Code:
              sudo passwd root
              Next we need to create a symlink to kdesu so it's in your path - that looks like this:
              Code:
              sudo ln -s /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu /bin/kdesu
              Then you can do this:
              Code:
              kdesu dbus-run-session systemsettings5
              and you'll have access to the same systemsettings interface for the root account that you have for your normal user account. You can even create a .desktop file for this and call it from a menu

If you want to run dolphin as root the only way I've been able to make it work correctly is like this:
              Code:
              kdesu dbus-run-session dolphin
              Hope this helps

edit: I completely missed that Shab isn't running Plasma5. Please disregard most of what I said above
              Last edited by wizard10000; Oct 31, 2016, 03:43 PM.
              we see things not as they are, but as we are.
              -- anais nin

Comment

Warning: cliche coming!
                It's all relative.

Wherever you are, you just gotta be grateful for what you DO have and what you CAN do -- at that point in time. (Hate that expression: what WTH is a "point in time"? Didn't Einstein teach us that you also have to specify the other space coordinates as well?)
                So, for example, be glad you can pick stuff up that you dropped--no matter how you must do it. Be glad you can do a CTR +++ with one or two hands and with a couple fingers that you still happen to have. And be glad you CAN still see something, somehow, with at least one eye.

That's my 3 cents worth. (And recall, there IS a 3-cent piece USA, in fact several varieties,
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-...d_States_coin) )
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                  GreyGeek, are you from Denver? I grew up near Cherry Creek Reservoir.
                  3000 South Perl street, Englewood, CO
                  Went to Washington elementary (torn down now), Flood Jr Hi, and Englewood Sr High
                  Caddied at Cherry Creek Golf course while in HS. One time I caddied for a foursome that followed Pres Eisenhower on the course.
                  The reservoir was built in the 50's and while it slowly filled up it made great hunting. Got shot at by duck poachers one one occasion. Now that area is under water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	displayconfiguration.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	643371

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    This is likely a long time coming, but finding things on the 'Net with Google does take patience and, at times, a fair amount of finesse.

For your needs, if I may restate in my own words, you need 'everything' that appears on your monitor to be BIGGER. Well, that can be accomplished very easily.

Go into System Settings and then click on Display and Monitor. Display Configuration is the first item in the list of options on the left and is already selected. In the right pane, scroll down (if required) and click on Scale Display. This opens the configuration setting for Screen Scaling. You will see a slider (Scale:) with its default setting at the far left. Click and hold your mouse on the button or simply click anywhere along the scale line. You will see the effect in the Screen Scaling window immediately. You can continue to increase the scaling to suit your needs.

Once you have it to your liking, click OK and close out of System Settings. As you are informed at the top of the Screen Scaling window, Scaling changes will come into effect after restart, so you must log out and restart (reboot) your system.

Comment

I right-clicked all portions of the screen and could not get a menu for choices. I am in K14.04LTS; K16 is very buggy in my computer.

I read that K16.10 is more stable and downloaded, but Start Up Disk Creator nor mkusb nor unetbootin open with large enough print for me to read. I hurt too much today to get up close to the monitor to read through my bifocals. I will see if it is better tomorrow. Thanks friend! Shab

Comment

Okay, 14.04 doesn't have Screen Scaling as a configuration option. That's too bad, as I think it is exactly what you are looking for. It is available in 16.04 and 16.10.
                        Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 31, 2016, 05:19 PM.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I right-clicked all portions of the screen and could not get a menu for choices. I am in K14.04LTS;
                          Yep, I can confirm that on my 14.04 -- no Screen Scaling in that menu.
                          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I like to say:
                            -- Growing old is not for sissies.

Also:
                            -- Youth is wasted on the young.

Comment

Originally posted by andystmartin View Post
                              ... Also:
                              -- Youth is wasted on the young.
                              From "It's a Wonderful Life!", one of my favorite movies.

Comment

Working...
                              X