This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to delete install history in Discover

When I discovered "Discover" I was thrilled. I installed some apps without hassle. To day morning a newly installed SMPS developed a loose contact to hard disk System did not restart. I reinstalled Kubuntu. However Discover refuses to install VLC and other applications that were installed earlier. I do not know where it keeps its history. It is not on my HDD. How do I reinstall software deleted in reinstall ?. I Googled without any results about this. I will be thankful for any guidance.

IMO, Discover is crapware.

Install Muon or Synaptic and then install what you want.

Please Read Me

Comment

There may have been 'good reasons' for splitting the original Muon Package Manager and creating Muon Discover, but, the harm that can/is done to a Kubuntu installation using just Muon Discover should be justification enough to discontinue it's use in Kubuntu. I think it would be a good idea if the Kubuntu/KDE developers adopted as the first plank in their developers credo, "First, Do No Harm". Using Muon Discover 'as the only means of package management' is asking for disaster.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I like the idea of a "pretty" interface like a cell phone style for finding apps but it needs the more technical control of Muon along with it. I would prefer a single install utility that was configurable to the users' tastes or need.

Please Read Me

Comment

I installed Synaptic from command line. I was able to reinstall missing applications using that. I thought there might be a way to delete history. This is the reason I am shifting from OS I was using from nearly 2 decades to Linux. Everyone wants complete and full control of our system. I do not care If they peek in to everything that I do, I do not have anything to hide, but using my bandwidth to spy on me costs 3-4 times my data usage bill. Forgive me for the rant.
          Thanks for helping.

Comment

Originally posted by vsmmath View Post
            I installed Synaptic from command line. I was able to reinstall missing applications using that. I thought there might be a way to delete history. This is the reason I am shifting from OS I was using from nearly 2 decades to Linux. Everyone wants complete and full control of our system. I do not care If they peek in to everything that I do, I do not have anything to hide, but using my bandwidth to spy on me costs 3-4 times my data usage bill. Forgive me for the rant.
            Thanks for helping.
            Settings --> Preferences --> Files. On the Files tab you can set the history retention time.

Besides switching to Kubuntu you can activate ufw (gufw is the gui)and run your browser from a VPN to further protect your privacy.

"Nothing to hide" does NOT mean you are "innocent" to law enforcement or prosecutors. Here it is from the mouth of a law school professor:

And, from a lawyer who wrote a comic book explaining the law:
            http://lawcomic.net/guide/?page_id=5

And the topic of greatest interest: "Guilt Without Fault", the over criminalization of American law
            http://lawcomic.net/guide/?p=1008
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 27, 2016, 04:57 AM. Reason: Left out IMPORTANT word
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Good example. I appreciate and respect law. Someone has to judge how much innocent we are !. Nowadays everyone has become those judges. I communicate using WhatsApp. send mail using mail servers. They have full access to that. Browsing history is there. They can use that. They have multiple apps looking in to what-all we do. That is OK with me. All my contacts are in contact manager. My only complaint is do not use my purchased bandwidth to collect data from me. If I take 6 photos of some event, egg. yesterday there was a peacock spreading feathers next to the house. I took 6 photos. Ultimately I will delete 4 of them, clip the others to show only relevant information. All I request is do not upload all 6 photos at full resolution before I get the time to delete unwanted ones :-)
              Last edited by vsmmath; Jul 27, 2016, 12:11 AM. Reason: wanted to add a little information

Comment

I inadvertently left out an important word in my post: NOT. In the "land of the free and home of the brave" law enforcement is not your friend. TO THEM, saying you have "nothing to hide" doesn't mean you are innocent. There are so many laws now on the books that now ignore Mens Rae (guilty mind) AND it is impossible to "know the law". As a result any individual is likely to violate some law one or more times a day. It only takes an aggressive prosecutor to indict you, and in America prosecutors control what a grand jury sees and hears, so they could literally indict a ham sandwich.
                To make matters worse uncountable numbers of laws (attempts have been made but failed to count all possible laws that have penal or financial elements) have been changed or added that change harmless, victimless or self-punishing behavior into crimes classified as felonies with stiff fines and prison times. So, picking up a bird feather laying on the sidewalk can get you fined thousands of dollars and years in jail. Or, failing to follow a restrictive law past in New York can get you fines and jail time in Nebreska. Your precocious 3 year old figures out how to unlock your front door and in a flash runs out into the street and is hit by a car. You are grieving the worst event in your life, but that doesn't matter. A prosecutor will interpret some vaguely written law about "child abuse" and indict you for that. In addition to legal fees that could reach into $100,000's defending yourself, you could end up paying large fines and doing jail time, as if losing your child wasn't punishment enough.

The video explains why talking to police can get an innocent person making innocent statements into serious legal trouble. Remember, the police can legally lie to you but you cannot lie to them. Unfair? Yes. But using RICO civil asset forfeiture laws a policeman can stop your car on a made up pretext, search it without a warrant (especially if you say you have nothing to hide and give them permission), discover the $15,000 cash in a bag you got for having just sold a boat and confiscate it with the claim it "might be" drug money. It will cost you more than $15,000 in legal fees to get the money back. To make matters worse states like Oklahoma, Texas, Kentucky, and several others made legal the ability of the policeman who stopped you to demand your debit cards, swipe them in a portable card reader and empty your bank account because "if you were carrying $15,000 in drug money the money in your bank account is probably drug money too". You'll never get it back because a RICO doesn't require police to return money to people who later prove themselves innocent. And you thought that in America people are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Silly you. Here is a recent example of a police encounter. Details are under the video:
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u0sN369hR4c
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 27, 2016, 05:58 AM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Good examples of what is happening, this is what I visualize. Some times people act crazy, their acts are so outrageous, hard to think that it is possible. Yes being true to ourself does not work and is not practical. But we are what we are, after a certain age we cannot change. May be some one could have changed 60 yrs back when I was 10.
                  Last edited by vsmmath; Jul 27, 2016, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Good examples of what is happening, this is what I visualize. Some times people act crazy, their acts are so outrageous, hard to think that it is possible. Yes being true to ourself does not work and is not practical. But we are what we are, after a certain age we cannot change. May be some one could have changed 60 yrs back when I was 10.
                    Sixty years ago I was 15, and it was a different age. More free and much safer. When we started going to school as a 1st grader we essentially became free range kids who could come and go was we pleased, without fear of harm from strangers or perverts. I('d go to the library and spend all day there. I'd pay 25 cents to go to the local theater and see two full length movies, a news reel and two cartoons, then I'd stay and watch them all over again. At 15 I was riding my bike out east onto the plains 10 miles east of south east of Englewood,CO and hunting and fishing at the newly created Cherry Creek reservoir, and into the mountains 15 miles west to hunt and fish. No one gave a second glance to a kid riding a bike with a rifle and fishing pole strapped to his back. It was a civil and polite time because everyone KNEW that most people carried pistols in pockets or glove compartments and many who drove pickup trucks had rifles in racks in the back window. Firearms were common and ammo was cheap. You could get them from mail order through Sears or Montgomery Wards or Penny's, or go to your local hardware or sporting goods store and by them using George Washingtons as your only ID. The more the 2nd Amendment has been infringed the more dangerous it has become. Today, most mass shootings are by mentally deranged individuals who deliberate target "Gun Free" zones, but people still continue to believe that a mere sign makes them bullet proof. Strange, because even though banks are "Gun Free" zones when the money is delivered it is with armed guards, but we still depend on "Gun Free" zone signs to protect our most valuable things, our children.

Comment

Yes life has changed......

True, in those days life was different. We had a coffee plantation, I used to live there whenever I could. We had a double barrel gun. Rarely I used a gun. Mostly for scaring or shooting monkeys, we had orange tees, 500+, Jack fruit trees and coffee. A monkeys visit would make us loose a lot of crops. I learn t to fly. Got a PPL. Just to spend time usefully joined Deffence School of Engineering. Wanted to become a pilot, ultimately became a solution provider. Came back to agriculture (coconut and banana plantation) 10 years back. I have done full automation of irrigation system here. I want to make further improvements by using Arduino. So started working on my old system. I cannot forget those days when roads were to be deserted by 8 PM. Now it is bumper to bumper traffic. Life has changed. I used to go to head post office at 2 in the morning to make an international call. For land lines there was a waiting period of 8 yrs. Now we have multiple mobiles. Chats to keep day long contact with children. From one corner of the farm I call my wife if there is any information to convey. But data plans are quite expensive. There is no way I can get a cable connection here. To communicate and exchange information has become easy. We are to be happy about that.

Comment

True, in those days life was different. We had a coffee plantation,... s. I learn t to fly. Got a PPL. .....
                        Amazing. I spent 18 years of my life teaching various sciences and maths at HS and college level and then another 18 or so years in my own computer consulting and criminal forensics business. I, too, learned to fly and got a PPL. However, I only flew for business, never for pleasure. Too expensive, but flying was enjoyable regardless of the purpose! My last client gave me an offer my wife wouldn't let me refuse so I accepted it. Spent most of my time there writing in house software using the Qt 4 API. and retired 11 years later, in 2008. Haven't written a line of code since then. Spend my time with my wife and playing Minecraft with my grandkids, when I am not taking them fishing.

Comment

I love flying. It is a great pleasure. First solo is thrilling. I flew in old planes. Tigermoth and later in Cessna. Those were great days. Where I was going for learning was a deserted road. Today Bangalore International Airport is constructed a few miles further. So it has become a very busy road.

I have spent most of my life in making new things. I get great personal satisfaction. Money is not the criteria. But money comes when we pursue anything workable with devotion. Within a few months after purchasing, I changed a C code going through all the functions and that became our proprietary way of working with capturing images on 8 bit computers. Achieved printing on ceramics and that became proprietary, our good business for 10 years. Sold the technology for a good sum 15 years back. When we set our mind on something we can do anything, if we are confident.

One who thinks he can conquer the world, can conquer the world
                          ( I read it in 1964. Positive thinking, quote by Napoleon Bonaparte)

Comment

I love flying. It is a great pleasure. First solo is thrilling. I flew in old planes. Tigermoth and later in Cessna. Those were great days. Where I was going for learning was a deserted road. Today Bang ... . When we set our mind on something we can do anything, if we are confident. ...
                            Being pilot in command of an aircraft is exhilarating! Watching the world go by at FL10 gives the feeling that you and your aircraft are motionless and that the world is sliding by below you like it was on a moving belt. Flying at night is even more glorious. The stars above and the stars below gives one the feeling that they are in outer space! While doing night flights with my instructor I asked him about emergency landings. He said "Well, when you think are you are getting close to the ground turn on your landing lights. If you don't like what you see turn them off!"

Your attitude about success is one that I remember being the attitude of most folks here in America fifty years ago. That's why we landed on the Moon. Today, it is not "Ask what you can do for your country", it is "what can my country do for me". You, sir, are a true American!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                              He said "Well, when you think are you are getting close to the ground turn on your landing lights. If you don't like what you see turn them off!"

Your attitude about success is one that I remember being the attitude of most folks here in America fifty years ago. That's why we landed on the Moon. Today, it is not "Ask what you can do for your country", it is "what can my country do for me". You, sir, are a true American!
                              My childhood was quite different. Being a owner of a plantation in those days was highly respected. I remember people giving way to me where ever I go. Being respected at childhood gives a moral responsibility. People lookup on us. Telling a lie is taboo. Walking with head held high becomes a practice. To-day things have changed. People are made to divide so that ruling is easy. Freebies to people makes them lazy. I spend 50 times more for my hosue expense where as in the name of poor man divided people get complete provision for a month for 1/50 of that.

Rich can do anything. I was surprised when a small land holder could give guarantee for a fee everyday to the same court. Felony is something not known here. Perjury, people have not heard about it. That is life today here. Your rules are good for your country and people is what I think. Only when you come out, you understand what is it outside. Yes "what else can my country do for me" is the daily business.

Comment

Working...
                              X