Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a little help with Partition Magic.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a little help with Partition Magic.

I have an empty TB drive that I would like to install an operating system. When I open Partition Magic to create a partition table, I get the following:

A box that contains the type of partition, in my case, set to 'Primary'.
    A box that is empty but is identified as Parition Name. It does not allow you to type in this box.
    A box that contains the 'file system', my choice is Ext4
    A box that is entitled Label.

Finally boxes used to either 'cancel' or 'add'.

Memory suggests that I should have a selection "mount point" instead of Label.

If I install Kubuntu 16.04 LTS on this HDD, do I put K16LTS in the mount point selection or "/" so that I set the partition to boot?

I apologize for being so obtuse, but the process is different from what I am familiar.

I like the label to read K16LTS if that is possible; I have several HDDs and SSDs and would like them to appear with a name that is more recognizable when I open Dolphin. As it is, I have a drive that contains /movies and a drive that contains /SG1 and show that way when I open Dolphin, but I do not remember what I did to make that happen. I want to have dual-boot with each Operating System on a separate SSD, but it would also be nice if they are represented by Label, if that would allow them to show as K14LTS and K16LTS respectively on separate SSD's when I open Dolphin. As it is, they are identified by computer names and not easily distinguishable. Thanks

With Partition Magic running, are you selecting -- clicking on -- the TB harddrive?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

yes

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      With Partition Magic running, are you selecting -- clicking on -- the TB harddrive?

Comment

I have made a rather stupid mistake and don't even know when or how. The USB 3.0 stick that contained my "Partition Magic" application got erased accidentally. It was a free issue I made quite some time ago. I cannot afford the $69 required to get it back and can't find a "free" download, so I really don't need the repair info any more. I wish I could get my free copy back; I prefer it to parted magic. Oh Well! Shab

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
        yes

Comment

You can always just put GParted Live on your USB, good for partitioning and it has other utilities on it (e.g., TestDisk, a terminal, etc.).
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks, I am downloading as I write this.

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
            You can always just put GParted Live on your USB, good for partitioning and it has other utilities on it (e.g., TestDisk, a terminal, etc.).

Comment

Working...
            X